Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The San Francisco Port Schedule has been updated and it shows the 1st ships of Q4.
It confirms my post last week that VIKING DESTINY will call on 7 Oct and the RCC ANTWERP on 16 Oct.
I don't believe anybody, including those that charge for such information, reported this before me.
This perhaps isn't too surprising since
a. I received a personal tip on these 2 ships and
b. these 2 vessels would not automatically feature, for a number of reasons, on an experienced Tesla ship hunter's radar. I certainly wouldn't have singled them out.

Anyway, what I can reveal today is that RCC ANTWERP will be heading to Europe - once again, you heard it here first!

The San Francisco Port Schedule has been updated and it shows the 1st ships of Q4.
It confirms my post last week that VIKING DESTINY will call on 7 Oct and the RCC ANTWERP on 16 Oct.
I don't believe anybody, including those that charge for such information, reported this before me.
This perhaps isn't too surprising since
a. I received a personal tip on these 2 ships and
b. these 2 vessels would not automatically feature, for a number of reasons, on an experienced Tesla ship hunter's radar. I certainly wouldn't have singled them out.

Anyway, what I can reveal today is that RCC ANTWERP will be heading to Europe - once again, you heard it here first!
I reported it to my supporters at noon (CEST).
So there was value to a paid service this time around it seems ;)

Last edited:
Hi all,

does anybody have information about shipment from the factory in Shanghai? Because i read on the internet, that Tesla ships from Shanghai to in Q4.

Nothing as of yet, it's still rumoured that RHD Model 3's will be arriving from China in Q4, but there's nothing concrete. At least nothing that I've found online.

@TroyTeslike believes that only RHD Model 3's will be shipped out of Shanghai to Europe, destined for the UK market, as well as AU, NZ and Singapore. But has no idea if it will be for Q4 or Q1 2021.

I'm keeping an lookout online and this thread as I'd rather delay a month or two to get a MIC Model 3. I wonder if it's worth making it's own thread

Mr Miserable, oh, that's me, has said LHD Model 3 to EU only this quarter.
Logically it would seem that RHD vehicles for all markets might be Shanghai-sourced until Berlin comes online. Since the only major markets for RHD are APAC except for UK it might be simpler that way. The only major impediment would seem to be shipping times.

What is wrong about that logic? If it will be only LHD I don't really understand why. Is there direct evidence? Either way there would seem to be shipping contracts already in evidence, would there not? Frankly I worry when my logic seems in conflict with your outlook. Automotive News seems to think RHD, but when?
Tesla intends to export China-made Model 3s to Europe, report says

Last edited by a moderator:
Logically it would seem that RHD vehicles for all markets might be Shanghai-sourced until Berlin comes online. Since the only major markets for RHD are APAC except for UK it might be simpler that way. The only major impediment would seem to be shipping times.

What is wrong about that logic? If it will be only LHD I don't really understand why. Is there direct evidence? Either way there would seem to be shipping contracts already in evidence, would there not? Frankly I worry when my logic seems in conflict with your outlook. Automotive News seems to think RHD, but when?
Tesla intends to export China-made Model 3s to Europe, report says

I agree with your logic - it seems almost blindingly obvious, however as far as I am aware for Q4, only LHD EU models will be shipped from Shanghai. Now I have been sitting on this info for some time and the plan may have changed in the meantime but my source has been unerringly correct in other areas and so I will stick with his info for the moment. The idea is that the Shanghai shipments will supplement, rather than replace, Fremont production in Q4. The 1st ship of Q4 to EU from Fremont has already been identified and I will be monitoring Shanghai in an attempt to identify the 1st shipment from there, although that will be more of a challenge. Having said that I have already produced a shortlist that is unfortunately anything but short. I shall try again later in the week.

I agree with your logic - it seems almost blindingly obvious, however as far as I am aware for Q4, only LHD EU models will be shipped from Shanghai. Now I have been sitting on this info for some time and the plan may have changed in the meantime but my source has been unerringly correct in other areas and so I will stick with his info for the moment. The idea is that the Shanghai shipments will supplement, rather than replace, Fremont production in Q4. The 1st ship of Q4 to EU from Fremont has already been identified and I will be monitoring Shanghai in an attempt to identify the 1st shipment from there, although that will be more of a challenge. Having said that I have already produced a shortlist that is unfortunately anything but short. I shall try again later in the week.

Thank you for your work.

Assuming supplemented production from Shanghai, rumoured changes to the M3 in Q4 would be synced between factories?

Really interested to see how the overall shipping process works form China if it kicks in and what impact it has on those ordering in next quarter. It’s like chapter 2 is about to start.

Na-na Na-na Na-na Na-na SHIPPING !

Me too.

China is the world's factory. I imagine whatever it produces will be mass-mass-mass produced and shipped via existing shipping and transport infrastructure around the world.

I will know for sure about Australia and New Zealand RHD production, about October 10 when hidden vins begin to be assigned. China production has vins begin with LRW and US of course is 5YJ. I am expecting 2021 vins beginning mid October.

I too am expecting Fremont to continue RHD for Q4. If we see RHD this quarter out of China, it will be be mainly Hong Kong and Macau first.

For the shipping out of China, the tracking ability is a work in progress for me.

Hopefully not the TapTes train ......
If by train then it will be as there's no other route, although I don't think there's enough capacity or physical space to be transporting ready built model 3's.

The train journey can be done in 18 days, I suspect the taptes items along with other small packages are disembarked/reembarked for custom clearances. I also suspect if you get your paperwork prepared in advance to pay all the relevant taxes then the 18 days to London could be achieved.

VAG use the Yiwu for transporting car parts, but from what I've been able to find out in the rail industry it's not currently used for transporting whole cars. The difference in gauge sizes along various part of the route add significant complication due to the mechanism used to increase or reduce the axle width. Height and weight restrictions on these mechanisms probably rule out railway carriages that hold cars:

Variable gauge - Wikipedia

The rail routes are container only because of the 2 transhipments required because of the diffferent gauges. Unless Tesla get into bed with an EU manufacturer who exports to China and uses their facilities for unloading (and reassembly) I don't think we will see the cars being shipped by rail. It's still cheaper and easier to send them by sea.