Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They have said they will reassess in 3 weeks so I’d agree, no changes in the short term.
I was working out today that it will be more like 5 weeks to assess the effectiveness of the current measures, and that is assuming most of the population follow them. I would not mind if it was only stupid people were not protecting themselves when they could that got the results of their behaviour - natural selection at it's best, but if they get infected and end up in ICU that is a critical resource they are denying someone else, someone who could be a front line worker putting themselves in harms way to look after others, not to mention the others they could pass it on to on the way.

5 weeks calculation comes from: 5-7 days incubation, so anyone infected before lock down could take a week to show, then a week to get bad enough to be hospitalised, and then another week after that to recover or die (that sounds so harsh said out loud).

But...the people on lock down now are typically going to be sharing their space with others and will be infectious before symptoms show if they have it. There are 8 people in our house but lets say an average of 3-4 people per household who will be a week or two behind the primary infected person = 5 weeks before any real impact on the number of tested cases and outcomes, and as I said, factor in key workers who are MORE at risk because of the roles they carry out and the lack of PPE, those numbers could continue to rise even without the reckless people who think it's 'not real' or they will just bounce back from it, irrespective of the other people they will infect in the process.

Rant over, yes I want my car, mainly before I decide the gloomy economic outlook makes it so much of a bad decision that I persuade myself to cancel it (and have you seen the effect on used car prices - ouch), but no, I would not want to put anyone at risk to get it...if they can safely arrange for me to have it in a safe environment and won't be offended by the full face snorkelling mask and thick rubber gloves I will be wearing then fine, but I'm not getting within 2 metres of anyone and will be bleaching (diluted) all the surfaces before touching anything - not even a Tesla is worth dying over!

Last edited:
I was with you up until the bleaching all surfaces part. I'm not doing that to a brand new car. I'll simply not bother driving it for a few days. I read today that groceries aren't likely to be a vector for the virus in practical terms, but one should be wary of self-service checkouts, use contactless, etc, so I don't think car surfaces will be a problem either.

Like you I'm super keen, but my keenness is likely to wane with every passing day. I've been building up to collection day this Friday and it's been snatched away. I can't blame anyone, obviously, but at the same time I'm a bit gutted. Really hoping that Tesla find some way to transport cars safely to people in the coming weeks, as I suspect there's a 0% chance of the lockdown being lifted after 3 weeks.

Reactions: AnthonyLR
I have received a call from Tesla HQ to say I can pick my car up from Southampton tomorrow. I live in Southampton so it’s a good call for me. Does anyone know where in Southampton, presumably at the Port, I should go to collect?
Tesla said they would send me an email but so far.......?

I have received a call from Tesla HQ to say I can pick my car up from Southampton tomorrow. I live in Southampton so it’s a good call for me. Does anyone know where in Southampton, presumably at the Port, I should go to collect?
Tesla said they would send me an email but so far.......?
Would love to know when you find out - I had heard they were opening somewhere at Winnall (by Winchester opposite Tesco at the bottom of the A34) and calling it their Southampton branch - not confirmed, neither was the expected date of opening but that would be much closer to me than Bristol which is where I had planned to pick up, the port would be just fine too, especially with how much quieter the roads are getting now.

Just received this message from Tesla:

Your delivery is scheduled for (redacted) at Southampton. The address for the Location is West Bay House Southampton SO15 1HF.

Please arrive 15 minutes before your scheduled delivery appointment.

I was told by someone in the motor trade the plan was a Tesla sales centre near Winchester and a service centre in Southampton. That doesn’t make a great deal of sense - normally both work better together on the same site to share staff resources etc. But then nothing about Tesla is normal!

• Informative
Reactions: x-rm and Durzel
Just received this message from Tesla:

Your delivery is scheduled for (redacted) at Southampton. The address for the Location is West Bay House Southampton SO15 1HF.

Please arrive 15 minutes before your scheduled delivery appointment.

I was told by someone in the motor trade the plan was a Tesla sales centre near Winchester and a service centre in Southampton. That doesn’t make a great deal of sense - normally both work better together on the same site to share staff resources etc. But then nothing about Tesla is normal!
That is at the port. I’m also in Southampton, but have yet to have the call/text even though I know my car is there.
I’ll be interested to know how you get on as I’m trying to arrange with Heathrow to collect from Southampton.

Typical ‘Tesla day’...arrived at Southampton Port to pick up car. Nobody in the Building named in the email. Spotted guy with number plates asked him the deal. Told to wait and someone would come and get me, waited 45 mins no one came to get me. Went over to big white tent where they were prepping cars. Directed 400 yards to portacabin, nobody at the portacabin, bumped into helpful bloke who was a delivery driver. He called Keiran who directed me back to prep tent. Found a guy who seemed to be in charge (?!) who told me my car was back where I had been waiting for 45 minutes. The car had a different number plate to those I had been given by Tesla HQ, but upon checking it had the correct vin number. I was told registration number had been changed (?!). Keys in the car and all mine.
No handover as such so make sure you have read at least some of the manual!!
Call to insurance company to change registration number and after 2 hours I was on my way.
Whilst at the cabin there was a notice board with collections listed 48 yesterday and 20 or so today (although I didn’t see anyone). Lots of Teslas in various places around the Port and going through the Prep tent.
My car had been washed but not very well and brief check over hasn’t revealed any damage so hopefully no problems to follow.

Reactions: HIWEX
Typical ‘Tesla day’...arrived at Southampton Port to pick up car. Nobody in the Building named in the email. Spotted guy with number plates asked him the deal. Told to wait and someone would come and get me, waited 45 mins no one came to get me. Went over to big white tent where they were prepping cars. Directed 400 yards to portacabin, nobody at the portacabin, bumped into helpful bloke who was a delivery driver. He called Keiran who directed me back to prep tent. Found a guy who seemed to be in charge (?!) who told me my car was back where I had been waiting for 45 minutes. The car had a different number plate to those I had been given by Tesla HQ, but upon checking it had the correct vin number. I was told registration number had been changed (?!). Keys in the car and all mine.
No handover as such so make sure you have read at least some of the manual!!
Call to insurance company to change registration number and after 2 hours I was on my way.
Whilst at the cabin there was a notice board with collections listed 48 yesterday and 20 or so today (although I didn’t see anyone). Lots of Teslas in various places around the Port and going through the Prep tent.
My car had been washed but not very well and brief check over hasn’t revealed any damage so hopefully no problems to follow.
I’m pleased you have it!
My car is also in Southampton, as is my office. I just can’t find anyone able to join the dots so I can collect......

I’m pleased you have it!
My car is also in Southampton, as is my office. I just can’t find anyone able to join the dots so I can collect......
Just had the Text, well technically - they sent it to the office phone so it came out as one of those robot voices, it was from Heathrow and I had specified a Bristol pickup so that was a little weird as well.
I spoke to them, they pinged my car and it is in Southampton still so they are trying to switch it so I can pick up from there as well - with everything that is going on for us, and everybody else, at the moment I have to say a little good news is very welcome :D

Reactions: bogeybuster
Just had the Text, well technically - they sent it to the office phone so it came out as one of those robot voices, it was from Heathrow and I had specified a Bristol pickup so that was a little weird as well.
I spoke to them, they pinged my car and it is in Southampton still so they are trying to switch it so I can pick up from there as well - with everything that is going on for us, and everybody else, at the moment I have to say a little good news is very welcome
Yeah I've spoken with them too, seems that they're moving the cars from Southampton to either Heathrow or Leeds based on Southern or Northern collection locations originally chosen.

For me that means that although I live in Derby and I was due to collect from Birmingham, they've assigned mine to Heathrow when Leeds is 50 miles closer to me.

I've had a text about my S Performance also. Delivery by end of month from Heathrow. Was also going to collect from Bristol, I'm in south Wales and Heathrow not far off 200 miles away. Wonder what the situation is driving that far in the current climate. I'm a key worker (GP) but hardly an essential journey when I've already got a car!

Spoke to them, they're seeing if they can either get it to Bristol or home deliver.

Then I've just got the issue to VTing my current Model S and probably overlapping the insurance on both cars ...

I've had a text about my S Performance also. Delivery by end of month from Heathrow. Was also going to collect from Bristol, I'm in south Wales and Heathrow not far off 200 miles away. Wonder what the situation is driving that far in the current climate. I'm a key worker (GP) but hardly an essential journey when I've already got a car!

Spoke to them, they're seeing if they can either get it to Bristol or home deliver.

Then I've just got the issue to VTing my current Model S and probably overlapping the insurance on both cars ...
s'ok, just tell them you're going for a walk, like all the other people out there :rolleyes:

I spoke to them, they pinged my car and it is in Southampton still so they are trying to switch it so I can pick up from there as well - with everything that is going on for us, and everybody else, at the moment I have to say a little good news is very welcome :D
Yep, me too, and the reg. picking up from Southampton, hopefully Monday. I’ll not actually believe it until it happens

Reactions: bogeybuster
Yeah I've spoken with them too, seems that they're moving the cars from Southampton to either Heathrow or Leeds based on Southern or Northern collection locations originally chosen.

For me that means that although I live in Derby and I was due to collect from Birmingham, they've assigned mine to Heathrow when Leeds is 50 miles closer to me.
They told me Heathrow or Newcastle? Nearest to your postcode.
I got my text and spoke with them today, looks like collection is on Monday from either Heathrow or Southampton. 3 sleeps to go.....

Reactions: Durzel

Derby here too and got a text telling me I can pick up from Heathrow !
originally got a text saying the would deliver

Was due to collect my x from Bristol today but bottled it when lockdown announced. Despite being a key worker don’t feel it’s right to expose me and others to risk. Now offered Heathrow but have declined until unknown future date. Disappointed not to get car ordered in jan but that’s life. Have paid in full so hope they will keep her safe until then.

Reactions: Mr H
Yeah I also had a text saying they'd deliver. Think they're struggling for delivery drivers.
I have been told my M3 LR is in Southampton and will move to Newcastle soon and then I will be invited to collect. Far from sure that I should be travelling that sort of distance as I live in Derby. Perhaps those of us living in Derby/Nottingham should suggest Tesla deliver them all together this area

Reactions: ringi and J8JOE