Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I understand, sorry, maybe a bad way of explaining, but what I meant is, like getting a status update, like "in production" "on transport" or so.
I’m afraid Tesla don’t provide any sort of updates. In my experience, you even need to take what their telephone agents tell you with a pinch of salt. It’s not that they’re trying to deceive you, just that they don’t really seem to have any accurate information to pass on.

Apart from getting your hidden VIN, which is usually an indication that your car is in transit, the next thing you’ll get is a call or email with your delivery date. In my case my delivery date appeared on my Tesla account page a couple of days before they contacted me, so keep checking!

I understand, sorry, maybe a bad way of explaining, but what I meant is, like getting a status update, like "in production" "on transport" or so.

The car that you end up taking home with you was not built for you. They just build a bulk load of cars to a certain spec in the hope that there will be people wanting to buy them. So the whole concept of your car "in production" doesn't exist. Your order just sites in a queue waiting for it to come to the front and get matched with a car that meets your specification. This "vin matching" normally occurs at some point when the car is on the boat, but even then, may be reallocated, possibly right up to point of delivery. Excess cars of your spec, where there are less people in the queue than cars made seem to typically end up on 'inventory' where anyone can queue jump or change their spec to, or they just go back into the pot for anyone who ordered that spec 'custom car'.

When a car is "vin matched", you will not be told until much later on. But it is possible to look at the "source code" (a whole subject in itself and lots of topics on it) and get an unofficial sneak peek. The date that you are vin matched normally gives an indication as to what boat that car is. Hence this thread.

The first official thing you know, is a couple of weeks before delivery date when various texts and 'paperwork' start flying around.

Impressive! Tesla Delivery Called me today and said the car ive ordered on the 25 of may is paired with me, on its way from freemont. Got the vin-number but it have not arrived to europe yet. (i live in Sweden). Tesla estimated the delivery to 26 of june. Thats fast!

01 June is the official start of the hurricane season but this year has started prematurely as we are already on the letter C and it's only the 2nd June.
Tropical storm Cristobal has fermented in the Gulf Of Mexico and is giving the Yucatan peninsula a bit of a drenching at the moment. It is expected to move further north into the Gulf and threaten the US Gulf states. It's a little unusual in that most tropical storms (that can develop into hurricanes) form in the Atlantic and strengthen as they move across the Caribbean.

At the moment the picture looks clear and it looks like GRAND VENUS may have a clear run across the Caribbean however things can change very quickly. The good news is that modern ships can outrun a hurricane and with accurate satellite weather information select a route that avoids the worst of the weather. Nevertheless as the GRAND VENUS approaches Panama it should be prepared for some very heavy showers that are common at this time of the year. Panama is too far south to get hit by a full blown hurricane but well developed and slow moving thunderstorms are common. The area (and the canal) need the rain after years of drought.

Reactions: Roy W.
The GLOVIS SUN is making its way up along the Californian coast and is due to arrive at Benicia later tonight.
As mentioned earlier (post #3520) it will leave Benicia tomorrow evening but remain in the Bay area (presumably at anchor) until Thursday lunchtime when it will finally depart without visiting Pier 80.

Frankly I am not surprised as I think ASIAN GLORY is the last ship this quarter.

Hi.
Does anyone know if there will be a delivery to Iceland in june ?

I ordered a M3LR on 3 march this year.

There is just the one ship enroute to Europe at the moment, the GRAND VENUS which will arrive at Zeebrugge around 18 June. If you have a hidden VIN on your account (plenty of threads on this forum on how to discover whether you have a hidden VIN) you can probably assume your car is onboard. When and how it moves from Zeebrugge to Iceland I don't know.

Edit: Additionally, there were a lot of Model 3s that have remained at Zeebrugge since the end of March that could not be distributed because of COVID-19. Now the logistics are starting to ramp up again you may get a delivery from that stock.

Last edited:
I received a message by Tesla that a car is assigned to me... living in The Netherlands and was wondering if I can expect this car is on the GRAND VENUS? They told me that the delivery date will be near the 27th of June. So 9 days after the expected arrival of the GV in Zeebrugge...

I received a message by Tesla that a car is assigned to me... living in The Netherlands and was wondering if I can expect this car is on the GRAND VENUS? They told me that the delivery date will be near the 27th of June. So 9 days after the expected arrival of the GV in Zeebrugge...
That sounds good for a car that is aboard the GRAND VENUS.
Ik wens je veel succes

Reactions: Roy W.
thanks for your reply! Do you know the current position of the GRAND VENUS? Unfortunately the app of “marine traffic” does not show the location anymore...
upload_2020-6-3_8-38-11.png

The GRAND VENUS is actually due to arrive at the entrance to the canal on 5 June. I'm expecting it to transit the canal early on 6 June.
The ship will 'reappear' on Marinetraffic when it is approaching the canal. You will be able to follow the transit without problem however within an hour of departing the canal the signal will be lost again.

• Informative
Reactions: cliver18 and Roy W.