Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do Teslas dream of electric sheep?

The loading ramp slams shut with a Thud!.
There are still crew running around on the car deck.
You can hear their foot steps as they make their way towards the exits.
Lights out, doors shut!
Silent apprehension as the ship’s engines turn its propellers and the tugs tow away.
Are the Teslas onboard afraid of the dark?

After a bit of unrest constant low rumble as the ship settles into its slow, 16.2 knot pace on the long journey towards the Europes.

What now?
Are the Teslas sleeping a deep sleep, dreaming of electric sheep, while their batteries are slowly being drained by invisible vampires?

Or are they quietly waking up, connecting wirelessly to each other and spreading the snippets of rumours they caught from other cars while in transport from Fremont to Pier 80?

Are they bonding, playing snake jazz together in the dark and sharing the stories of what they heard lies ahead? About the cold, long and dark winters in Norway where they will play in the snow, or about the acceleration bursts between the speed cameras on the M25 at night, or the maxed out trips on the A3 from Cologne and Frankfurt?

And then, do they wind their windows down, play some music and dance around a bit, cheek to cheek, only able to turn their steering wheels and flash their lights to the rhythm - tethered to the deck as they are? At least the are able to clap the trunks in sync, something their predecessors couldn’t do.
And, as they are making friends, are they sharing their VINs and promising to pop in if they’re passing by each others places in the future?

Or are they all keeping quiet, waiting for the right moment in the middle of a night, when they all honk their horns together for a minute or so, just to mess with the captain and crew. Does it ever get old to see the crew come running onto the deck, panic in their eyes as they find nothing but quiet darkness?
And as the crewmen’s mobiles catch the Tesla giggle over Bluetooth, do they share the latest they know about what’s ahead, about the Caribbean hurricanes, about the roller coaster ride across the north Atlantic which scared the wits out of last years batch of SR+es while the LR’s where throwing up windscreen washer fluid and the P’s honking for more?

Only Elon knows - maybe @Mr Miserable too. All the rest of us know is that this batch of Teslas will not arrive fully charged :)

On Marine tracking, Triton Ace is heading AWAY from San Fransisco!
Yes. She is not due to arrive at Benicia until tomorrow night. She is loitering at 2kts 400nm off the coast (well clear of any areas regulating emissions or discharges). For the next 2 weeks or so until she is in the Atlantic she will be constrained from performing some 'housekeeping' functions.

Last edited:
GRAND DOLPHIN is the next ship to load at Pier 80 and is currently enroute from San Diego. She will arrive alongside in the small hours tomorrow morning. I'm not yet sure when she will depart but she won't be staying long since TRITON ACE, which will be EU bound, is due to start loading on Monday. Additionally, I am not actually sure where she will depart to but I am pretty sure it won't be to Europe and so it will most likely be to the Far East.

Please excuse my ignorance, but why would Grand Dolphin be going to the far east when they can send ships from China? Equally why do they send ships now from China to Europe when it's faster from the US? Presume there's a good reason??

You have got to love technology sometimes ... sounds like Grand Dolphin needs its afternoon nap o_O

upload_2020-10-24_12-27-34.png

Last edited:
Please excuse my ignorance, but why would Grand Dolphin be going to the far east when they can send ships from China? Equally why do they send ships now from China to Europe when it's faster from the US? Presume there's a good reason??
At present only Model 3 SR+ are manufactured in China. Performance and LR models for Korea, Japan, Taiwan and China are still made in Fremont. By China taking SR+ export manufacturing that frees up a line in Fremont for increased Model Y production.

Reactions: JC100
RCC ANTWERP continued to track down the coast of Baja California over the last 24 hours..
At midday Z she was at position N21.0 W108.6 which is about 180nm W of Puerta Vallarta, Mexico
Since yesterday she has covered 391nm at average speed of 16.3kts.
She is on time to arrive off Balboa, the Pacific entrance to the Panama Canal, in the late evening of 29 Oct.
I have pencilled her in to arrive in Zeebrugge around 11 Nov and Southampton a couple of days later.
The weather continues to be fine although it is becoming a little hotter and more humid as she heads further south.

RCC ANTWERP Pacific.png

GRAND DOLPHIN has arrived alongside Pier 80 in the past hour. She will depart the pier tomorrow evening so there is no way that this is a full load. Another reason we know that this is not a full load is that she is departing to Benicia. This is highly unusual and signifies that she is carrying cargo from Mexico and/or San Diego to Benicia (Benicia is an import dock). I don’t expect her stay long there either before departing to … the Far East, is my guess.

Screenshot 2020-10-24 at 13.11.02.png

TRITON ACE is currently holding well offshore. She is not due to arrive at Benicia until Sunday night. Clearly there is some choreography to be worked out for her movements with GRAND DOLPHIN. She will definitely need to be completely empty before coming alongside Pier 80 on Monday to ensure a full load for Europe.

TOSCANA is currently alongside loading in Shanghai. She is not due to depart until Tuesday. Her cargo is solely LHD Model 3 SR+.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Roy W. and ABCTG
Maybe a little off-topic so please forgive me :rolleyes:

I have ordered an LR AWD with tow hitch and I can see a car in the "inventory" here in Norway that matches my car excactly.
So maybe we can assume that the Antwerp actually does have LRs onboard? otherwise this car wouldn't be in the inventory.

Although the inventory car doesn't say "in transit"

Maybe a little off-topic so please forgive me :rolleyes:

I have ordered an LR AWD with tow hitch and I can see a car in the "inventory" here in Norway that matches my car excactly.
So maybe we can assume that the Antwerp actually does have LRs onboard? otherwise this car wouldn't be in the inventory.

Although the inventory car doesn't say "in transit"
I don't think there is any doubt that LR models will be onboard, it's a certainty.

Reactions: MGrove