Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the mean time we in the Netherlands are getting emails from Tesla that most, if not all, Model 3 deliveries will take place in December. With Toscana already arriving end of November, we're wondering why. So, we have a theory that I'd like to test with you @Mr Miserable :)

There's is something a bit weird with Tannhauser's schedule; when you check out the schedule she's on now, she will go to Bremerhave after Zeebrugge, but when you search for "Zeebrugge" to "Amsterdam" voyages on the Wallenius Wilhelmsen website, you will get the result for Tannhauser:

Screenshot_20201111_120805.jpg Screenshot_20201111_120745.jpg

Do you think it's likely Tannhauser will take all Dutch Model 3's (including the ones offloaded by Toscana) on board and take them to the Koopman Terminal?

• Informative
Reactions: OttoR
RCC ANTWERP arrived off Zeebrugge last night but couldn’t dock.
In order to get to the car handling part of Zeebrugge docks ships have to go through a set of locks - the Pierre Vandamme locks
These have a record of being troublesome and since 2018 have been undergoing an extensive renovation and repair programme that will not complete until summer 2023. Work was being carried out on the locks since Monday and my guess is that they severely overran since no car carriers were moving through them and other car carriers were being delayed too.
Anyway she managed to dock about an hour ago.

She is due into Southampton on Friday morning - I fully expect this to slip right and I will post an updated ETA as soon as I learn about it.

TRITON ACE is now in the Atlantic about 180nm NE of Puerto Rico and making 16kts.
The weather looks OK for the moment but that is likely to change as she heads further north.
She will arrive in Zeebrugge on 20 Nov and Southampton on 22 Nov

Triton Ace Atlantic Progress.png

GRAND AURORA has about 480 nm to run to the Panama Canal.
At midday Z she was at N9.1 W85.6 and was maintaining 17kts.
She will arrive at the entrance to the canal a couple of hours later than scheduled.
It will be interesting to see whether she has timed it right so that she can transit the canal tomorrow too.
I have her pencilled in for Zeebrugge on 24 Nov and Southampton on 26/27 Nov.

The free GRAND AURORA competition will close when she enters the canal- Click HERE to enter!

Grand Aurora Pac Prog.png

TOSCANA No update to her position has been received but I estimate she should be entering the Gulf of Aden about now.
The weather in her area continues to look fine.
She will arrive in Zeebrugge on 27 Nov

Toscana to Suez.png

TANNHAUSER continues southwards through the South China Sea and is making 16 kts.
At midday she was about 350 nm NE of Singapore at N6.0 E108.0
There are no further weather concerns.
She will arrive at Suez on 25 Nov and Zeebrugge of 6 Dec.

Tannhauser to Suez.png

GLOVIS CRYSTAL is currently loading at Pier 80. I don’t expect her to depart to Zeebrugge until late Friday night at the earliest. She has updated her AIS with her destination as Balboa but no ETA yet.

RCC AMSTERDAM The plan is for her to anchor up in the SF Bay this evening (she is currently unloading at Benicia) until early Saturday morning. Destination unknown at moment however I suspect it will be to Asia.

There is still time for another shipment to Europe......

@Mr Miserable Thank you for the update!

Out of curiosity, what sort of fuel load do these ships contain, ie, do they need to refuel at any point or have enough for the ~8000nm?

These ships traditionally use the cheapest fuel available - heavy fuel oil. This is a residue from a crude oil distillation process. It's dirty and dangerously polluting particularly with regard to sulphur.
It's interesting to see when air quality is measured how poor the air quality is at places that are close to the English Channel.
That fresh sea air ain't so fresh.
New regulations came in to force in 2020 in an effort to significantly reduce reduce sulphur emissions from ships.
Sulphur 2020 – cutting sulphur oxide emissions
So some ships can still use heavy fuel oil as long as they have a scrubber fitted to the exhaust system otherwise the ships will have been converted to run on a low sulphur fuel oil or marine gas oil as it is now called.
The ship's bunkers can hold hundreds of tons of fuel - enough to last months.
Bunkering or refuelling can take many hours and is usually done from a barge that come alongside whilst the ship is loading/unloading.
If you look at marinetraffic.com and zoom in on Zeebrugge, you can see that AMBER ARROW is bunkering from the fuel barge MOZART at present.

These ships traditionally use the cheapest fuel available - heavy fuel oil. This is a residue from a crude oil distillation process. It's dirty and dangerously polluting particularly with regard to sulphur.
It's interesting to see when air quality is measured how poor the air quality is at places that are close to the English Channel.
New regulations came in to force in 2020 in an effort to significantly reduce reduce sulphur emissions from ships.
So some ships can still use heavy fuel oil as long as they have a scrubber fitted to the exhaust system otherwise the ships will have been converted to run on a low sulphur fuel oil or marine gas oil as it is now called.
Bunkering or refuelling can take many hours and is usually done from a barge that come alongside whilst the ship is loading/unloading.
If you look at marinetraffic.com and zoom in on Zeebrugge, you can see that AMBER ARROW is bunkering from the fuel barge MOZART at present.

Wow, these things really are colossal eh!

Thar she refuels!

upload_2020-11-11_15-15-19.png

Thank you for the pictures which show how big and powerful they really are.
It has been a fantastic and educational experience to purchase a Tesla M3. Watching the journey from San Francisco to Europe has been really interesting especially with the comments, information and pictures supplied by Mr. Miserable.
Think my car might be on Grand Aurora so one more journey to follow.
Thank you very much.

David, I agree. Mr M has now got me hooked on ship trackers and Mules, how is this possible?

My M3 LR is also on the Auroa so I have an unhealthy interest in her location.

Mr Miserable, thank you very much for your continued high quality of information, if you want to supply me a referral code I will use it, I hope it provides some reward for your hard work.

Not sure if Spica Leader has the best course for Bremerhaven...
It looks pretty good to me - don't forget that the entry/exit to Zeebrugge is a notoriously narrow channel that involves heading west before heading into the north bound sea lanes.
The European one-way systems and rules for entering certain areas can be a little complex.
Screenshot 2020-11-12 at 10.24.25.png

Reactions: lars667