Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HOT NEWS!

We have another ship!

LYDDEN, which is a big ship, is due to load in Newark on 4 Dec and depart early on 6 Dec.
By my reckoning she could arrive in Zeebrugge around 14 Dec

If all these cars get delivered, Q4 figures for Euro imports will be astonishing.
That's not hot news .... that's PIPING HOT NEWS
It's nice that the source leaves no doubt about it either stating: "Cargo: Tesla"

Good find, I now know how to source that source differently and fruitfully.

Might they be left hand drive cars (not sold on the west coast) being reassigned for Europe?
US spec and Europe spec Model 3 are not the same, some features added for European market: SOS button & CCS port as examples. So a firm no on that.
I've actually been in contact with train trackers previously and they have confirmed Model 3 cars crossing the US, so it is a thing.

The option to transport cars overland to the East coast and then put them on a ship to Europe is an expensive option and is not done every quarter. There is also a higher risk of minor damage to the cars.
We first saw it done at the end of Q3 in 2019 when cars were loaded onto car transporters and dispatched by road to Philadelphia where they were loaded on to the HOEGH OSLO.
This year we have seen it twice previously - at the end of Q2 when cars went by rail to Newark, New Jersey and then loaded on to the SILVER RAY and again at the end of Q3 when again cars went to Newark this time loaded on to the PLATINUM RAY.
I think it highly likely that rail will have been used again as using road car transporters is pretty obvious and photos quickly appeared on various websites. EU spec cars are easily identified as such by their number plate holder. Cars for the US east coast domestic market are routinely shipped by rail from Milpitas railyard and so don't attract the same amount of attention.
I have said already that LYDDEN is a large ship but she will be one of the largest ships we have seen this year equal in size to her sister ship BROOKLANDS that was used in Q1 with an RT rating of 7905. (One RT is equal in size to a 1966 Toyota). The GLOVIS CRYSTAL in comparison has an RT rating 6741 and GLOVIS SUN is 7384.
I'm not sure that the length of time she has to load in Newark is long enough to fill her completely though.
Nevertheless, having 9 shipments in a quarter, including 2 from China, is a record.

Interestingly, I was told a couple of weeks ago from a usually reliable source that LYDDEN might be a ship to keep an eye on.
The plan then was for her to load at Pier 80 however one of the hurricanes in the Gulf of Mexico seriously delayed LYDDEN and so put paid to that plan. This was about the same time that the GLOVIS SUN/CAPTAIN switch was made. I suspect that the decision for LYDDEN to sail from Newark was made at the same time as the switch.

The option to transport cars overland to the East coast and then put them on a ship to Europe is an expensive option and is not done every quarter. There is also a higher risk of minor damage to the cars.
We first saw it done at the end of Q3 in 2019 when cars were loaded onto car transporters and dispatched by road to Philadelphia where they were loaded on to the HOEGH OSLO.
This year we have seen it twice previously - at the end of Q2 when cars went by rail to Newark, New Jersey and then loaded on to the SILVER RAY and again at the end of Q3 when again cars went to Newark this time loaded on to the PLATINUM RAY.
I think it highly likely that rail will have been used again as using road car transporters is pretty obvious and photos quickly appeared on various websites. EU spec cars are easily identified as such by their number plate holder. Cars for the US east coast domestic market are routinely shipped by rail from Milpitas railyard and so don't attract the same amount of attention.
I have said already that LYDDEN is a large ship but she will be one of the largest ships we have seen this year equal in size to her sister ship BROOKLANDS that was used in Q1 with an RT rating of 7905. (One RT is equal in size to a 1966 Toyota). The GLOVIS CRYSTAL in comparison has an RT rating 6741 and GLOVIS SUN is 7384.
I'm not sure that the length of time she has to load in Newark is long enough to fill her completely though.
Nevertheless, having 9 shipments in a quarter, including 2 from China, is a record.

Interestingly, I was told a couple of weeks ago from a usually reliable source that LYDDEN might be a ship to keep an eye on.
The plan then was for her to load at Pier 80 however one of the hurricanes in the Gulf of Mexico seriously delayed LYDDEN and so put paid to that plan. This was about the same time that the GLOVIS SUN/CAPTAIN switch was made. I suspect that the decision for LYDDEN to sail from Newark was made at the same time as the switch.

You learn something new all the time in this forum. Thank you!!
So to fill LYDDEN up completely you would have to transport 7.000+ cars on rail or car transporters. Thats a big operation set up in a short period of time......

Grand Aurora about to depart

Grand Aurora has been hanging around of the west coast of Holland for a while now doing less than 1 kn. I do not know anything about that port other than it is on the East coast. I assume it is going to take this Noordzeekanaal to the port. Looks like a busy channel.

Mean time Tesla have just asked for payment for the car I am picking up from Thorpe park on the 4th so they still seem confident it will make the timing Mr Miserable has previously posted

Screenshot 2020-11-30 113030.png
Screenshot 2020-11-30 113146.png

Just as aside, has anyone checked out the satelitte view of Pier 80 on GoogleMaps? Lots of Red and White Teslas ready and waiting!
That satellite view is not live nor even that recent. The latest satellite view of the Pier I have seen is dated 26 Nov and shows the pier devoid of Model 3's. I don't think we shall see another ship load at pier 80 until January next year.

UPDATE: Looking at the ship. I think that is the GMT ASTRO which would date the photo as June 2019.

Last edited:
GRAND AURORA has still to enter the North Sea Canal that will lead her to Westahavn docks in Amsterdam to offload a mix of Chinese and US made Model 3’s. She is running several hours late.
At the moment she remains scheduled to arrive in Southampton’s Western Docks tomorrow evening but I wouldn’t be too surprised if this slipped right.

GLOVIS CRYSTAL is making good progress on her new course across the Atlantic.
She is about 270nm WSW of the island of Flores in the Azores.
Thursday and Friday don’t look particularly attractive weatherise for her and it may slow her down.
Her current scheduled ETA for Zeebrugge is 5 Dec and Southampton probably a couple of days later.

Crystal2 Atlantic.png

TANNHAUSER is continuing to average about 17kts as she heads west through the Mediterranean.
She is presently north of Algiers.
The weather looks fine for the moment but the Bay of Biscay may get a bit rough when she gets there.
She is due to arrive in Zeebrugge on 6 Dec.

Tannhauser Med Prog.png

RCC AMSTERDAM continues to race towards Zeebrugge at over 19kts 340nm SSW of Bermuda.
Her ETA for Zeebrugge is 07:00Z 8 Dec which is ambitious for this time of year however she still remains ahead of schedule.
At her present speed she could arrive on the evening of the 7th however I am sure the Atlantic weather will have a say in the matter.
Nevertheless she is building a healthy buffer should she encounter some heavy weather later in the week.
ETA 8 Dec for Zeebrugge and Southampton on 11 Dec

Amsterdam Atlantic.png

GLOVIS SUN Hopes of an earlier canal transit have been dashed as she is now back on schedule to arrive off Balboa on Wednesday afternoon/evening.
She is presently maintaining 16kts off the coast of El Salvador.
I estimate she should arrive in Zeebrugge around 15 Dec however we may see her follow RCC AMSTERDAM’s example by engaging ludicrous mode across the Atlantic.

Don't forget to enter the GLOVIS SUN competition

Glov Sun Pacific.png

LYDDEN should arrive in Newark next Thursday and should start loading Teslas on Friday. I estimate she will arrive in Zeebrugge around 14 Dec.

GRAND AURORA has still to enter the North Sea Canal that will lead her to Westahavn docks in Amsterdam to offload a mix of Chinese and US made Model 3’s. She is running several hours late.
At the moment she remains scheduled to arrive in Southampton’s Western Docks tomorrow evening but I wouldn’t be too surprised if this slipped right.

GLOVIS CRYSTAL is making good progress on her new course across the Atlantic.
She is about 270nm WSW of the island of Flores in the Azores.
Thursday and Friday don’t look particularly attractive weatherise for her and it may slow her down.
Her current scheduled ETA for Zeebrugge is 5 Dec and Southampton probably a couple of days later.

View attachment 613076

TANNHAUSER is continuing to average about 17kts as she heads west through the Mediterranean.
She is presently north of Algiers.
The weather looks fine for the moment but the Bay of Biscay may get a bit rough when she gets there.
She is due to arrive in Zeebrugge on 6 Dec.

View attachment 613077

RCC AMSTERDAM continues to race towards Zeebrugge at over 19kts 340nm SSW of Bermuda.
Her ETA for Zeebrugge is 07:00Z 8 Dec which is ambitious for this time of year however she still remains ahead of schedule.
At her present speed she could arrive on the evening of the 7th however I am sure the Atlantic weather will have a say in the matter.
Nevertheless she is building a healthy buffer should she encounter some heavy weather later in the week.
ETA 8 Dec for Zeebrugge and Southampton on 11 Dec

View attachment 613078

GLOVIS SUN Hopes of an earlier canal transit have been dashed as she is now back on schedule to arrive off Balboa on Wednesday afternoon/evening.
She is presently maintaining 16kts off the coast of El Salvador.
I estimate she should arrive in Zeebrugge around 15 Dec however we may see her follow RCC AMSTERDAM’s example by engaging ludicrous mode across the Atlantic.

Don't forget to enter the GLOVIS SUN competition

View attachment 613079

LYDDEN should arrive in Newark next Thursday and should start loading Teslas on Friday. I estimate she will arrive in Zeebrugge around 14 Dec.
And slip right it has... Grand Aurora now showing Southampton arrival of 02-Dec-2020 PM

Reactions: StevehConwy
Just as aside, has anyone checked out the satelitte view of Pier 80 on GoogleMaps? Lots of Red and White Teslas ready and waiting!

That satellite view is not live nor even that recent. The latest satellite view of the Pier I have seen is dated 26 Nov and shows the pier devoid of Model 3's. I don't think we shall see another ship load at pier 80 until January next year.

UPDATE: Looking at the ship. I think that is the GMT ASTRO which would date the photo as June 2019.

Here's a view of pier80 for clarity: 1st image full of cars is from 20th November, 2nd one in natural colours is from 25th November (both from Sentinel-2, showing an empty pier. The final image in black & white is from Landsat 8 on 29th November, clearly showing an empty pier.
LC08_L1TP_044034_20201129.jpeg
S2B_tile_20201125.jpeg
S2A_tile_20201120.jpeg

Here's a view of pier80 for clarity: 1st image full of cars is from 20th November, 2nd one in natural colours is from 25th November (both from Sentinel-2, showing an empty pier. The final image in black & white is from Landsat 8 on 29th November, clearly showing an empty pier. View attachment 613083View attachment 613084View attachment 613085

Yes, I was aware that the images weren't that recent, but interested to hear Mr M's analysis which potentially dates it back to June of last year. At the time it was taken it appears red and white were very popular!

Time for a new competition!

LYDDEN will sail from Newark, New Jersey to Zeebrugge.
I expect her to depart on 6 Dec and arrive in Zeebrugge around 14 Dec, but that's just my guess.
Use your skill and judgement to choose where LYDDEN will be at Midday Z on 9 Dec
Only one entry per person
There is no prize - it's just a bit of fun!
Entries will close at 23:59Z on 5 Dec or when LYDDEN departs Newark if earlier.

ENTER HERE

N Atlantic Grid.jpg