Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Shudder Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As mentioned in the previous post, one other minor suspension matter, besides shudder, that could become an annoyance with the S and X is rear wheel alignment.

The rear camber is non-adjustable and the rear toe has a very narrow adjustment range. So, there are many with rear inner tire cupping after less than 10,000 miles on new tires. It doesn’t happen to everyone but it does occur to many and can happen at any moment.

The solutions are: wait for a business to sell adjustable links, live with replacing tires prematurely, or don’t drive on low/very low. But, that last solution seems to accelerate shudder issues. There is an (pricey) aftermarket link in the works.
I had it installed a month ago. If you look under the car the driveshaft are straight and not angled. Minimum lowering height is 20mm to alleviate the problem. Www.N2itive.me

Reactions: TonyT
Hello!

Long time lurker. I've been eyeing the X for a long time, and am just a stone's throw away from signing and purchasing a LRX.

My main hesitation is the shudder issue, which makes me nervous. As far as I can tell from numerous forums, it's been seen on vehicles as recent as Dec 2019 according to some posters. I'm worried to spend 100k on a car I had hoped to keep for a long time, only to repair the half shafts/etc every 10-15k miles for perpetuity of the vehicle. Some forum polls were showing 1/4 of the X's had this problem.

I'm hoping someone knows the likelihood of it happening to a 2020 version, and if there is an actual permanent fix for it. I had hoped to drive it at the height of my preference, and drive aggressive at times, without having to worry about causing shudder. I feel that placing it on low height all the time, and driving conservatively to prevent a known issue limits its capability. It's like buying a toy, but you can't fully play with all it's features in fear of breaking it, albeit an expensive one.

Anyone that can shed light on this would be immensely appreciated. =)

Sorry for my wall of text.
There is no perminate fix but there is a software fix for it. Its called chill mode. They should change it to axle saving mode.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911