Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Shudder Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello!

Long time lurker. I've been eyeing the X for a long time, and am just a stone's throw away from signing and purchasing a LRX.

My main hesitation is the shudder issue, which makes me nervous. As far as I can tell from numerous forums, it's been seen on vehicles as recent as Dec 2019 according to some posters. I'm worried to spend 100k on a car I had hoped to keep for a long time, only to repair the half shafts/etc every 10-15k miles for perpetuity of the vehicle. Some forum polls were showing 1/4 of the X's had this problem.

I'm hoping someone knows the likelihood of it happening to a 2020 version, and if there is an actual permanent fix for it. I had hoped to drive it at the height of my preference, and drive aggressive at times, without having to worry about causing shudder. I feel that placing it on low height all the time, and driving conservatively to prevent a known issue limits its capability. It's like buying a toy, but you can't fully play with all it's features in fear of breaking it, albeit an expensive one.

Anyone that can shed light on this would be immensely appreciated. =)

Sorry for my wall of text.

Reactions: posey_mvp
I am in the same boat - delivery scheduled in the next two weeks, but having last minute jitters to take the plunge due to this issue.

From the looks of it, there are fewer Ravens out there with the issue - but it’s there nevertheless. I am wondering if there is anything that can be checked during delivery or within a week of delivery to get a better grip on the probability of it happening.

Hello!

Long time lurker. I've been eyeing the X for a long time, and am just a stone's throw away from signing and purchasing a LRX.

My main hesitation is the shudder issue, which makes me nervous. As far as I can tell from numerous forums, it's been seen on vehicles as recent as Dec 2019 according to some posters. I'm worried to spend 100k on a car I had hoped to keep for a long time, only to repair the half shafts/etc every 10-15k miles for perpetuity of the vehicle. Some forum polls were showing 1/4 of the X's had this problem.

I'm hoping someone knows the likelihood of it happening to a 2020 version, and if there is an actual permanent fix for it. I had hoped to drive it at the height of my preference, and drive aggressive at times, without having to worry about causing shudder. I feel that placing it on low height all the time, and driving conservatively to prevent a known issue limits its capability. It's like buying a toy, but you can't fully play with all it's features in fear of breaking it, albeit an expensive one.

Anyone that can shed light on this would be immensely appreciated. =)

Sorry for my wall of text.

IMO all Model X vehicles (even Ravens) have this issue. It is due to the large amount of torque and the design of the half-shafts when in higher suspension modes. The people that do not report it, most likely do not accelerate hard frequently or hard enough to feel shudder.

The shudder issue is not as bad as it may seem. It only occurs when accelerating hard. After 4-5k miles, you will definitely be able to feel it in Standard suspension, but it is limited in Low and Very Low it is gone. I have not seen issues where shudder causes the vehicle to be inoperable. Many people on TMC have thousands of miles on their car and have chosen not to get the shudder fixed until there is a permanent fix. I personally drove my car 17k miles with shudder until I got the half shafts replaced.

Note, that I believe from the factory the suspension on the Model X defaults to Low and the car will limit power output in Standard and higher suspension modes.

Thank you for the replies. =)

I've seen the videos of the shudder and that's what got me nervous.
Assuming, if I end up going with the X, I'll should expect the shudder. That's unfortunate for an expensive vehicle.

I'll keep my eyes out open for possible permanent fixes.

Pretty excited about the possible new battery options for the S and X. Crossing my fingers for bigger batteries.

Thanks again!

I've had mine for just over a month and have 4200+ miles on it. The shudder is making me not want to drive the car, especially around town where the speeds are "right in the sweet spot" nor do I want to drop the car to low as the ride takes a hit on our shyt roads. I also noticed that around 60-70 MPH if you get on it hard it makes a grinding noise thats coming from the driver side. :\ I have a SC appointment on the 6th so HOPEFULLY they can address it.

Reactions: posey_mvp
Me....

After Geezzer's reply. :)

After Taco's reply. :(

Thanks for the replies!

Yeah a little sad but long as they take care of it I don't really care. *sugar* happens, things break, long as the company stands by the product and repairs I'm happy. The car is great, my daughter absolutely LOVES it, the wife likes to take it out when she can so we're a happy Tesla family. We'll look into getting my wife a Y later this year or next.

• Helpful
Reactions: X-pilot
Did you purchase it brand new or used taco? If new, 4200 in one month is pretty impressive lol.
New, picked up Dec 18th. We went on a 2800 mile trip early January. :).
Depending on if we take another trip it MIGHT get another 6k miles this year. With my last car (truck) it took me almost 8 years to put 50k miles on it. Average around 500 miles a month.

Haha, I'm assuming the X makes driving fun again?

I drive an F150 Platinum, but that gas for $350+/month along with harming the environment builds up, kinda guilty since I'm driving alone most of the time.

I'll wait for the investor call tomorrow, and the battery meeting in February in case of a major update, then I think I'm pulling the trigger. =)

Thanks!

Haha, I'm assuming the X makes driving fun again?

I drive an F150 Platinum, but that gas for $350+/month along with harming the environment builds up, kinda guilty since I'm driving alone most of the time.

I'll wait for the investor call tomorrow, and the battery meeting in February in case of a major update, then I think I'm pulling the trigger. =)

Thanks!

Im trading in my daily driver as well, 2017 F250 6.7 diesel crew cab (600$ fuel per month) for the long range x . Hoping to take delivery by March 23.. my birthday! Stoked!

I picked up my 2020 Model X early December 2019. It has the shudder...from day one. The ride height has been low from day one. It shudders at all ride heights, even very low. It is definitely worse with 6 people in the car...Shudders with just moderate acceleration. Its only got around 1500 miles as of now because it has been at the service center 2 times in January for a total of 24 days and its not fixed. I have another appointment next week. Not a happy customer here.

It is embarrassing to have to tell people what the noise and shuddering is when driving people in this car. Paying a lot of money to have a loaner in my driveway. I want to like this car. I feel like I am being ripped off. Customers shouldn't have to deal with this. This is completely unsatisfactory.

Reactions: Syncra
I picked up my 2020 Model X early December 2019. It has the shudder...from day one. The ride height has been low from day one. It shudders at all ride heights, even very low. It is definitely worse with 6 people in the car...Shudders with just moderate acceleration. Its only got around 1500 miles as of now because it has been at the service center 2 times in January for a total of 24 days and its not fixed. I have another appointment next week. Not a happy customer here.

It is embarrassing to have to tell people what the noise and shuddering is when driving people in this car. Paying a lot of money to have a loaner in my driveway. I want to like this car. I feel like I am being ripped off. Customers shouldn't have to deal with this. This is completely unsatisfactory.

You should not have shudder from day 1 especially at Very Low. You may have another issue.

you should probably take it back right away! the shutter comes from wearing half shafts right? so new should not be able to really have the issue yet

I would personally stay away from the model X. Mine is a 2019 performance delivered in the middle of July. Love the car but the grinding, vibrating noise that I get on acceleration is horrible. The first time I brought it in, nothing was done, except for a recording being sent to Tesla engineers. This was back in December. I have another appointment tomorrow, but they emailed and said there is no fix. I’m going to start arbitration, what a joke. Love the car, hate the company.

My 2020 Long Range has no shudder, at least not yet. 2258 miles so far. I ordered my on the evening of Dec 6, 2019 (Friday), was offered delivery on Dec 16, but actually picked it up on Dec 18. I'm realizing now how lucky I was to get such fast delivery.