Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 SR+ AP to 2019 LR AWD FSD via Carvana

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All - I was perusing local Model 3 listings on Carvana and came across a 2019 LR AWD with 21k miles and FSD (with HW3/stoplight control) selling for $44,990 (white with black interior and 18" rims). Clean car, clean title. From what I've seen, it does not appear as though Carvana/Vroom know how to check for FSD/EAP/AP and price out vehicles based on level of AP.

I placed a refundable deposit of $100 to hold this car for 48 hours and submitted a few requests to vehicle purchasers for my 2020 SR+ with base AP and 9k miles (white with black interior and 18" rims). The highest value I got back was for $40k, which is higher than the $39k I bought the car for new from Tesla earlier this year (discounted inventory car). For a difference of ~$5k I can upgrade to a slightly older (my SR+ was built in December 2019) LR AWD with FSD and ~12k more miles. $5k for added range, performance, FSD, audio upgrade, etc. Heck, the car might already have the boost upgrade as well.

It seems like a bit of a no-brainer, though I very well could be missing something here. Is there a risk that Tesla pulls FSD from cars sold through third party dealers once the car is registered to a new owner in the Tesla app? Has anyone here purchased an FSD car from Carvana recently? Any other input here is appreciated. Thanks!

• Informative
Reactions: pl8dlikafiddle
Becareful with Carvana, they have all sorts of Tesla's listed with features they don't actually have. It's crazy because they take a picture of the VIN page on the screen and it shows the vehicle doesn't actually have that feature... smh.

• Informative
Reactions: SlimJim
Becareful with Carvana, they have all sorts of Tesla's listed with features they don't actually have. It's crazy because they take a picture of the VIN page on the screen and it shows the vehicle doesn't actually have that feature... smh.

Oh totally agree - they have a bunch of LR RWD cars labeled as AWD in their system. For this particular car, I am going by the below picture regarding FSD:

2000702470-manual-03.jpg

Which matches/goes with the below picture containing the vehicle VIN:

2000702470-manual-16.jpg

Good stuff! An AWD w/ FSD for $44K is pretty damn good. Nice find, makes me want to see what my 2019 SR+ (HW3/FSD/heated seats) will pull... I'd like to find an AWD then do the acceleration boost. My Wife just got a Model Y and I'm very jealous of the range and acceleration, this is what I get for being an early adopter!

Tesla is selling used cars for very similar prices.. not sure if better to purchase from Carvana vs Tesla though

2019 Model 3 | Tesla

on second thought, I'd suggest buying from Tesla: they know what they are selling, and the cars have acceleration boost and FSD

The link you posted says "FSD Capability".... does that mean it actually has FSD or you can pay the $8K to upgrade to it? I'm leaning towards the later unfortunately

The link you posted says "FSD Capability".... does that mean it actually has FSD or you can pay the $8K to upgrade to it? I'm leaning towards the later unfortunately

If it says on Tesla's website "FSD Capability" - that means it has the FSD package. It's exactly the same verbiage on my order documents for both my 3 & X.

Reactions: Matsayz and SlimJim
If it says on Tesla's website "FSD Capability" - that means it has the FSD package. It's exactly the same verbiage on my order documents for both my 3 & X.
I am currently on the waiting list for a Dec delivery for a W/W M3P. Never thought when I initially was looking at used M3s that Full Self-Driving Capability meant it came with the software installed. Just thought it had the upgraded hardware. Looking at what is available... I can get a 2020 w/1.5K miles W/W LR w/AB and FSD for 52K. Hmmmm.......

I still question whether or not the FSD capable used cars have HW3 or not. I can see Tesla tacking on no-cost software upgrades on used cars to command higher dollars, but I cant see them putting HW3 into all used FSD cars. I wonder if they will allow you to get HW3 at no cost if FSD is enabled in a HW2.5 car.

I still question whether or not the FSD capable used cars have HW3 or not. I can see Tesla tacking on no-cost software upgrades on used cars to command higher dollars, but I cant see them putting HW3 into all used FSD cars. I wonder if they will allow you to get HW3 at no cost if FSD is enabled in a HW2.5 car.

The question doesn't make sense.

FSD literally requires HW3 to work. The HW3 upgrade is inherently included in the FSD option at purchase.

There's no way to get HW3 swapped into a HW2.x car EXCEPT by owning FSD.

If they haven't swapped the hardware out, yes, I understand the HW3 upgrade is at no cost. Honestly - they don't have an established price for an HW3 upgrade, and their system at this point basically says "Has FSD and not HW3? Upgrade it."

I guess it's possible you could buy one of the used cars and then find out it needs an upgrade, but that's a no-cost upgrade.

I am currently on the waiting list for a Dec delivery for a W/W M3P. Never thought when I initially was looking at used M3s that Full Self-Driving Capability meant it came with the software installed. Just thought it had the upgraded hardware. Looking at what is available... I can get a 2020 w/1.5K miles W/W LR w/AB and FSD for 52K. Hmmmm.......

... and you can get that vehicle now instead of waiting. So there's that. One thing to keep in mind, though, are state incentives. Would you still be eligible for any of them, or the HOV stickers? I'm not up on California incentives, but that may be an advantage for new v. used.
For example, here in NJ, a Pearl White LR w/ black interior, 18" wheels and FSD is $54,990. That puts it under the $55k cap for the state $5k incentive program... which means, it's $49,990. So I'd suggest just checking your state's incentive program - it's entirely possible buying new is cheaper.

I'd pick that up.

I sold Carvana my 2019 SR+ with almost 22k miles for a couple thousand less than I paid for it - this was back in August. Their LR inventory at the time was not as good. I would have traded for the car you found in a heartbeat.