Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 SR+ Foglights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A question if I might... Do you access the fog light assemblies to remove/replace simply by removing the panel in the wheel well? I have some furlough time coming up and have another project in mind, just haven't had the intestinal fortitude to start spelunking in the innards of the MOdel 3s.
Thanks in advance!

Yes, it is very easy to get to the fogs. Pull the wheel and remove the inner fender well liner. (actually only need to remove the front 1/2 and fold it out of the way).

If they will add the fog light button to the screen, then its just plug and play. I asked them in March and they said no. But that could have changed or maybe you can sweet talk them.

If they won't do it, the wiring is extremely easy and detailed in the earlier pages.

Its a great upgrade and it is possible to buy full fog light assemblies from ebay and sell the dummies for about the same price.

I'm headed over to see my guy at the service center today, since the Railhead Barbecue is open again.. I'll ask about enabling the software. Still trying to figure out why I don't have PWA in Drive, although I do in Reverse. This seems to have all of Tesla stumped. Without audio to trigger my box, I can't put in the Jetsons' noise. Film at 11, Details as they happen ...

Been mulling this over...
If we wire the fog lights to the ambers, then they will be on all the time. Same as the headlights with this DRL silliness.
Is there any issue with fog lights running all the time?
I've been working on a design for controlling them, ranging from a switch to some form of automatic control.
Depending on the instant fog conditions, I have occasionally found it better to run with fog lights only, killing the headlights, which in some cars is not possible as from the factory.

Been mulling this over...
If we wire the fog lights to the ambers, then they will be on all the time. Same as the headlights with this DRL silliness.
Is there any issue with fog lights running all the time?
I've been working on a design for controlling them, ranging from a switch to some form of automatic control.
Depending on the instant fog conditions, I have occasionally found it better to run with fog lights only, killing the headlights, which in some cars is not possible as from the factory.

Yes, the fogs would be on any time the headlights are on. They are not on in the middle of a sunny day.
You could easily mount a switch under the dash or something.

Even on the SR, there is control on the screen for the steering wheel arrows. There is a possibility that you could tap into that signal - then you would be able to control the fogs from the screen if Tesla won't add the functionality.

Yes, the fogs would be on any time the headlights are on. They are not on in the middle of a sunny day.
You could easily mount a switch under the dash or something.

Even on the SR, there is control on the screen for the steering wheel arrows. There is a possibility that you could tap into that signal - then you would be able to control the fogs from the screen if Tesla won't add the functionality.

Hmmm... Not a bad idea. Pick that signal off with a low current sensor to control a relay. I never notice the little lights on the wheel anyway. Have to finger out where that control line goes.
Would love to get my hands on a set of Model 3 schematics...

Reactions: fritzner
Have they quoted you a price for this? I'm pretty miffed that they really glossed over the deletion of the fog lights and the interior lights. I've been back over my notes and saved screens when I was convincing myself to buy, and damned if I didn't miss that little tidbit.
Looks like fritzner got ya what you need and fwiw last week end I wired mine up like he did to just rid of bypass I did that wasnt really needed however if you want to put them on a switch you would used the relay diagram just instead of the amber marker trigger you put a switch to whatever power source works like you would want.

Reactions: fritzner
Yes, hooking them up is fairly straightforward. I am looking into controlling them with something a little more elegant than a bat handle toggle switch sticking out of the console. <g>
And of course, my lifelong motto is "The shortest distance between two points is a parabola".

Got the euro clear and the look is just what I wanted.
I took the wheel off and the entire wheel well liner out. The fog lights are harder to remove than install. The wiring harness pink safety needs to get pulled back then squeezed. There are 3 torx head screws that come out, best with a 6” extension. There are two wiring harness that have stand-off clamps mounted to the light, you need to squeeze the side tabs to release those. Take your time with the top clips pull back and gently wiggle the light to release. The install is very much easier as everything snaps in place. First picture is just the passenger installed. My dog is slightly in the way but you see how sad that little amber light is.
BDA88F14-2085-45B3-B955-2D72E3E108D1.jpeg
E2D74154-34B2-4078-A5BD-455E5D359EA4.jpeg

Looking good, almost the same as my USDM OE units with the amber reflectors and COB LEDs painted over satin black.

Under what modes do the non-fog white lights illuminate? Lights in position, auto, on?
I left the wiring alone in hopes to have the fog light option added on the “lights” screen. It was added but went away after my car received and over the air update yesterday from Tesla. The white bar is on whenever the amber used to be. Not sure if I’m going to do the wire mod to add the fog lamp on all of the time or not...

Reactions: Perscitus
Thanks to HitUpOlas by mentioning the euro clear fog lights that he found on Ebay, I also found a brand new set on Ebay. For the price of $230 shipped, it was pretty much the same price or a little cheaper than buying US spec fog lights. Plus, the black housing fog lights looks much better without the amber reflectors in them.

Easily popped them on and hard-wired the fog light wires by tapping the fog light signal (middle wire... red on passenger side, blue on driver side) into the parking light wire (purple wire on both sides), so now the fog lights always come on with the headlights & parking lights, and do not turn off with the high beams - which they will turn off on all US Model 3's that came with factory fog lights, due to US regulations. Once I got the car jacked up and the wheel off, it took maybe a minute to pop 9 push-plugs off of the splash guard to work behind it, and then a few minutes to unscrew the 3 different T25 screws, and then everything pops right right. If you push the front of the fog light in a swinging upward motion, it'll unclip itself from the top tabs.

I don't really notice any difference with light output on the ground from the fog lights, since my car is lowered and my headlights have been adjusted accordingly, but visually my car looks so much better now :cool:.

11.jpg

13.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

Thanks to HitUpOlas by mentioning the euro clear fog lights that he found on Ebay, I also found a brand new set on Ebay. For the price of $230 shipped, it was pretty much the same price or a little cheaper than buying US spec fog lights. Plus, the black housing fog lights looks much better without the amber reflectors in them.

Easily popped them on and hard-wired the fog light wires by tapping the fog light signal (middle wire... red on passenger side, blue on driver side) into the parking light wire (purple wire on both sides), so now the fog lights always come on with the headlights & parking lights, and do not turn off with the high beams - which they will turn off on all US Model 3's that came with factory fog lights, due to US regulations. Once I got the car jacked up and the wheel off, it took maybe a minute to pop 9 push-plugs off of the splash guard to work behind it, and then a few minutes to unscrew the 3 different T25 screws, and then everything pops right right. If you push the front of the fog light in a swinging upward motion, it'll unclip itself from the top tabs.

I don't really notice any difference with light output on the ground from the fog lights, since my car is lowered and my headlights have been adjusted accordingly, but visually my car looks so much better now :cool:.

The Euro-spec fogs look great!! I probably would have gone that route if I did it over. But the amber side marker is so well done on these, I don't mind it.

Great job and cool to see another iteration.

Running a pair of 'EMEA/APAC look' fog assemblies since before the cars first port shipped across the Atlantic and Pacific.

Its a personal opinion and taste question (and for some also of legality) but the car certainly looks far sleeker without the backlit or even just reflected amber down there. All for amber turn signals front and back (on light up) buy meh to amber side markers and reflectors on Americas spec cars. Thanks legislation.

Have a August 2019 SR+ with dummy fog lights. Just got a set of like new OEM fog lights off eBay that have LED accent and fog lights. I installed and put in a for a TESLA mobile tech to see if he will turn on fog lights and put button on screen. We will see. If not I will just wire them on.

Attachments

• 492D302C-CA58-4E68-A395-ED5A9B03BF55.jpeg
    492D302C-CA58-4E68-A395-ED5A9B03BF55.jpeg
    331.2 KB · Views: 182
Have a August 2019 SR+ with dummy fog lights. Just got a set of like new OEM fog lights off eBay that have LED accent and fog lights. I installed and put in a for a TESLA mobile tech to see if he will turn on fog lights and put button on screen. We will see. If not I will just wire them on.
It can be added by a tech with the laptop but it will most likely go away on the next OTA update like mine did.

• Informative
Reactions: GasNah and sa012