Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 SR+ Foglights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i want to be able to turn the fog light on/off and plan to order this harness on eBay. Figure I place the on/off switch somewhere in the frunk worst case. Can you take a look at it, any issues? I think it should work.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/322472931374

hard to tell from pics but looks like a bunch of it is not needed, might work but have to tweak it a bit.

On my diagram you could just put a switch between the wire coming off of 85 or 86 to do same thing

hard to tell from pics but looks like a bunch of it is not needed, might work but have to tweak it a bit.

On my diagram you could just put a switch between the wire coming off of 85 or 86 to do same thing

Figure I follow your diagram using the harness wires, strip off the connector and tape up unused ends. The only uncertainty is how to tap the 12v power from the battery to the lamp connector. Wish there were some pictures of that. I imagine the SR+ has the three pins/wires, the middle pin going to the foglight has dead wire that needs to be cut and feed 12v power?

AFAIK all the cars has 3 wires running to each foglight plug, I just cut the middle wire loose so I wasnt feeding 12V back into the car , I think you can make it work with that harness but are gonna end up cutting and splicing a bunch of it. either way you can still use the relay and switch. the diagram they have is pretty hard to read

I purchased a set of fogs on ebay (2 different sellers). 1 is supposed to arrive this week and the other next week. I've got wheel spacers to install, so I'll just do everything at once.

@knobnd1 did you install yours yet?

I have the passenger side on the bench and the other one is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. I'm hoping to get them both in this week. I didn't want to install one and have it look off and then have to take the car apart to do the other one. Best to do them while things are apart. Looking forward to it. I will add though that the prices I paid for each fog light varied some. And there's a lot on there with broken tabs or beat up so be careful for those looking.

left pin is ground, middle fog 12v, marker/accent 12v

Anyway to see how many amps the fog light is drawing? And the side marker/accent?

If the wire going to the fog light is the same size as the wire going to the side marker/accent light, that would indicate that the fog doesn't draw much or any more power than the side marker/accent ...
and if neither is pulling many amps, I wonder if you could just cut the middle wire and tape up the end going back to the car then splice the 2 together going to the fog light and side marker?

If we were to try that and it draws too much, it would just trip the self-healing fuses - right?

Something else I was thinking of to control the fog lights ... does anyone know if there is a way to find how the steering wheel lights are switched on/off?
If you could tap into that, you could use it to flip the relay and turn the fog lights on/off instead of the steering well lights (or use the screen to turn both of them off and on together). But my guess is that they are controlled via the CAN Bus. Just a thought.

Anyway to see how many amps the fog light is drawing? .

no clue but its pretty low amperage, i think I was powering up the one on my bench with a 6amp power source and left it on for 24 hours. Im pretty sure the wiring can take it and it would probably work but i dont know enough about it to risk it. I just decided to wire it up the way I knew would safely work.

if you take the airbag out you could test to see how the steering wheel lights turn on and off and then backtrack them so it could work if they arent canbus. controlled.

Some people in different Tesla groups are reporting that their recent 2020 Model 3 SR+ builds have the fog light assemblies in the bumper, but software is disabled on the screen. Does anyone have a SR+ that they've recently picked up in the past week or two that can confirm this?

I should be getting my car later this month and will confirm it on my car, but I'm wondering if Tesla went back to putting in the full fog light assemblies and will later offer an ala-cart upgrade to enable the fog lights, just like what they did with the rear heated seats. That would be nice if they do.

easiest way to tell is if the amber marker comes on but no white accent light then you dont have a fog in there, even if it looks like its there. The marker and accent are powered together so you either get both or neither.

be nice if they did but weird if they left out a small group but hearing that the made in China cars are getting HW2.5 currently it wouldnt surprise me if the just mix and match

I got both of my lights in. I tested the drivers side with has a revised part number ending in E and confirmed the accent light comes on with the side marker light. The passenger side with part number ending in C does not have the accent light come on with the side marker light. Could perhaps be a defective part I was sold. I contacted the seller asking if he knew about this. The fog light comes on. Bummer...

I have two sets of rev E assemblies (one factory new, the other used off eBay) and in both cases I cant seem to get the horizontal light strip to come on a. on a bench b. on the car.

Any advice?

The stock set works correctly (amber position/marker, white strip, white fogs)

The factory new set will not power up the marker or light strip (seems consistent with above posts)

But the used set lights up the amber COB LEDs and yet will not illuminate the white COB LED at the source of the strip.

@Idkorcare any suggestions please?

I have two sets of rev E assemblies (one factory new, the other used off eBay) and in both cases I cant seem to get the horizontal light strip to come on a. on a bench b. on the car.

Any advice?

The stock set works correctly (amber position/marker, white strip, white fogs)

The factory new set will not power up the marker or light strip (seems consistent with above posts)

But the used set lights up the amber COB LEDs and yet will not illuminate the white COB LED at the source of the strip.

@Idkorcare any suggestions please?

Did you buy a set directly from Tesla?

no clue but its pretty low amperage, i think I was powering up the one on my bench with a 6amp power source and left it on for 24 hours. Im pretty sure the wiring can take it and it would probably work but i dont know
enough about it to risk it. I just decided to wire it up the way I knew would safely work.

if you take the airbag out you could test to see how the steering wheel lights turn on and off and then backtrack them so it could work if they arent canbus. controlled.
AFAIK all the cars has 3 wires running to each foglight plug, I just cut the middle wire loose so I wasnt feeding 12V back into the car , I think you can make it work with that harness but are gonna end up cutting and splicing a bunch of it. either way you can still use the relay and switch. the diagram they have is pretty hard to read

feeding 12v back to the car on the middle wire where a 12v would feed the fog lights meaning; if the FL software was working for the on:eek:ff it would then feed that 12v to the fog light. Right now 12v is on hold at some relay switch waiting to be told to feed 12b to the fog light. Hmm. So feeding the 12v back up would stop at the rely. If for some reason it were to open than both 12v would be come down the same line. I wonder if that’s an issue, not sure and if just tapping into it from the turn signal or battery 12v vs cutting the middle wire it would work and not an issue?

@Perscitus got me if you manage to get some working and some arent, ill try wiring up the one I took apart backwards and see if it kills it. i know if the voltage gets low the only the amber will kind of light up but i think that cut off was closer to 5v, take some pics of what all you got going on , how much did the fogs run from Tesla? Someone else in this thread had issues at first that then corrected

@Matrix003 I personally wouldnt risk it back feeding like that you would want to diode isolate it or just cut it loose