Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 SR+ Foglights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I bought a kit from Aliexpress with euro-style fog lamps and a harness to connect them. 285.0US $ |LUCKEASY Exterior Functional Accessories Upgrading of front fog lights For Tesla Model 3 Special LED fog lamp assembly| | - AliExpress

The quality of the lamps seems very good. However, I am not convinced about the seller's method of connecting them. That would turn both the LED strip and the fog lamp on at the same time. This assumes connecting the signal wire into the wire for the rear fog lamp (on euro models) and passing the wires through the firewall. I have gone so far as installing the lamps and considering next steps. The euro model does not have the amber lights so that there does not appear to be any connector present in the wheel wells for the lamps. A possible way to connect them would perhaps be to tap into an accessory wire for the LED strip and tap into the rear fog lamp wire for the front fog lamp.

Has someone found a way to connect fog lamps on a euro spec SR 3+ or could could suggest a good solution? See pics of this kit and the seller's video about the installation procedure (perhaps someone Chinese speaking could explain how he intends to tap into the wire for the rear fog lamp): https://ae-cn.alicdn.com/9f8e1de303...Lo/3E16PfFxXFnGH11jrR0_292689075865_hd_hq.mp4
20210426_212616.jpg
20210417_222324.jpg
20210417_222425.jpg

So... I was able to get the Tesla Body Shop to install the fog lights on my SR+ while it was in the shop for a collision issue.

The total came out to #731 (original was 831, but I went down as they did the work).

The only issue I have now is that the fog lights turn on automatically when the headlights do - which is great. However, I don't have the fog light button on my screen. Seems like the software needs to be tweaked to enable this. The car image on the screen does show the foglights on, when they are turned on with the headlights.

Attachments

• Estimate.jpg
    Estimate.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 296
  • fog.JPG
    fog.JPG
    366.6 KB · Views: 310
Reactions: Hjalti
So... I was able to get the Tesla Body Shop to install the fog lights on my SR+ while it was in the shop for a collision issue.

The total came out to #731 (original was 831, but I went down as they did the work).

The only issue I have now is that the fog lights turn on automatically when the headlights do - which is great. However, I don't have the fog light button on my screen. Seems like the software needs to be tweaked to enable this. The car image on the screen does show the foglights on, when they are turned on with the headlights.
A bit of an update, and something I found interesting today.
I scheduled a mobile service appointment because the fog light on my M3 had disappeared. The fog lights turn on when the headlamps do, but I can’t manually control them.

Tech pushed out a configuration update to enable them, and also re-pushed the current firmware on my car to make sure it stuck. Well, right after he left the button was there, and it also appeared on the side of the display with the headlight and auto beam icons, but it would not turn off or on the fog lights. I was able to call him, and he asked me to do a soft reset. The button disappeared after that.

After chatting with him, it looks like mobile techs can’t push out these kind of configurations to the car if the car did not originally come with it. I.e., since my car did not come with fog lights (but obviously has them now because they were installed by Tesla at a Tesla body shop), the main configuration file can’t be modified by the tech. He can send out an update, but it won’t stick.

It looks like he’ll have to reach out to engineering, and have engineering change my profile on the car deep-level firmware (what I imagine something like a BIOS), to put on there Premium Interior, Gen 2 Black Console. By doing it this way, the car will think it came pre-built with the fog lights (the same way some SR+ from 2018-2019 did), and I can get the full functionality of them.

I’ll keep y’all posted.

Reactions: Hjalti
Pretty sure the harness is there. I bough fog lights used from ebay. take off front wheel and open splash shroud. THe fog light dummy assembly pops out. new one pops in. Check Youtube for install guide. You need to do some wiring as the control for the fog lights does not come up on the screen. Some folks just parallel them with the low beams. See the YouTubes for more info. Hope this helps.

A bit of an update, and something I found interesting today.
I scheduled a mobile service appointment because the fog light on my M3 had disappeared. The fog lights turn on when the headlamps do, but I can’t manually control them.

Tech pushed out a configuration update to enable them, and also re-pushed the current firmware on my car to make sure it stuck. Well, right after he left the button was there, and it also appeared on the side of the display with the headlight and auto beam icons, but it would not turn off or on the fog lights. I was able to call him, and he asked me to do a soft reset. The button disappeared after that.

After chatting with him, it looks like mobile techs can’t push out these kind of configurations to the car if the car did not originally come with it. I.e., since my car did not come with fog lights (but obviously has them now because they were installed by Tesla at a Tesla body shop), the main configuration file can’t be modified by the tech. He can send out an update, but it won’t stick.

It looks like he’ll have to reach out to engineering, and have engineering change my profile on the car deep-level firmware (what I imagine something like a BIOS), to put on there Premium Interior, Gen 2 Black Console. By doing it this way, the car will think it came pre-built with the fog lights (the same way some SR+ from 2018-2019 did), and I can get the full functionality of them.

I’ll keep y’all posted.
Any updates if they were able to change your profile?

So I just looked at the wires on my 2021, there is a red, purple and black, the purple isn’t in the middle though. Do I still cut that and connect the purple to the red one?

Ended up ordering from parts-link on eBay at a premium of $315ish, but I did get the correct Euro fogs.

Only thing to note on the 2021 models if that it looks like Tesla changed the colors on the wiring for the fog light harness, although the position of the wires is still the same. For 2021, you'll end up taking the purple wire on both sides (amber market), and wire that into the red (fogs) and the purple. Other than that, install went super smooth and it looks awesome.

Reactions: thebestiam1
I recently installed the standard foggies in my SR+ and only then found out there was no wiring, ive since bought the wiring from Amazon & ready to connect it to the newly installed fog lights, the seller however didnt have an install video, anyone know where i can find how to wire up an SR+ with aftermarket wiring loom, please?

TIA as always

Attachments

• IMG_1285.jpg
    IMG_1285.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_1415.JPG
    IMG_1415.JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 86
I recently installed the standard foggies in my SR+ and only then found out there was no wiring, ive since bought the wiring from Amazon & ready to connect it to the newly installed fog lights, the seller however didnt have an install video, anyone know where i can find how to wire up an SR+ with aftermarket wiring loom, please?

TIA as always
Here you go Aftermarket fog lights

Reactions: UNCLETYS