Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 steering wheel vs 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long story short, I took my 2021 MY for service to correct some issues from the original delivery. One of the issues was that my steering had scratches on it. What I didn’t expect is that they replaced the steering wheel with the older version which has the rubberized scroll wheels. I was super annoyed at first but I grew to like them.

the question I’m posing to you good folks is should I have Tesla replace the steering wheel with the updated version or just keep the older version?

I appreciate your inputs.

Since they've already replaced it once, I'd be surprised if they agreed to replace it again. And even if they did replace with the heated wheel which seems to be trickling out as we speak, there is no guarantee the heated portion would work.

Personally I prefer something a little sportier and just got confirmation that my custom wheel has finished manufacturing. Looking forward to installing this next week!

WeChat Image_20210114105859.jpg

Reactions: Riguy
DaniD158, thanks for the input.

To be honest, the heating steering wheel, while nice to have, is not something I'm too concerned about. By the way, when I brought it to their attention that they installed an older version of the wheel, the service advisor said they would be happy to replace it.

So really the question here is to stay with the rubber scroll wheels which seem more grippy or go with the updated metal scroll wheels. It's not a huge deal either way, but I was curious on everyones thoughts on the forum.

Long story short, I took my 2021 MY for service to correct some issues from the original delivery. One of the issues was that my steering had scratches on it. What I didn’t expect is that they replaced the steering wheel with the older version which has the rubberized scroll wheels. I was super annoyed at first but I grew to like them.

the question I’m posing to you good folks is should I have Tesla replace the steering wheel with the updated version or just keep the older version?

I appreciate your inputs.

If you really like the rubber wheels then keep it, but I would trade it out. Maybe wait a bit until the heated steering wheel is out fully then ask them to replace in hopes to get heat. It will only add value to the car.

I live in Switzerland and deal with very cold weather, snow, etc. Never had the need for a heated steering wheel. I much prefer to have a thicker wheel with good gripping points for driving aggressively in the Alps!

agreed, Canadian here, know freezing cold weather well, never had a heated steering wheel, not necessary IMO, however, I see how one would like it if one had it. Not a big deal either way IMO

Once you have heated steering wheel you won't go back. I use it all the time in my Model X. And I am constantly preheating my car. It makes a difference. Let's hope they offer a retrofit.

If you really like the rubber wheels then keep it, but I would trade it out. Maybe wait a bit until the heated steering wheel is out fully then ask them to replace in hopes to get heat. It will only add value to the car.

good point.

Once you have heated steering wheel you won't go back. I use it all the time in my Model X. And I am constantly preheating my car. It makes a difference. Let's hope they offer a retrofit.

agreed, Canadian here, know freezing cold weather well, never had a heated steering wheel, not necessary IMO, however, I see how one would like it if one had it. Not a big deal either way IMO
Spoken like a person who's never experienced it! I am in Wisconsin, and I had the exact same thoughts until our first Nissan Leaf many years ago had one. Once you have one you never want to be without one. Honestly it was a significant drawback getting the Model 3 a few years ago, and when we replaced our Leaf last year we got a Bolt instead of a second Tesla, in part because of the heated steering wheel. Now that the 3 & Y (theoretically) have them, it won't even be an issue for us in the future.

Reactions: colea