Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Tesla Crashes in Ohio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lost the brakes on the highway? How far did he drive after exiting, I mean, the convention center looks very urban. It would've been a lot cheaper if he just crashed into guard rails or sand barrier, or even trees. $250K worth of damages, I wonder if his insurance will be willing to cover it.

Edit: Just googled the place, looks pretty close to highways, but he needed to make quite a few turns off the closest exit to hit the building. Wonder how he managed to avoid other cars at 70 mph.

1652411970378.png

White Model 3 Refresh with 18" aeros.

Image 5-12-22 at 9.43 PM.jpg

Traveled down the offramp and then down Vine St. over 5 lights/blocks and into the building. Must have been like that Prius and had brake failure. Looks like driver error.

I'm sure they can estimate the speed from the frame rate of the camera. It was almost certainly at least triple the limit there. (25mph)

of course all the media outlets have videos of this, because everyone likes to watch "autonomous" vehicles out of control.
This one from CNN has more pictures and information: the driver was in fact a male, the car was registered to a taxi company, and witnesses say no brakes were applied. It doesn't look like any red light is emitted from the rear of the car as it enters the building.

Video: Tesla jumps curb and crashes into convention center - CNN Video

Reactions: mangrove79
Obviously a new driver, someone who panicked while using one-foot driving, and instinctively pressed the pedal under his foot, thinking it was the brake, and since he was one-foot driving, turned out it was the accelerator. Driving down Vine St., came off the smaller highway, not the interstate, a straight shot off the 315. So, lucky no one got killed.
by default 2022-05-13 at 2.27.26 PM.jpg

• Love
Reactions: lUtriaNt
[rant mode enabled]
This coverage really pisses me off. I am a pilot and fly a single engine airplane for sport. Whenever a a general aviation aircraft goes down, it's headline news. How many people died in car accidents in the US that day? Not a peep, because the press likes to sensationalize plane crashes. Now, I have to deal with this same s**t because I own a Tesla. The car is unique, Musk is controversial and the press just eats it up. ARRRRGGGGHHHHH!
[rant mode disabled]

looks like the car was already badly damaged BEFORE he hit the curb...
It’s just pixelation of the camera/frame-rate.

I am imagining if it was registered to a taxi company, that this vehicle was registered to Hertz. They recently put out a metric ton of white model 3 cars. Many many rideshare drivers are renting them at a weekly rate. (a but over $400 per week, insurance included)

Driver says the brakes failed. I tend towards maybe that is the truth.

How could he have held his foot on the accelerator all the way. Dont think its possible with those humps.

"According to local police, the Tesla exited the highway May 4 going about 70 mph. It ran a red light and sped through the three-way intersection, crashing down steps, over a planter, and through a window before colliding with a pillar inside the convention center."

Im pretty sure its the cars fault.