Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Tesla Crashes in Ohio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Driver says the brakes failed. I tend towards maybe that is the truth.

How could he have held his foot on the accelerator all the way. Dont think its possible with those humps.

"According to local police, the Tesla exited the highway May 4 going about 70 mph. It ran a red light and sped through the three-way intersection, crashing down steps, over a planter, and through a window before colliding with a pillar inside the convention center."

Im pretty sure its the cars fault.
So you think not only did the brakes fail, but regenerative braking also failed at the exact same moment?
BTW - even if the brakes had failed, if the driver had pressed the brake pedal the car would have stopped accelerating. The car will not accelerate with the brake pedal pushed.

In fact, we know the driver was pressing the accelerator to the floor. All of a Tesla vehicles safety systems are overridden when the accelerator pedal is pressed more than 90%. Otherwise, the car would have slowed down when it detected objects in front of it.

We all love a good crash video, a Tesla not so much.
Heck shift into reverse, or N or the parking brake.
When the human mind fails, its not good. Having a car flip
into the air and we drove under it, well rain. Had a guy
run a red light at 80 and cut my car in two. Not a scratch
on me. So what never made the news, but really folks there
is nothing more to see, just more junk.

Reactions: outdoors and Bouba
And a third failure-not only did regen fail, and the brakes fail simultaneously, but the brake lights also failed at the same time.
It’s unlikely that the driver was pushing the accelerator, though-the car would have been doing well in excess of 100 mph in that case.

• Funny
Reactions: outdoors and KenC
And a third failure-not only did regen fail, and the brakes fail simultaneously, but the brake lights also failed at the same time.
It’s unlikely that the driver was pushing the accelerator, though-the car would have been doing well in excess of 100 mph in that case.
Please ??
90% of the drivers that slip on ice hit the gas, not the car, the driver.

How could he have held his foot on the accelerator all the way. Dont think its possible with those humps.

"According to local police, the Tesla exited the highway May 4 going about 70 mph. It ran a red light and sped through the three-way intersection, crashing down steps, over a planter, and through a window before colliding with a pillar inside the convention center."

Because even without brakes, the car would decelerate with the drivers foot off of the accelerator. There’s no way a car is going to continue traveling at such a high rate of speed without someone smashing the accelerator.

Or- (however doubtful) the driver was on autopilot set at highway speeds and didn’t realize it. Cars in front slowed down on exit, then turned out of the drivers way and the car took off.

• Helpful
Reactions: lUtriaNt
I did have a car where the gas pedal got stuck under
my shag carpet and blew the engine, really folks.
Anyone who drives a high performance car whether a Hellcat
or a Tesla must know how to deal with issues when *sugar* happens.
A lot of us spent a good part of our life trying to build a car
with this performance. We all had a plan "B" for those times.
Cars dont remove the need for training on ice, mud, rain or snow.
Never mind.

Last edited:

SEE!!!! crashing down steps!!!....it's not pixelation....that car was damaged BEFORE the curb

[rant mode enabled]
This coverage really pisses me off. I am a pilot and fly a single engine airplane for sport. Whenever a a general aviation aircraft goes down, it's headline news. How many people died in car accidents in the US that day? Not a peep, because the press likes to sensationalize plane crashes. Now, I have to deal with this same s**t because I own a Tesla. The car is unique, Musk is controversial and the press just eats it up. ARRRRGGGGHHHHH!
[rant mode disabled]
To be fair, that was one impressive crash! No matter what vehicle, having it caught on camera both outside and in, I'd put it on the news. And, he hit a concrete post and survived, no fire, no one got killed. It's not all bad.

Reactions: Brn2Run
Sad waste of a nice car. Probably a floor mat pressing on the accelerator.
Try this when safe.... step on the accelerator in your Tesla, even mat it to the floor.

Then gently rest your left foot on the brake pedal.

-->What happens? <--

There will be an investigation, however the results will not be publicized. It doesn't fit the Tesla-Short/Sensastional narrative.

Reactions: lUtriaNt and Sam1
If the regen is turned off the car will keep rolling. While I have it on, on those cold days when it is "temporarily unavailable" it is actually a little unnerving. You expect the car to stop and it keeps rolling. It doesn't even slow down like an automatic transmission, more like a manual with the clutch in, or neutral.

But yea, every time a Tesla crashes it makes the news even though it is as likely to be driver error as with every other car.