Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Tesla Model 3 (red) with FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in the market for a Tesla model Y, but I saw one Tesla model 3 (red) with FSD for $42k. Most of the used 2020 Tesla Model 3s without FSD
are going for the same price. Just checking with the experienced folks here if this is a good deal (I certainly thought so). Is there anything
I should be wary about ? Anything along the lines of FSD not being transferrable ? Please let me know your thoughts on this.

Both carfax and autocheck are clean.

Here's the specs:
Standard Range Plus
Rear-Wheel Drive
Full Self-Driving Capability
Red Multi-Coat
All Black Interior
18’’ Aero Wheels
Gen 2 Mobile Connector Bundle
2 Key cards
Clean title/ no accident
Single owner

Reactions: DanCar
I've read that it's mainly auction vehicles that may have FSD removed, so it might depend on where you're getting it. Many dealers and places like Carmax tend to buy from auctions regularly. Personally, I wouldn't count on it staying, because there is always a chance Tesla will remove it. So without FSD, it's the same price as a brand new Red SR+. Do you plan on using the FSD features regularly? If you are, and are willing to take a chance, it's a good deal. If you don't really need it, then just buy a new one.

FSD stays with the car in private sales.

The only place there's ever been an issue is when this happens:

Someone trades car back in to Tesla.

Tesla flags for FSD removal in their back end system (Tesla often, though not always, removes FSD when ownership reverts to them so they can sell it to the next person)

Tesla sends car to auction quickly and it sells to a dealer before the car itself gets updated based on the back-end flag- so dealer sees FSD on car and advertises it that way.

Eventually, car updates itself based on the back end change and removes FSD. When dealer or new owner calls Tesla they're told car does not have FSD.

So if Tesla never took back ownership at any point, FSD purchased on vehicle stays on vehicle.

If it ever went back to Tesla ownership it's potentially a crapshoot.

Reactions: vegtrip
I've read that it's mainly auction vehicles that may have FSD removed, so it might depend on where you're getting it. Many dealers and places like Carmax tend to buy from auctions regularly. Personally, I wouldn't count on it staying, because there is always a chance Tesla will remove it. So without FSD, it's the same price as a brand new Red SR+. Do you plan on using the FSD features regularly? If you are, and are willing to take a chance, it's a good deal. If you don't really need it, then just buy a new one.

Thanks for the response. Yes, I'm planning on using the FSD feature. Can Tesla really remove a feature after a second hand buyer already paid for it to the original owner ? Isn't it tied to the car (instead of the owner, since it's not a subscription service yet) ?

Thanks for the response. Yes, I'm planning on using the FSD feature. Can Tesla really remove a feature after a second hand buyer already paid for it to the original owner ? Isn't it tied to the car (instead of the owner, since it's not a subscription service yet) ?

See post above yours.

They can remove it if they own the car again- but they do so by flagging in their back end system to do so, which does NOT always, immediately, make the change car-side. If there's enough delay between those 2 steps the car can get sold at auction with the feature still visible on the car but not officially "owned" by the car on the back end.

For private sale none of this happens.

Unfortunately no, FSD is tied to a car, but they can also remove it, which is pretty F***ed up tbh. It's a large part of why I won't buy FSD as I rarely keep vehicles more than 3 years.

But yea, you never mentioned where you're buying from, is it a private sale? or from a dealer? If it's a private sale, you should be fine.

Unfortunately no, FSD is tied to a car, but they can also remove it, which is pretty F***ed up tbh. It's a large part of why I won't buy FSD as I rarely keep vehicles more than 3 years.

But yea, you never mentioned where you're buying from, is it a private sale? or from a dealer? If it's a private sale, you should be fine.
Hi tech_nerd, It's a private sale.