Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Tesla MS with <200 wh/mi Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery last week of our third Model S and am surprised by the consistent sub-200 wh/mile performance. Any fellow 2020 MS owners experiencing a substantial efficiency performance? Even my wife's 2014 Model S is in the 250-270 wh/mi range and usually north of 300 wh/mi after nearly six years of driving. Anyone with the new drive train, or older Tesla vehicles experiencing performance improvements?

You're going to have to describe your situation with more detail. Temps matter as cold air is more dense. And heating costs more than cooling. If you are using AC or not. What is your average speed, max speed, are you able to draft behind another vehicle, follow distance, and all that.

230 Wh is about the EPA value for model 3. You can go lower but you won't be driving at 80 mph on the highway and get that number. Doubly so with model S.

Reactions: humpheryshomes
Possible that your display is set to kilometers? My 2020 MS Performance is averaging 345wh per mile since delivery in early November and over approximately 1400 miles. The car is permanently set to ludicrous mode and there have been several instances of using the car's acceleration capabilities to their fullest, but In general I drive conservatively and attempt to minimize battery draw. Colder weather in NJ, the apparent reduction/elimination of battery preheating, and the reduction in available regeneration has severely impacted my usage/range since I first got the car (initially just below 320wh per mile). However, I can not imagine using only 200wh per mile under any circumstances. 200wh per Km sounds about right though.

You're going to have to describe your situation with more detail. Temps matter as cold air is more dense. And heating costs more than cooling. If you are using AC or not. What is your average speed, max speed, are you able to draft behind another vehicle, follow distance, and all that.

230 Wh is about the EPA value for model 3. You can go lower but you won't be driving at 80 mph on the highway and get that number. Doubly so with model S.
I'm in Southern California where we tend to have temps in the 60s to 70s F. 65 MPH freeway and usually not more than 50 MPH city. Trips are probably 50% freeway and 50% city. Terrain is relatively flat (San Diego) and I don't follow other cars closely. In Navigate on Auto Pilot and Cruise Control, I'm at a setting of '4' or '5' behind the lead car.

• Informative
Reactions: YYZ-IAD and Flyguy
Possible that your display is set to kilometers? My 2020 MS Performance is averaging 345wh per mile since delivery in early November and over approximately 1400 miles. The car is permanently set to ludicrous mode and there have been several instances of using the car's acceleration capabilities to their fullest, but In general I drive conservatively and attempt to minimize battery draw. Colder weather in NJ, the apparent reduction/elimination of battery preheating, and the reduction in available regeneration has severely impacted my usage/range since I first got the car (initially just below 320wh per mile). However, I can not imagine using only 200wh per mile under any circumstances. 200wh per Km sounds about right though.
Fortunately, we aren't experiencing cold weather, although we did dip into the high 40s F last week when returning from a concert and coming back after 11pm. The battery performance was certainly affected! I have never preconditioned either car (I am self-employed and work from home with a very unpredictable schedule, so this feature has never been a benefit to me.)

That is extremely low. I only see sub-200 Wh/m on a downhill. On long trips I can get down to the 230s and Range Mode on (2019 Raven S). I am typically in the 260-270 on a daily basis but winter is more like 290-300.

OP, are you using Chill mode or even going the speed limit?