Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Tesla MS with <200 wh/mi Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I checked and am in range mode. Could be the cooler temps we've been experiencing and not needing to run the AC. I'll try to do the same drive with AC and see what the difference is.

How cool are the temps in your area, humpheryshomes? AC is not much of a power drain compared to heater use. Don't want to be a party-pooper, but now I wonder if there might be a possible issue with the battery cooling/heating system, which should normally increase energy use in the winter warming the battery.

It would be awesome to get consistent sub-200 Wh/m, but that would be difficult in a Model 3 during ideal weather, let alone a bigger, heavier S in the winter. Range Mode does enable torque sleep so maybe everything is working normal for you. What is your average speed, distance, and type of driving?

I have a 2016 P100DL and I am currently averaging 246 wh/mi - I am not running A/C or heat, I have it in Range Mode and I am using the Chill setting - so your numbers make sense to me as you have a more efficient system.

Enjoy the latest technology!

I have the longest range model 3, LR RWD, and I don't get sub 200 Wh at 65 mph freeway.

+1 for seeing a screenshot of the dash.

Last edited:
I often get in the 240's on the highway. Depends heavily on environment and if you are going up or down in elevation.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-05 at 7.55.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-05 at 7.55.41 PM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 127
I've been getting about 240 to 250 wh / mile in my 2019 Raven S Performance on my daily drive of about 6 miles each way into the office. I'm not in range mode. The speeds are an equal mix of 45, 55 and 65 mph in normal traffic with occasional stops at traffic lights and stop signs. Temperatures have been moderate here in Florida, so not much heat or a/c.

I have a 2016 75D. I averaged 284 Wh/mile in the summer and am now averaging 312 in the winter. It's not yet below freezing yet though and I expect it to get worse over the next two months.

I can't even imagine what it would be like to get 200 Wh/mile.....

I often get in the 240's on the highway. Depends heavily on environment and if you are going up or down in elevation.

lol. You can't seriously post Wh values for downhill driving. Do it both ways and use the average.

No one can escape that you won't get sub-200 Wh for 65 mph highway like OP is claiming. It won't happen unless the highway portion of the trip is limited and the rest is slow traffic.

my best performance on a significant trip (longer than 50 mi) has been in late May last year:
outside temp 26°C (80F) - straight highway - slight favourable altitude loss (from 273m to 120m above see level): average of 132wh/km (212wh/mi).
Car as per sig.

I ran errands today and limited any acceleration to below 35 kW, often just 25 kW...so pretty slow driving. Standard regen setting. Outside temp was between 52-55 degrees F. No AC, no heater, no seat heater, no steering wheel heater. The best I could do was an average of 242 Wh/m over 30+ miles. Not too bad for winter temps, and beats EPA-rated efficiency, but nowhere near sub-200 as OP reported, and this is with our 2019 Raven S Standard Range.

Over how many miles?

To be fair, I only just started doing this as I am on probation for the next six months - long story, but when I rear-ended someone last February in my 2014 Black Model S, no one showed up for an hour. It was rush hour and I thought the other driver had taken off. So I pushed the car onto a side street. They charged me with fleeing the scene of an accident!!!

So my current trip screen looks like this:

Since Last Charge: 21.0 mi, 5.4 kWh, 258 wh/mi
Trip A: 28,431.0 mi, 9,284.8 kWh, 327 wh/mi
Trip B: 42.3 mi, 11.1 kWh, 262 wh/mi
Odometer: 41,392.3 mi

The energy graph shows 244 wh/mi for the past 15 miles

Brent

To be fair, I only just started doing this as I am on probation for the next six months - long story, but when I rear-ended someone last February in my 2014 Black Model S, no one showed up for an hour. It was rush hour and I thought the other driver had taken off. So I pushed the car onto a side street. They charged me with fleeing the scene of an accident!!!

So my current trip screen looks like this:

Since Last Charge: 21.0 mi, 5.4 kWh, 258 wh/mi
Trip A: 28,431.0 mi, 9,284.8 kWh, 327 wh/mi
Trip B: 42.3 mi, 11.1 kWh, 262 wh/mi
Odometer: 41,392.3 mi

The energy graph shows 244 wh/mi for the past 15 miles

Brent
So your overall wh/m is 327, that’s not that far off from what I had on my p90d

Okay, I'm been obsessed with OP's claims and ran more experiments today. Conclusion is: I now believe it is possible to get below 200 Wh/mile, but it would not be as fun.

I went out on a 10-mile errand and reduced energy use down to 212 Wh/mile -- no AC, no heater, 52 degrees F outside, no rain (roads drying out from earlier rain), very little to no wind today, and using only 25-35 kW for acceleration from stop lights.

OP reported using Range Mode. Perhaps I can get sub-200 if I turn on Range Mode and put suspension to Low for better aerodynamics, but I wasn't going very fast and adhered to 45 MPH speed limit through most of the way. To go sub-200 I'd need roads with even slower speed limits.

We have had our Standard Range Raven S for 4.5 months and "Trip B" is more representative of my "lifetime average" after downsizing to 19" wheels and tires. I still think 280 Wh/m is kinda high but includes a lot of fun in those first few months. I think I've got most of it out of my system and the goal now is to lower that lifetime Wh/m average. I think my true typical Wh/m will fall somewhere between 250-260.

20200111_111524.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: EnergyMax
The record so far for a 2017 S 100D is 670 miles on a single charge. That's about 146 wh / mile at around 25 mph.

The ravens should be able to go farther.
DGV6tymUMAA95Yx
We’re not talking about record setting drives.
We’re talking about the validity of OPs claim that he CONSISTENTLY gets sub 200 wh/m, that’s hard to believe and we have yet to get any proof from the op.