Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Tesla MS with <200 wh/mi Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OP has a 2020. So only either long range or performance. I have a 2020 MS performance, 19" wheels. Consistently using 340(+/-) wh/mi. since delivery in early November. Driving conditions and the weather are less than optimal and I do love the acceleration, so my usage is probably on the higher side. Today was upper 60's in NJ. Started charging about 20 minutes before leaving so battery was slightly warmed (and I did have a little over 25Kw of regen at the start), range mode on, barely used the heat, and made a 50 mile round trip over exactly the same route each way. 75% highway, between 60 and 70 mph with a very light right foot (that was the hard part). Usage was 285 wh/mi. With warmish weather and a little preconditioning of the battery I was finally able to get down to the rated usage. I can't conceive of getting "consistent sub-200 wh/mile performance" under any normal driving conditions. Tesla needs to study that car and the OP. The combo is getting ludicrous efficiency.

• Informative
Reactions: DeynerSeals
OP has a 2020. So only either long range or performance. I have a 2020 MS performance, 19" wheels. Consistently using 340(+/-) wh/mi. since delivery in early November. Driving conditions and the weather are less than optimal and I do love the acceleration, so my usage is probably on the higher side. Today was upper 60's in NJ. Started charging about 20 minutes before leaving so battery was slightly warmed (and I did have a little over 25Kw of regen at the start), range mode on, barely used the heat, and made a 50 mile round trip over exactly the same route each way. 75% highway, between 60 and 70 mph with a very light right foot (that was the hard part). Usage was 285 wh/mi. With warmish weather and a little preconditioning of the battery I was finally able to get down to the rated usage. I can't conceive of getting "consistent sub-200 wh/mile performance" under any normal driving conditions. Tesla needs to study that car and the OP. The combo is getting ludicrous efficiency.

LOL, good one with the ludicrous efficiency. Sub-200 is attainable but local law enforcement would ticket me for going too slow to achieve that.

Intriguing. Is it normal for folks to drive 23 MPH ( ~37 KPH) for hours in Italy?

That rate of consumption/speed is just not practical nor realistic on U.S. roads and freeways.
No, that was a stunt set up specifically to achieve the best range possible.
It was done on open roads and fully respecting traffic laws, but it is definitively not representing "normal drive"...

No, that was a stunt set up specifically to achieve the best range possible.
It was done on open roads and fully respecting traffic laws, but it is definitively not representing "normal drive"...

The point is the ravens are more efficient and could probably go as low as 125 wh / mile. The OP hasn't told us under what driving conditions he obtained his result. Under the right conditions, driving slowly for example, it would be be entirely possible to get his number or even better. The epa value is just that;driving the specified range and speed profile. It's certainly possible to beat that number.

2020 Model S LR, averaged 322 Wh/Mile in December, over 600 miles, 60F avg temp. It is better than my previous 2016 Model S 75D which was typically > 400 Wh/Mile, but I would never expect sub 200 with my driving habits.

Finally saw sub-200 this morning. Just a short jaunt to the local McD's for some breakfast. Not indicative of everyday normal commute, but it IS a true trip and not me just cruising around the neighborhood at 10 MPH. I peaked at 50 MPH for this trip. However, roundtrip for the route was actually 223 Wh/m. I think I'm done with this game now.

20200120_090550.jpg

Reactions: byeLT4 and VikH