Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021.12.25.7 NAP major regression

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have FSD in a LR Model Y (manufactured Dec 2020).

TL;DR 2 Issues: 1. Tried to cross solid yellow lane to drive on shoulder. 2. Hard braking for vehicles clearly in adjacent lane.

Just went on my first drive with the above version. I was in the #1 lane on the freeway, with a clear orange line on the left, and a shoulder after that. NAP tried to change lanes over the solid yellow onto the shoulder (with indicator). I cancelled it. 5 seconds later, it tried again.

I was doing about 75 MPH and the traffic in the #2 lane was doing around 30. I started to dial the speed back, since I was surprised it wasn't doing the slowing down for adjacent lane thing (where it puts the chevrons in the lane next to you) and suddenly got extremely hard braking. I disengaged AP and drove manually for a mile, then re-engaged with no issues.

On the drive back home, something similar, except this time I was in the #3 lane, with no one in front of me, and suddenly very hard braking. I noticed 2 vehicles on the display clearly on the right side of the lane marking separating us, but the vehicles were the dark color the display usually gives for vehicles in front of you.

I've owned a Tesla for the last 3 years (had a model 3 with FSD before this one), so I'm quite familiar with driving with NAP. This is the biggest regression I've seen in a long time.

Anyone else had this?

I’ve been driving this version since July 29th and it’s been fine. I’ve also seen people complain about a number of versions feeling like a huge step backwards, but I’ve never noticed anything. It’s randomly done scary things here and there, but not right after an update as far as I can remember. I also use AP and NoAP on a majority of my drives. I require confirmation before lane changes though.

Reactions: bedoig and ahoen117
I agree. AP on .7 is a big regression.

• Now it wants to hug the side of the road
  • Very late warnings for when the car in front brakes suddenly - warning sometimes happens after the car has moved off again
  • Ignores trucks that are close to the lane divider - previously would move position within lane.
  • Lots of "Hands on" pop-up warnings i.e. when approaching bridges
  • Requires steering input to start of a auto lane change, but the margin between "confirmed" and "cancel AP" is too small.
This last one caught me out a couple of times. Have "Joe Mode" active, but on some road surfaces the AP disengaged warning sound is almost too quiet to hear, so it is easy to think that the lane change is happening automatically when in fact it is only happening because the "cancel AP" steering input is making the car drift into the next lane.

Looking forward to .10 if if fixes all this.