Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 19 inch wheel design

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey. I've had my LR3 for several months now. It's near the top of the most fun cars I've had and I'm thoroughly happy with getting it. The 2021 refresh 19" alloy wheels are similar to the previous years' design, with the exception of a thicker/wider perimeter edge that extends to the outside of the tire's molded rim protector. I think the design change was made to improve aerodynamic efficiency, but it exposes the rim to easy damage. I'm careful, but with no tire side protection, even leaving the curb with too sharp a wheel turn, after carefully parking, results in a gash. So, I can be more careful and live with it, or get change rims... it's cosmetic and the car is still great... but, do the pre-2021 refresh 19" alloy wheel edges nest inside the tire rim protector? If so, maybe I'll change to those.

LR3 Wheel.jpg

I am thinking to upsize (wider) the tires to protect the wheels. It looks like for the 19" wheels tire rack recommends 265/35 for the rear. This would give the same tire diameter. Section of 94mm for the OEM and 92.75mm for the 265/35.

Has anyone tried 265/35 on the front. It would be about 0.6" wider and the control arm is close to the tire already.

I guess I could change the rears and see if those will fit on the front before I do the fronts.

I am thinking to upsize (wider) the tires to protect the wheels. It looks like for the 19" wheels tire rack recommends 265/35 for the rear. This would give the same tire diameter. Section of 94mm for the OEM and 92.75mm for the 265/35.

Has anyone tried 265/35 on the front. It would be about 0.6" wider and the control arm is close to the tire already.

I guess I could change the rears and see if those will fit on the front before I do the fronts.
265 tire on a 19x9 is a bit too wide.

Danny

The tire is a bit wide for the wheel. Do you have a performance or non-performance Model 3?

Danny

Actually both. For the performance I have a set of 18" wheels with snows for the winter. Less potential for damage, and we are real careful with the 20" in the summer.

For the non-performance LR RWD we have the 19" sport wheels with all seasons year round. Need to change the tires. Thinking to bump up the tire size to avoid the wheel rash and give it a little more aggressive look. I would like to keep a square set up. Recommendation on size and aspect ratio?