Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ 19" Tire Alternatives

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has an offbeat size on the 2021+ refresh model S with the 19" wheel option leaving hardly any choice as tire OD needs to be spot on between the front and rear to avoid damage to the drive train/computer freaking out. This is common to all AWD cars with staggered wheels as I found out on my previous Mercedes and the same holds true for the Model S.

I did a bit of research trying to find an alternative size and did find an acceptable substitute.

Stock size front is 255/45-19 and rear is 285/40-19

There may be other brands Tire Rack does not carry suitable for the S however here is a list of available tires in stock size from Tire Rack

Stock Size 19" Model S Refresh Tires

The closest alternative sizes I could find are 245/45-19 for the front and a matching rear diameter, although a bit narrower than the stock rear, 275/40-19

This opens up several pages of staggered combinations as can be seen in the link below.

Alternative Size 19" Model S Refresh Tires

Here are the comparisons in dimensions for both from and rear stock/alternative size tires. As can be seen the difference is minimal.

Front Tire Comparison

Rear Tire Comparison

My S came with the P-Zero PZ4 which are highly rated for dry traction but fall short elsewhere not to mention the tread wear will have me looking for new tire in no time.

My goal is to find a comfortable long lasting tire when the stockers kick the bucket. I want to keep my stock 19" wheels which obviously lock me into a staggered setup. Not being able to rotate tires will definitely cause the tires to wear out much faster therefor higher tread wear ratings are a must. Model S LR owners like myself on 19" wheels would most likely benefit from the alternate choices as I have shown.

Any comments on why the alternate sizes may not work as well are more than appreciated.