Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021/2022 Aftermarket hitch option - Draw-Tite Class III

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wondering if anyone has been considering opting for this after-market hitch. I currently have a Kuat NV 2.0 4-bike rack, and have 2 specialized turbo levo's & SL, which combined weigh approximately 90lbs. With the rack weighing approximately 90lbs and 2 additional bikes for the kiddos at around 40 lbs, we're clearing over the 120lb vertical tongue limit on the stock hitch at approx. 230lbs. This aftermarket hitch from Draw-Tite is rated class III and has a higher 'tongue' weight limit, but the website doesn't specify what the vertical limit is. Any thoughts/inputs would be greatly appreciated!

I did that on my 2017 X, and just got my refresh X and will likely do the same. I recall the tongue weight being much higher on the aftermarket hitch. What a waste of money but I'll cost more if I drop 4 bikes on the highway.

I did that on my 2017 X, and just got my refresh X and will likely do the same. I recall the tongue weight being much higher on the aftermarket hitch. What a waste of money but I'll cost more if I drop 4 bikes on the highway.
Definitely agree with you. Did you install the hitch yourself, or have it done professionally somewhere?

Does anyone know if the Draw-Tite Max-Frame Trailer Hitch Receiver - Custom Fit - Class III - 2" Item # 76143 is compatible with the new X refresh? I sent an email to etrailer and drawtite but I wouldn't be surprised if they don't know the answer yet since it's so new.

There is more to towing with a Model X than just adding a hitch. The Towing Package option includes the hitch, the receiver, the wiring harness and software to handle it all. The software helps to do things like preventing the trailer from swaying and increases range.
All 2021~2022 X's come with the detachable tow hitch as a standard option on the vehicle, along with proper wiring harness. I believe this removable hitch provides a weak link to an otherwise well-built hitch system, and thus results in a reduced vertical load weight limit of only 120lbs. Also, the stock hitch receiver is closed to the front, and thus doesn't allow the ball mount to slide in more than just a few inches.

Reactions: ahkim
Thule Access (25.5 kg - discontinued - adaptor that allows any hitch to become swing away) plus Thule Range (16.3 kg) plus Thule Tram (~10 kg) = 51.8 kg. Then add 2 adult skis and 3 kids skis... Do you think I should upgrade the hitch? Manual only says vertical weight of 54 kg. What is the most amount weight you put on the stock hitch removable receiver and did go 70 mph down the express way with it? I am more worried about it breaking and hurting someone else than anything else.

Does anyone know if the Draw-Tite Max-Frame Trailer Hitch Receiver - Custom Fit - Class III - 2" Item # 76143 is compatible with the new X refresh? I sent an email to etrailer and drawtite but I wouldn't be surprised if they don't know the answer yet since it's so new.
Have you heard back from etrailer by any chance? Picking up my car this weekend, and really need to upgrade my hitch to support our bikes/rack...

Someone stated that the part number for the OEM hitch on the refreshed X and previous X are the same. Can someone verify/confirm with an older model? Here's a picture from my 2022 with the part no.

Attachments

• 20220208_171119.jpg
    20220208_171119.jpg
    614.2 KB · Views: 359
Reactions: gbailey
Just wanted to add that I purchased and installed the Draw Tite on my 2022 X Plaid this morning without any issues. Followed the same instructions as previous models(difference was that the number of bolts on the bottom are fewer than previous models), and installed in under 2 hours. Recommend placing the car on a ramp for easier access underneath, and an extra hand to align the bumper when putting things back together.
Hitch is flush with bumper; can't see when looking directly down from bumper, so not worried about bruised shins. 😆
Now have to work on cutting the the cover trim and secure the tow wiring.

Attachments

• 20220209_123505.jpg
    20220209_123505.jpg
    725.2 KB · Views: 180
  • 20220209_123450.jpg
    20220209_123450.jpg
    948.9 KB · Views: 178
  • 20220209_123453.jpg
    20220209_123453.jpg
    690.2 KB · Views: 204
  • 20220209_103557.jpg
    20220209_103557.jpg
    761.6 KB · Views: 192
  • 20220209_103549.jpg
    20220209_103549.jpg
    819.4 KB · Views: 194
  • 20220209_103544.jpg
    20220209_103544.jpg
    788.1 KB · Views: 162
  • 20220209_103444.jpg
    20220209_103444.jpg
    732.3 KB · Views: 191
Just wanted to add that I purchased and installed the Draw Tite on my 2022 X Plaid this morning without any issues. Followed the same instructions as previous models(difference was that the number of bolts on the bottom are fewer than previous models), and installed in under 2 hours. Recommend placing the car on a ramp for easier access underneath, and an extra hand to align the bumper when putting things back together.
Hitch is flush with bumper; can't see when looking directly down from bumper, so not worried about bruised shins. 😆
Wow, thanks so much for verifying this! I installed mine today after taking your word that it fit the 2022 MX.
I used a carpenter’s square to mark out cut lines on the trim piece, it came out very clean.

Reactions: suyoungman
Can you post a photo of the final trim? I'm going to have my hitch installed on Tues and am wondering how to cut the trim and have access to the wiring.
I dropped it off to be wrapped this morning and won’t have it back for about a week, I will post then. In the meantime, know that a small notch does need to be trimmed on the large underbody panel before it can be bolted back in place. As wide as the square receiver and only an inch deep. (Page 3, fig 2 shows this cut. I did not make mine 2.5” as shown)
The small detachable cover can stay off until you trim it. I only plan to use mine for a bike rack, so I ziptied the wiring and trailer plug connections up out of the way do they don’t rattle around.
This link is installation instructions, which are very similar to the 2022 model, a few less bolts is the big difference. I followed them to do the trimming and it tuned out fine. Drill holes for the corners of your cut and use a benchtop scroll or band saw to make very clean cuts. I sanded all cuts flat with an oscillating tool.
Good luck!

Nice work, this will save someone some time in searching. Let us know if there's any issues down the road, although I don't expect you to have any.

Just wondering if anyone has been considering opting for this after-market hitch. I currently have a Kuat NV 2.0 4-bike rack, and have 2 specialized turbo levo's & SL, which combined weigh approximately 90lbs. With the rack weighing approximately 90lbs and 2 additional bikes for the kiddos at around 40 lbs, we're clearing over the 120lb vertical tongue limit on the stock hitch at approx. 230lbs. This aftermarket hitch from Draw-Tite is rated class III and has a higher 'tongue' weight limit, but the website doesn't specify what the vertical limit is. Any thoughts/inputs would be greatly appreciated!
I'm considering this aftermarket hitch for the exact same reason -- however I can't find any information on its "vertical weight limit". It seems like people are buying this hitch rather than the standard model X one from Tesla specifically to have a larger vertical weight limit, but the manufacturer only specifies a tongue weight and towing weight rating that I can find.