Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021/2022 LR w/boost vs 2020 Performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking to get back to owning an EV. I used to own a 2021 m3 performance. It was very nice with a coil over upgrade. I am looking to sell a Honda FK8 for it.

Will I miss the acceleration difference if I go with the LR with boost? Or just stick with the performance but older model?

Does LR with boost have a similar top speed to the performance? You see... where I live, 0-60 isn't as important as 60-top speed. It is important, but not as important.

Any input is welcome.

I've been thinking about getting the boost upgrade myself. There's not much info on the page does it increase the max speed and does it add another drive mode or just update your normal mode to the new speed? Also any range loss if you're just driving it gently?

Reactions: Theraven
My first Tesla was a Model 3 Long Range w/ Boost. My second is a M3P. While the LR+Boost was very quick and great bang for buck, the M3P is still noticeably quicker off the line.

M3P 0-60 is about a 0.5s faster. Gap is even wider for 0-100 (about 0.6s faster). M3P 1/4 Mile can typically be around 11.4 or 11.5s, while the LR+Boost is around 11.7-11.8. Not a massive difference, but noticeable by the driver still. Both are great cars, and I think the LR+Boost is clearly the value choice.

Reactions: Lindenwood
Will I miss the acceleration difference if I go with the LR with boost? Or just stick with the performance but older model?
This is a very personal choice of course, but my feeling is LR+Boost gets you 80-90% of the way to M3P for a lot less $$ (and less insurance too, in most places, and more range). Of course, on the track its a no-brainer, but for general fun driving I really enjoy my LW+Boost (I've driven the M3P quite a bit, its amazing to drive but when I go back to my LS+Boost I never feel a huge let-down).

This is a very personal choice of course, but my feeling is LR+Boost gets you 80-90% of the way to M3P for a lot less $$ (and less insurance too, in most places, and more range). Of course, on the track its a no-brainer, but for general fun driving I really enjoy my LW+Boost (I've driven the M3P quite a bit, its amazing to drive but when I go back to my LS+Boost I never feel a huge let-down).
Not a huge let-down but the let-down is still there huh?

My first Tesla was a Model 3 Long Range w/ Boost. My second is a M3P. While the LR+Boost was very quick and great bang for buck, the M3P is still noticeably quicker off the line.

M3P 0-60 is about a 0.5s faster. Gap is even wider for 0-100 (about 0.6s faster). M3P 1/4 Mile can typically be around 11.4 or 11.5s, while the LR+Boost is around 11.7-11.8. Not a massive difference, but noticeable by the driver still. Both are great cars, and I think the LR+Boost is clearly the value choice.
Any difference on roll?

Not from about 30 MPH or so on, no, they are the same in that regard.

Since you said 0-60 doesnt matter that much, thats exactly where the difference is (as far as acceleration) for these cars.
Based on the power/torque curves, the P should be quicker until 125ish km/h and all 3 should be roughly equal from 150 km/h

Model-3-P3D-vs-AWD-vs-AWD.png

On a German forum they found the performance made more power everywhere, but I wonder if that’s with the hairpin motor that we don’t get here in the US.

517e6d4f-c797-465b-aacc-f3515e4a0dff-jpeg.648567

Last edited:
Reactions: Lindenwood
I've been thinking about getting the boost upgrade myself. There's not much info on the page does it increase the max speed and does it add another drive mode or just update your normal mode to the new speed? Also any range loss if you're just driving it gently?
no increase of top speed, still limited to 145mph
just an increase of HP which drops 0-60 time by about 0.5
(mine was like 4.2-4.3 to 3.75-3.80)

makes you wonder if its all software,
just how much more do they have left in em that is being held back ?

Reactions: OliverM3