Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 / 2022 Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why is the refresh model x listed with less range than the previous. Teslarati reported the below recently. Seems like it would get a range and speed boost?

Refreshed Model X LR will be lighter, more powerful

Compared to '20 Model X LR
• 14% reduction in battery weight
• 13% increase in battery specific energy
• Power increased by more than 30%, equipped AC magnetic motors both front & rear
• 4% reduction in curve weight

Smaller but more efficient battery. It did get a small speed boost, now almost as fast as our Raven S. 3.8 vs 3.7. Less weight should equate to better tire wear.
What I would like to see (besides second row arm rest) is adjustable control arms for camber and alignment. I don't want to have to pay for and pay to have installed adjustable suspension parts. Every one's shook up about range and music play...the suspension system is most important part of the car.

Reactions: Bigriver
What are you (or did you) change about the suspension?

Good point on speed.
I haven't rec'd my X yet - MSM 5 seat, ordered Nov 2020. BUT, I've read about camber eating the inside of tires alive. I will watch the tire wear and buy adjustable parts if I have to. On Model S, I've read about control arms breaking and eating tires. Our 2019 has 13,000 miles. I had a Ranger rotate the tires and they look great inside and out. They came to my office, rotated tires and it was only 50 bucks. What a smokin' deal. That was first contact with service/ranger since we got the car 9/2019.

I do agree if you tow more range would be great to compensate for the increased drag. As far as road trips, our biology appreciates charging every 150 miles or so. We don't tow, but you never know. Now I'm just planning on using a bike hitch on the X.

Back on topic, my first impulse was like you, with the stats you cited in your orig post, should be 400+ miles of range.

Reactions: Joshnickell
I do agree if you tow more range would be great to compensate for the increased drag. As far as road trips, our biology appreciates charging every 150 miles or so. We don't tow, but you never know. Now I'm just planning on using a bike hitch on the X.

Back on topic, my first impulse was like you, with the stats you cited in your orig post, should be 400+ miles of range.
That’s because it’s the new SR. I’m waiting for the LR version ;) Tesla will wait for Lucid or Rivian to ramp up and then hit them with the new LR version.

That’s because it’s the new SR. I’m waiting for the LR version ;) Tesla will wait for Lucid or Rivian to ramp up and then hit them with the new LR version.
You're right. Just went to Tesla.com, and they call it a Model X 351 range, not 360 and Model X plaid. They don't call it long range anymore. Interesting. My purchase agreement calls it a Model X Long Range.... me thinks something is afoot....

They seem to be re-structuring their entire lineup to have a "base" model and then various upgrade levels.

I think the real-world range of waht used to be the "Long Range" will be longer than the 371-mile Long Range Plus pre-refresh models, except maybe in super-ideal conditions where the LR+ can take advantage of its slightly bigger battery without using it all on keeping the cabin warm/cool/going too fast. Refresh heat pump, aero improvements, new cooling strategies etc. seem to be making a big difference on the S. The big rear motor is probably eating some of the imrpovements too, that extra 100+hp isn't free

And that won't really be material because the refresh cars can hold 200+kw for like 50% of the charging curve. It's nto even a little close on charge speeds

So yeah, don't sweat the number on the website, it's going to be a big range improvement in the real world

You're right. Just went to Tesla.com, and they call it a Model X 351 range, not 360 and Model X plaid. They don't call it long range anymore. Interesting. My purchase agreement calls it a Model X Long Range.... me thinks something is afoot....
I would be surprised if that is it. There could be a longer range in the future, but it still doesn’t explain why this model went down in miles with the improvements made.

They seem to be re-structuring their entire lineup to have a "base" model and then various upgrade levels.

I think the real-world range of waht used to be the "Long Range" will be longer than the 371-mile Long Range Plus pre-refresh models, except maybe in super-ideal conditions where the LR+ can take advantage of its slightly bigger battery without using it all on keeping the cabin warm/cool/going too fast. Refresh heat pump, aero improvements, new cooling strategies etc. seem to be making a big difference on the S. The big rear motor is probably eating some of the imrpovements too, that extra 100+hp isn't free

And that won't really be material because the refresh cars can hold 200+kw for like 50% of the charging curve. It's nto even a little close on charge speeds

So yeah, don't sweat the number on the website, it's going to be a big range improvement in the real world
Good point on real world feel of the mileage.

hmmmm. maybe have the reg X (standard range) and when, say, upgraded 4680 battery packs arrive then thAT will become the long range... One can dream, right?

I hope so. I don't need or want a wagon that runs low-11's. Just give me a ~$70,000 base price, 450-ish hp, ~5000lb or less, 7 seats, AWD, and 300 miles "rated"/225-ish miles of real-world cold winter into a headwind range so I can skip a charger during winter road trips once in a while, and I'll be happy. This is, basically, the 7-seat Y, but that thing is just a little bit too small for what we need from the car. I still hpoe they'll make a LWB Y.

Oh, and a steering wheel

Reactions: cusetownusa