Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 / 2022 Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here are more details for you. When I read this it appears the new battery is 3kwh smaller, or about 10 miles. The rest of the range reduction is probably due to the new motors. Hopefully over time the software driving those more powerful motors can be tuned and give us some additional range.

What I like best about the new battery pack is the thermal enhancements so it can add 175 miles in 15 minutes. My X75D takes almost an hour to add that many miles.

Here are more details for you. When I read this it appears the new battery is 3kwh smaller, or about 10 miles. The rest of the range reduction is probably due to the new motors. Hopefully over time the software driving those more powerful motors can be tuned and give us some additional range.

What I like best about the new battery pack is the thermal enhancements so it can add 175 miles in 15 minutes. My X75D takes almost an hour to add that many miles.

The charge time is a huge bonus

They shrunk the pack (I swear I read somewhere on here it was ~94kWh, maybe that was usable capacity) to increase profit margin - no other reason. There is space in the pack for more cells. What are you going to do? Until there is viable competition, your choice is Tesla or ICE. Tesla is squeezing their customers as hard as they can. As long as their order books are full, they simply don't care.

Reactions: FirstInTown
They shrunk the pack (I swear I read somewhere on here it was ~94kWh, maybe that was usable capacity) to increase profit margin - no other reason. There is space in the pack for more cells. What are you going to do? Until there is viable competition, your choice is Tesla or ICE. Tesla is squeezing their customers as hard as they can. As long as their order books are full, they simply don't care.
I'm not so sure about that. Batteries are not the easiest commodity to come by, even for Tesla. They are having to rob Peter (semi, Cybertruck) to pay Paul (model Y, Megapack, power wall and model 3) for batteries.

I don't think that's going to be true for the US cars at all. I have an H battery X and have watched some of the S charging curve videos as well and this result seems to jive pretty well with what they see:

It's holding 250kw from almost-zero to almost 35% in this graph. And here's a real-world owner reporting:

I have never observed better than 210kw, and it de-rates to 100-105kw on its best day by 50%. The curve may be the same shape but at least in the US, it's 30-40kw shy of what the new cars can do until you get above 50% and then they start to converge a bit

Last edited:
This hasn't been the case with the you tubers I've seen. Plaid and refresh seem definitely faster.
Show me one that is faster and i believe it. This one goes below 100kW at 67% (see the screenshot) and reaches 80% and 90% exactly like the plaid ones i’ve seen.

Here in the EU ccs adapter limits the max power at 143kW until 50% so i can’t comment on the peak powers. They are not real here.

Attachments

• 15B1BB82-30D7-4B8C-8F33-3319A7312232.png
    15B1BB82-30D7-4B8C-8F33-3319A7312232.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 155
Last edited:
Show me one that is faster and i believe it. This one goes below 100kW at 67% (see the screenshot) and reaches 80% and 90% exactly like the plaid ones i’ve seen.

Here in the EU ccs adapter limits the max power at 143kW until 50% so i can’t comment on the peak powers. They are not real here.
Raven doesn't go 250. Model S Plaid Supercharging 0-100% | InsideEVs Photos

I'm not aware of anybody actually proving up the "up to 250kw" claim on the Ravens either.

Which is fine, it's a matter of minutes' difference in charge times in the real world per stop, unless you're towing or it's -30 degrees. But it's definitely not near as fast from 0-50% as the refresh cars, in the US where regulators haven't caused a bottleneck ;)

Reactions: jboy210
I don't have my replacement X yet so can't comment on its speed. But I had the chance to use one of the new fast chargers at Sand City on our 3 LR and saw 1000 mile per hour. From 9% to 50% went real fast. From there to 80% if decreased, but not as much as I expected. By the time I used the restroom and drank a latte the car was ready to go.

I hope my replacement X charges as fast.

Like I said, in the US, it's not even close.

Show me proof instead of repeating it. Screenshot or something above 100kW after 67%, 142kW at 46% or 78kW at 80%. These numbers are from my car. Even if it would do few minutes at 250kW in the US and the rest of the curve is the same or worse, i’m not impressed.

That said, this car was also sold around the world with a promise of 250kW. They just never delivered here in the EU - some people in the twitter claim that they did in the US and it does that up to 30%.

Last edited: