Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 / 2022 Refresh Windshield Wiper Replacements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TL:DR....

Being that the new refresh hasn't been out that long, I imagine few have needed to replace the wipers yet but know its coming.
Hopefully this helps a few when they need them.

If you need new wipers for the new Model S, options are VERY limited. Tesla doesn't have them for sale yet and I tried 4 different aftermarket options that DID NOT WORK....

What DOES work is the Bosch Aerotwin Set part # 3397007638. Available for $28 on Amazon.

While technically the passenger side wiper is 1" longer (21" vs 20"), they fit and work perfectly.
In fact, side by side, it appears to be the exact same blade other than the printed "Bosch" on the end. I am 99% sure Tesla is sourcing the OEM blades from Bosch.

------------------------- The rest of the story--------------------------------

I usually upgrade wipers on my new vehicles. Historically the OEM blades don't last long so I have always seen it as a cheap upgrade for one less thing to worry about.

Being this was my first Tesla, I was pleasantly surprised the OEM seemed to be decent quality, I ALMOST didn't mess with them but not being one to leave well enough alone, here is what I found.....

The new S uses what's known as either a narrow PTB or a 16mm "top lock". (Also referred to as a BMW Top Lock). Factory lengths are 26" and 20".

I tried the PIAA Si-Tech, the Michelin Endurance XT, the Silblade Flex & the Kimblade Silicone models.... NONE OF THEM WORK.

Most had the same issues, the "universal" attachment adds too much depth to the blade assembly causing the wiper arm to hit the frunk / hood when retracting under the edge.

In ADDITION to this, the Michelin model's universal adapter was too wide, even after removing the wings to change it from the 19mm to the 16mm top lock version, the end would hit the washer fluid nozzle.

The Bosch Aerotwin was to be my last attempt. Maybe not so much an upgrade by this point, but now I was beginning to worry I wouldn't have an easy path to an exact replacement when I needed them.

In other words, I was on a mission...

Aerotwin are not universal, you buy the models with the correct connection accordingly.
Unfortunately I could not find the EXACT lengths but I have used slightly longer wipers on other vehicles without issue so figured it was worth a shot.
And thankfully it was a success!!!!

I THINK the Bosch ICON 26OE and 20OE MIGHT work as well, while semi universal, the OE versions appear to have a more basic attachment assembly and since they aren't trying to be universal to so many adapters, they MAY be another options.... I am tired of trying new ones though, I'll stick with the Aerotwin set for now.

I think it is interesting that your philosophy on OEM wipers is completely opposite mine. I always have bought OEM wipers, generally from dealers since they are not readily available from parts stores (unlike Tesla). The Bosch Icon are the OEM ones that are sold by Tesla for all models prior to 2021+. I don't think the windshield size or wipers have changed, but I don't know. Parts store wipers have generally been chattery, stiff, and not good at wiping the windshield in my experience. The OEM wipers generally have softer rubber and do a better job. That is why they don't last as long. Just like tires, I buy safe tires that are soft rubber and don't last 40K miles, but grip the road and do well on water covered roads. They are never that long lasting, am I replace them before they reach minimum depth. To each his or her own, I guess.

Reactions: Daniel454
Wipers are typically made by other companies and then branded by the car company, so there is nothing really special about them. I get my wipers from my local auto shop. I have found lots of choices from cheap to superior quality. Additionally, you can pick wipers that best meet your driving conditions instead of one version fits all.

Last edited:
Wipers are typically made by other companies and then branded by car company, so there is nothing really special about them. I get my wipers from my local auto shop. I have found lots of choices from cheap to superior quality. Additionally, you can pick wipers that best meet your driving conditions instead of one version fits all.
I remember my 2002 BMW M5 had blades from the factory with spoilers on them to hold them against the windshield. At 12 months my local dealer replaced them with good ole Walmart type wipers and tossed my OEM blades. I am sure they were made by someone, likely Bosch, but I could never duplicate the OEM capability. I also buy BMW, Toyota, or Mercedes windshield washer fluid. These products are also superior to anything you can buy at Walmart or a parts store, even though somebody obviously makes it for the OEM. This my experience.

I remember my 2002 BMW M5 had blades from the factory with spoilers on them to hold them against the windshield. At 12 months my local dealer replaced them with good ole Walmart type wipers and tossed my OEM blades. I am sure they were made by someone, likely Bosch, but I could never duplicate the OEM capability. I also buy BMW, Toyota, or Mercedes windshield washer fluid. These products are also superior to anything you can buy at Walmart or a parts store, even though somebody obviously makes it for the OEM. This my experience.

At least the OEM stuff is supposed to meet a quality level, so there is that! ;)

Reactions: DerbyDave
I think it is interesting that your philosophy on OEM wipers is completely opposite mine. .......... To each his or her own, I guess.

I think that's a fair comparison. A lot like tires, everyone's definition of an upgrade is different.

For me, I want them to last longer and for my environment the silicone work great new and longer but I could see in some areas / use cases maybe they wouldn't and the soft rubber OEM are needed.

It does appear that Tesla made at least one change in that they moved from the larger 19mm top lock to the narrow 16mm across all models but the bigger issue here was the depth needing to be very narrow to retract under the hood, just a little skeptical the ICON will fit so think they may have moved to Aerotwin.

Pictures can be misleading though, wouldn't know without trying it.

Reactions: DerbyDave
Thanks for this thread. The AeroTwin blades are also a perfect fit for my 2022 Model S Plaid. It's a slightly different part number for the Model S -- 3397007088. I had some ICONs left on the shelf that fit my 2019 Model S -- they did NOT fit the 2022, that's why I'm here.

Interestingly, all the sites I tried (Amazon, etc.) complained that these don't fit the 2022 S Plaid. Since they're pretty cheap ($27 for both blades, about half the cost of the ICONs) I figured I'd give them a try. They DO fit. They are exactly the same as the wipers on the car. Go figure...

Thanks for the tip.

Last edited:
It's a slightly different part number for the Model S -- 3397007088.

Thanks for the tip.
Very interesting.

Mine is a 2022 Plaid as well, I did not go with the model number you listed (3397007088) as they are shown as having a 19mm top lock, but my March Build Plaid uses a 16mm top lock.

The ones I went with (3397007638 ) were identical to my original ones in the locking / mounting area but the passenger side is 1" longer (which is only 1/2 an inch in each direction and still works fine, not extending past the glass)

So either you can use a 16mm or 19mm on this car, OR the (3397007088) is improperly listed as a 19mm when its actually a 16mm or Tesla changed the mount mid stream....

Hopefully others will chime in as they eventually get to replacing these and let us know.

• Love
Reactions: OConnorStP
Very interesting.

Mine is a 2022 Plaid as well, I did not go with the model number you listed (3397007088) as they are shown as having a 19mm top lock, but my March Build Plaid uses a 16mm top lock.

The ones I went with (3397007638 ) were identical to my original ones in the locking / mounting area but the passenger side is 1" longer (which is only 1/2 an inch in each direction and still works fine, not extending past the glass)

So either you can use a 16mm or 19mm on this car, OR the (3397007088) is improperly listed as a 19mm when its actually a 16mm or Tesla changed the mount mid stream....

Hopefully others will chime in as they eventually get to replacing these and let us know.

Egad! You're right! I was just looking at the blades and not the mount. I just checked. The ones I listed (3397007088) DO NOT fit. The mount is just a tad too wide (3 mm to be precise). Thanks Danial.

• Love
Interesting. There's two "close by not quite" options. The ones Daniel (sorry for the misspelling) found:

26" and 21" with 16mm top lock, passenger side is one inch longer than OEM -- part number 3397007638.​
But there's also a pair that's the reverse:

27" and 20" with the 16mm top lock, driver's side is one inch longer than OEM -- part number 3397007586.​

I'm gonna buy both. I'll be able to try various combinations to see how they work. The thing I'm most interested in (aside from actually fitting) is which works better with the cameras. If worse comes to worst, I'll throw away the long ones and use the short ones that match OEM. The two packages together will cost about what I used to pay for the ICONs that fit my 2015 and 2019 Model S's. Thanks again Daniel -- I glad I wasn't stuck out in a storm wondering why my blades didn't fit.

Interesting. There's two "close by not quite" options. The ones Daniel (sorry for the misspelling) found:

26" and 21" with 16mm top lock, passenger side is one inch longer than OEM -- part number 3397007638.​
But there's also a pair that's the reverse:

27" and 20" with the 16mm top lock, driver's side is one inch longer than OEM -- part number 3397007586.​

I'm gonna buy both. I'll be able to try various combinations to see how they work. The thing I'm most interested in (aside from actually fitting) is which works better with the cameras. If worse comes to worst, I'll throw away the long ones and use the short ones that match OEM. The two packages together will cost about what I used to pay for the ICONs that fit my 2015 and 2019 Model S's. Thanks again Daniel -- I glad I wasn't stuck out in a storm wondering why my blades didn't fit.

I've had a look at both flavors now and I'm going with Daniel's recommendation. The other ones fit but the attachment isn't the exact perfect OEM match that Daniel's 26"/21" pair is. So my vote goes to part number 3397007638 for those of us who are replacing refreshed Model S wiper blades.

Here's the comparison shot between the OEM wiper-mount and the one that is on the 27 x 20" pair. It fits and I'm pretty sure they'd work, but they're not the exact match that the 26 x 21" ones have.

IMG_0223 wiper mounts.jpeg

The direct fit same size wiper set (26"/20") with the same 16mm toplock attachment in place on the arms is Bosch Aerotwin #3397014621. Comes with both driver and passenger arm in the package. This fits the refresh (Yoke) Model S.

Kept my old blades and was able to replace the wiper inserts with Silicone ones. A little tricky but no problem and will try them on the Y since it takes the same blade configuration as the Y we have.

Last edited:
I can say from my personal experience the stock OEM Tesla wipers are really good and I have used them in really bad snow storms and when there is quite a bit of slush and grime.

When I got my S, I noticed that the passenger side wipers were very stuttery, noisy and was causing uneven wipes and leaving streaks. The first thing I checked was to make sure the arms were not warped, bent or not aligned properly to the windshield. And sure enough the passenger arm was not sitting on the windshield true and flat. When I checked further, I noticed the bottom portion of the arm was bent, causing it to sit misaligned.

Once the SC replaced the arm, the wipers are almost perfect now. No stutter, cleans very well and whisper quiet.

So, my recommendation for any one having issues with your wipers, check the arm itself first to make sure it is not misaligned for any reason.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ