Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021.24.10 now nags every 10s when on AP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, this latest 2021.24.10 that I received a couple days ago is horrendous! For the past 6 months, I could turn on Autopilot and usually get 30s to 45s before the nag comes up to put torque on the steering wheel. After the 2021.24.10 update, it is now every 10 seconds consistently. Is this what we get when Tesla gets scared of NHTSA?

I understand you are supposed to be ready to take over but it was nice to be able to rest my hand on my knee literally a half inch from the steering wheel for 30s before needing to mash on the wheel.

Anyone else noticed a big difference with 2021.24.10?

Mike

I’ve been on 2021.24.10 for a few days as well. No noticeable change to AP for me. Been on the interstate a few times and I still get the NAG about every 25-30 seconds, depending on the set speed.

What about back roads? I almost never hit the highway so my observations have been on two lane (mostly straight) country roads.

I've been holding off on updating because I've heard about this happening. Some people say if the interior camera is turned on, AP takes longer to nag? Maybe you could try that and see if it makes a difference?

If by "turned on" you mean data sharing under security set to "Yes" for the camera: that's been enabled since I got the car (although I'm not sure why I'd have to "share" the data in order for the camera to be "used" for attentiveness). Based on the release notes for 2021.32.5 saying cabin camera is activated for driver attentiveness, I'm guessing versions before that like 2021.24.10 doesn't use the cabin camera for that. And typical for Tesla, they only released 2021.32.5 to a small handful of people and then stopped releasing it.

Mike

Sorry, I haven’t used AP on any back/secondary roads yet. Honestly, I almost never use AP there anyay, because I still enjoy the manual driving experience on back roads.

There's really not much "driving experience" on the straight country state roads here in FL. They can go on for 10 miles with nothing more than a long sweeping <5 degree bend now and then. So all you're doing is nudging the steering wheel back and forth a millimeter or two to keep it between the lines. That's why I use AP all the time on the back roads for those long straights. There's so much debris on the highway that you get damage just going a few exits so I avoid that like COVID. ;)

Mike

Reactions: GreenHokie
Drove 6 hours on highway and back roads yesterday on this FW version. no noticeable difference with nag. I've never measured it, but on local roads, I feel like even with older firmware, the nag could happen sooner than 30sec. At full highway speeds, it's around 30sec. Bumper to bumper, it can be a couple of minutes before a nag.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
Wait wait, you're saying your hands are not on the wheel at all times as the pop-up warning advises you and what the manual says? Color me SHOCKED, SHOCKED(!!!!!) I say that you're getting nagged...

Our robot-overlords have not taken over yet so until then just put your dang hands on the wheel like in the old times maaaan

Wait wait, you're saying your hands are not on the wheel at all times as the pop-up warning advises you and what the manual says? Color me SHOCKED, SHOCKED(!!!!!) I say that you're getting nagged...

Our robot-overlords have not taken over yet so until then just put your dang hands on the wheel like in the old times maaaan

And what... let GM's SuperCruise win? I think NOT! 🤓

If they're going to use the cabin camera to judge driver attentiveness, then USE IT! The only reason you have to nudge the wheel is that before activating the cabin camera, they had no other way to discern whether or not you were still paying attention. They obviously don't care whether or not your hands are on the wheel if you can cancel the message by just clicking a scroll wheel: all you are doing is saying "Yeah, I'm still here"... every 10 seconds.

Mike

No, that isn't what the OP is saying at all.

Tesla uses a torque sensor to detect hands on the steering wheel. That means you can't just have your hands on the steering wheel, but that you have to be applying torque in one direction or the other. Enough torque that it sensors your hand(s), but not enough that it overrides AP.

On my Model 3 the torque sensor isn't very sensitive, and requires either holding the steering wheel wrong to prevent the nag.

On the 2015 Model S that I traded in for the Model 3 the torque sensor was really sensitive, and I never had any issue with it.

So I think there are differences in the torque sensor between vehicles which explains why some people have lot more issues with it than others. It also explains why some people can fall asleep with their car still driving (without using a steering wheel weight).

My experience with 2021.24.10 on a 2018 Model 3 with HW3.

Initial annoyance at the lack of any release notes. They didn't even bother saying bug fixes. It also wasn't the version I wanted. I wanted the version that turned on the interior camera.

More nags, but I didn't find it all that bothersome. My Model 3 has always had a stubborn torque sensor, and having more nags just made it easier to test different ways of holding it.

Finally got my first phantom braking event that wasn't maps related in a quite awhile. It was a overhead bridge that I just happened upon when there wasn't anyone in front of me. Took me by total surprise.

The streaming music issue seems to have been fixed either with this update or something server side. In any case I could finally go on a long journey without a song skipping to another song a quarter of the way through.

The battery conditioning for an upcoming supercharger is completely broken. It told me it was preconditioning 60+miles away from it. Then at 40 miles it turned off before being turned back on at 15 miles.

At the hotel they mentioned it had 50+ sentry warning in their parking garage. Now I don't know what they have going on down there, but I guess I'll have to review the footage to see. I'll be really disappointed if I don't see some Gargoyles.

Reactions: MikeyC
Initial annoyance at the lack of any release notes. They didn't even bother saying bug fixes. It also wasn't the version I wanted. I wanted the version that turned on the interior camera.

It looks to me like the first version that turns on the camera where the release notes say the camera is actually being used for driver monitoring is 2021.32.5. Unfortunately based on what I see on TeslaFi, they released that to very few cars and then pulled it. Now today there are a few installs of it (like 4 today) so this looks to be a dead version. That happens sometimes: they send out a few on one version and then it just dies. Then some days later we'll see an even more updated version going out. I assume that's when they release a version, find some issue with it, stop sending it out and we see a newer version later.

When they "commit" to a version, you see numbers in the 800 to 1200 installs per day. 2021.32.5 seems, so far, to be dead in the water: a few installs per day over the past week in the single digits.

Mike

• Informative
Reactions: S4WRXTTCS
Wow, this latest 2021.24.10 that I received a couple days ago is horrendous! For the past 6 months, I could turn on Autopilot and usually get 30s to 45s before the nag comes up to put torque on the steering wheel. After the 2021.24.10 update, it is now every 10 seconds consistently. Is this what we get when Tesla gets scared of NHTSA?

I understand you are supposed to be ready to take over but it was nice to be able to rest my hand on my knee literally a half inch from the steering wheel for 30s before needing to mash on the wheel.

Anyone else noticed a big difference with 2021.24.10?

Mike
I've noticed a slight change on my 2021.24.5

I was caught off-guard once when it started beeping at me and turning off the autopilot because it didn't detect my hand. I was really surprised because it wasn't that long. Oh well.

And what... let GM's SuperCruise win? I think NOT! 🤓

If they're going to use the cabin camera to judge driver attentiveness, then USE IT! The only reason you have to nudge the wheel is that before activating the cabin camera, they had no other way to discern whether or not you were still paying attention. They obviously don't care whether or not your hands are on the wheel if you can cancel the message by just clicking a scroll wheel: all you are doing is saying "Yeah, I'm still here"... every 10 seconds.

Mike
except don't you have to touch the wheel to move the scroll wheel?

My experience with 2021.24.10 on a 2018 Model 3 with HW3.

More nags, but I didn't find it all that bothersome. My Model 3 has always had a stubborn torque sensor, and having more nags just made it easier to test different ways of holding it.

Finally got my first phantom braking event that wasn't maps related in a quite awhile. It was a overhead bridge that I just happened upon when there wasn't anyone in front of me. Took me by total surprise.

The streaming music issue seems to have been fixed either with this update or something server side. In any case I could finally go on a long journey without a song skipping to another song a quarter of the way through.

The battery conditioning for an upcoming supercharger is completely broken. It told me it was preconditioning 60+miles away from it. Then at 40 miles it turned off before being turned back on at 15 miles.

At the hotel they mentioned it had 50+ sentry warning in their parking garage. Now I don't know what they have going on down there, but I guess I'll have to review the footage to see. I'll be really disappointed if I don't see some Gargoyles.
RWD? It's pretty normal for preconditioning to turn on 60+ miles away because the RWD car can't really heat the battery much while driving. AWD/P vehicles will use one motor to move, and one motor to warm up the battery. Can't do that with just one motor, so they squeeze a little bit of heating out of the in use motor. And preconditioning turns off the battery cooling until the battery is warm.. that does more than the heat from the motor I think.

I've also noticed that sometimes the "preconditioning" notice goes away, but based upon ScanMyTesla readings the car is still warming up the battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.