Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021.24.28 Rolling out to MCU1/FSD MS/X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2017 MS with MCU1/FSD

First significant firmware update in over a year!

Old firmware 2020.48.37.8 (0.6% of TeslaFi Fleet AWT upgrade)
New firmware 2021.24.28 (0.4% of TeslaFi Fleet running this version)

Guessing no FSD Beta access but I'm 6 months closer than 2020.48. Lol.

1644965828566.png

I h

Stop going to Tesla service center people Tesla told me I need a 20k battery replacement that was not true I took it to a 3rd party Tesla service they downgrade my software and now I charge fast and my battery charge to full with only 5% Degradation. The technician told me tesla adds a file to gimp the older cars range and even when we take it to them they tell us they want 20k for a new battery this is all a lie, I can no longer update my software and this only works on mcu1 computers
Would love to see some actual evidence of this.

If corroborated, this is a BIG deal.

Now this is the downgrade did a battery check and guess what the battery tested good 3% Degradation I posted the navigation not work because your no longer showing up on tesla but you can still supercharge if your car has free supercharging for life !! And the navigation will be fix this week its just takes all day to load took about 3 hr for the downgrade

Attachments

• 20220627_170244.jpg
    20220627_170244.jpg
    262.5 KB · Views: 122
  • 20220627_164701.jpg
    20220627_164701.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 105
  • 20220627_164635.jpg
    20220627_164635.jpg
    270.7 KB · Views: 119
Now that we nipped this in a bud I told everyone on her that this is a driving computer and tesla is full of bs at them sc and are milking people I definitely love this car and will never sell it but they will never get they hands on my car ever a again and they are capping model s batteries!!

Now that we nipped this in a bud I told everyone on her that this is a driving computer and tesla is full of bs at them sc and are milking people I definitely love this car and will never sell it but they will never get they hands on my car ever a again and they are capping model s batteries!!
Thanks for the addtional info but what if Tesla added detection checks or additional diagnostics in the newer firmware and that is what is causing the error you were seeing?

Let's say the v9 (2018.50.6) firmware is dumb and can't detect a module going bad and you are driving down the road and the car just shuts down and you pull over to the side of the ride and you are stranded, would you be mad at yourself for "hacking" the car and putting on old firmware or would you blame Tesla for the unexpected shutdown and ruining your day even though the newer firmware told you of an issue days/weeks/months in advance?

Thanks for the addtional info but what if Tesla added detection checks or additional diagnostics in the newer firmware and that is what is causing the error you were seeing?
There was, in fact, an update in 2019 that was intended to prevent battery fires, and most of the impact was specific to the 85 kWh battery pack. To the extent that the regression could be rolled back, it was, and that happened a while back, but it was not fully rolled back, and for good reason. By continuing to run your car on an old 2018 firmware that capped the cells at 4.2 volts instead of 4.07 for three additional years, every time you charged to 100% you likely did significant permanent damage to the pack.

So I'm sorry to tell you this, but if recent OS releases are reducing the maximum capacity of your pack, then the Tesla service center was probably correct. One section of your pack has likely developed unacceptable levels of dendritic growth, and if you continue using it in that state, your car could spontaneously catch fire. This is a safety issue. Don't keep driving it in that state.

Thanks for sharing this information you people smh.... i will not be posting anymore information on this situation this was for people in the same situation I was in and after providing the information that showed this can be done you still have bad things to say?? I'm going to enjoy this car and I'll will not be posting anymore

If by degradation, you mean loss of range, that's an invalid way to determine degradation, particularly right after downgrading your firmware.

The battery capacity estimation is performed by the battery management system, and that would likely have to be completely reset for a firmware downgrade to work correctly. So it will probably take many, many complete charge cycles before it actually knows the battery's true capacity.

Also, the loss of capacity in miles is not a proper measurement of battery degradation anyway. That's just a rough estimation of capacity, which likely is just a combination of the initial capacity loss (caused by a reaction between the electrolyte and the anode when a battery is brand new), and current loss caused by cells failing.

But Lithium ion cells fail in two other ways:
  • Dendrite formation — whiskers of elemental lithium that create shorts in parts of the battery.
  • Internal resistance increases over time.
Both of these can be responsible for batteries suddenly failing to produce the expected amount of current when a battery gets below a certain state of charge, resulting in sudden shutdowns.

More importantly, both of these can be detected by sudden changes in the battery's voltage, but neither can necessarily be detected on a continuous basis. You'll only see the sudden voltage change when the battery is at just the right state of charge, and not every time.

By blowing out the BMS's memory, your car now has no idea what potentially dangerous events have occurred during the battery's life.

It also has no idea how low the battery can safely get before it suddenly loses power. So you could get down to 50 miles and your car could just plain stop on the side of the road because of either of the problems mentioned above.

So again, I am firmly of the opinion that you should take the car and its battery to a real repair shop that knows what they are doing, and let them pull out the battery pack and run each subpack through multiple charge-discharge cycles to exercise the cells and determine whether they are, in fact, performing as expected or, as I suspect, one subpack is in a state that could potentially be dangerous, either because of fire risk or sudden shutdown risk.

Ignoring warnings from the battery management system is a very, very bad idea, particularly if those warnings are telling you that charging capacity is reduced. It is possible that the problem could have been a software bug, but unlikely. And it is possible that a full charge cycle could clear such an error, but again, unlikely. More than likely, you've made a dangerous situation even worse by allowing the car to charge to a maximum charge voltage that was arguably unsafe to begin with (hence batterygate) while clearing out the BMS memory that would have allowed it to remember which subpack is faulty and avoid excessively stressing it.

Whatever you do, don't charge your car in your garage or carport going forwards. If your insurance company finds out you downgraded the car's firmware to avoid a BMS warning about the safety of the battery, they may not pay out if your car catches fire. I'm just being blunt here. I worry about having 50 watt-hour laptop batteries in that state, much less an 85 kWh battery.

Anyone know if this disables radar? I know it's coming, and I'd like to avoid it until the camera only option works better...which will probably be never.
I would not expect them to do that in what appears to be a catch-up update for MCU1. They already have a group of test cars running experimental vision-only stacks as part of the FSD Beta. I would expect them to unify the city and highway driving stacks first, allowing FSD Beta 11 to prove that vision-only is good enough to roll out without the extra limitations that are currently in place for vision-only cars. Then, they will roll out that updated FSD-based version of highway autopilot more broadly, and the vision-only behavior will come with it.

Let's say the v9 (2018.50.6) firmware is dumb and can't detect a module going bad and you are driving down the road and the car just shuts down and you pull over to the side of the ride and you are stranded, would you be mad at yourself for "hacking" the car and putting on old firmware or would you blame Tesla for the unexpected shutdown and ruining your day even though the newer firmware told you of an issue days/weeks/months in advance?
It would have been nice "if Tesla added detection checks or additional diagnostics in the newer firmware" during the warranty period. But that would have been expensive for them. :) No fun doing that.

You could try this, I heard it does a deeper level of restart and you can hear some clicking of switches when you do it...

Go into the maint menu and change your tire size to something you don't have (for example if you have 19" tires, change it to 21"). then the car will reboot and you will hear some clicking and it will takes a few minutes. Once it come back online switch the tires back to the correct size and you will hear some clicking again and it will reboot in a few minutes. Maybe that will fix your issue?

Also, if you don't already clear out your recent navigation results you might want to remove all the old ones you don't use anymore (Link)
This solution just worked for me! Out of nowhere this morning & unrelated to any software/map update, my nav could not find a route to any address. I would get "Calculating route" and then "Still calculating", and then after a few minutes of the spinning wheel it would just stop trying to navigate altogether and return to the basic map view. Changed my rim size and waited for the system reboot, then changed it back and waited for the reboot again, and the problem is solved. Thanks @BrownOuttaSpec.

Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec