Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021.24.28 Rolling out to MCU1/FSD MS/X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2017 MS with MCU1/FSD

First significant firmware update in over a year!

Old firmware 2020.48.37.8 (0.6% of TeslaFi Fleet AWT upgrade)
New firmware 2021.24.28 (0.4% of TeslaFi Fleet running this version)

Guessing no FSD Beta access but I'm 6 months closer than 2020.48. Lol.

1644965828566.png

I h

Web browser still sucks with this update in my P85D MCU1 model S. Still unusable.
Yes, I actually took mine to be repaired for that problem, and when I got it back, it was working again. And within a week after that, it was nonfunctional again. Tesla must know that MCU1 firmware is broken beyond repair. But they don't seem to care.

And then, there's the map, where a repaint is measured in minutes.

I haven't seen a computer this slow since the 68k era.

Reactions: mike_j and plumazul
You could try this, I heard it does a deeper level of restart and you can hear some clicking of switches when you do it...

Go into the maint menu and change your tire size to something you don't have (for example if you have 19" tires, change it to 21"). then the car will reboot and you will hear some clicking and it will takes a few minutes. Once it come back online switch the tires back to the correct size and you will hear some clicking again and it will reboot in a few minutes. Maybe that will fix your issue?

Also, if you don't already clear out your recent navigation results you might want to remove all the old ones you don't use anymore (Link)
OK, I am surprised. Weirdly, this procedure seems to have worked. It did take about 20 minutes for the process and the car rebooted at least 7 times in the process (I lost count), but it does seem to have solved the problem--at least as of yesterday. I haven't driven yet today so can't be sure it still works after the car went to sleep.

Man, I wish they would learn how to do QA for their software (or at least Beta testing...). This (and the lack of a radio and the yoke) are what will keep me from replacing this car with another Tesla when it is time for the next car...

My '17 S MCU1 was on 2020.48.37.8 before I was notified about this update earlier this week, and I had been putting it off since I had the MCU2 upgrade scheduled. Eventually this appeared on my screen after a few days of dismissing the software upgrade.

I'm surprised this isn't mentioned in the release notes.

IMG_1927.JPG

Reactions: Wanderer
Man, I wish they would learn how to do QA for their software (or at least Beta testing...). This (and the lack of a radio and the yoke) are what will keep me from replacing this car with another Tesla when it is time for the next car...
Hey, WE are the beta testers. You can add more to that list of deal breakers.

No more sunroof
No high power AC charging option
Nasty paint
Horrible service
Extremely limited interior configurations, etc.

I’ve already given up on Tesla. As much as I like my car, after this incredible FSD fiasco, I no longer trust the company.

Reactions: teacher
I’m anxious about installing the latest update because I’m not convinced the new eMMC is stable. Has anyone pursued a “lemon law” claim about these “defective” 8GB eMMC?
Havent tried the lemon law, but I am also wondering about the stability of the new eMMC. I had mine upgraded a few months ago on my 2016 Model S but currently keep on having problems with maps just not refreshing. I can still route, but most of the time, the map either only shows a blue line on a gray background or an extremely pixelated, illegible, version of the map.

Havent tried the lemon law, but I am also wondering about the stability of the new eMMC. I had mine upgraded a few months ago on my 2016 Model S but currently keep on having problems with maps just not refreshing. I can still route, but most of the time, the map either only shows a blue line on a gray background or an extremely pixelated, illegible, version of the map.
The software for the MCU1 is making the Tegra CPU struggle. One could argue that the Tegra has enough power to draw the map if they put the time into optimizing it. Tesla should just roll them back to the most stable version and get rid of all the unusuable junks like the browser if they can't make it work.
But hey, the Model 3 AMD Ryzen crashed and rebooted yesterday when I was watching youtube. With the AMD Ryzen, the browser and apps are still slow like a 10 years old tablet. Seriously, $100 Amazon Kindle Tablet with lowend SoC can load the web pages much much faster.

So I updated my car and now it's telling me maximum battery charge level reduced how do I rollback this update I've only had the car for 2 weeks the last update 2021.24.27 fix this msg now I'm stuck on 2021.24.28 with reduced charge I'm freaking out

So I updated my car and now it's telling me maximum battery charge level reduced how do I rollback this update I've only had the car for 2 weeks the last update 2021.24.27 fix this msg now I'm stuck on 2021.24.28 with reduced charge I'm freaking out
that is a BMS error take it to a SC asap you will probably get a new (remanufactured) HV battery depending what year you car is under warranty

Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
does it still have the error message or any error messages? what I meant by SC is Service Center. what year and battery size is your car?
Oh sorry about that I was thinking you Meaning super charging I have 2013 p85+ with m 88k miles I have a service appointment on March 10 the error message is BSM_u029, what's crazy is 2021.24.27 fixed this issue last month I'm new to tesla updates so when I seen 2021.24.28 I jumped on it and now I wish I hadn't its a complete software problem. I hope they fix this soon I've only had the car going on 2 months the car is amazing best buy in a long time and if the next update fix this I will never update again!

oh snap... that's going to be a $20k bill... something nefarious seems afoot - fair chance the guy who sold you the car had a heads up or just had remarkable luck
Omg! I hope I get an update again that will fix this I paid 40k for the car I am down and out if this doesn't get fixed in a software update pray for me wow that update was a big mistake

It’s not the software, it’s the battery.
I would think that's true but I was told over the phone by tesla service person that it would be fixed in my next update 4 weeks again and in 2021.24.27 the problem was completely fix I uploaded Friday to 2021.24.28 and now this problem so I don't think it's the battery my car only has 88k miles it takes far more miles for it to be the battery I hope...

FWIW- this update 2021.24.28 may have fixed an issue I've been having since before the eMMc memory failed- MCU lock ups when in Camp Mode. The MCU was crashing every time we entered Camp Mode with the HVAC- it crashed at exactly the time the "campfire scene" was supposed to appear. This has been driving me nuts for months- Service just told me to upgrade to MCU2 or live with it. as they were not going to fix it. Well, for the first time in over a year, I finally got to use Camp mode - Funny we have more than one AP1 Model S and only one of them had this issue - Hopefully, this fixes it for good. Now if the random AP errors go away- It will be livable to not upgrade to MCU2. Since we use SirrusXM- that is a 2K expense I wasn't looking forward to.
FWIW- Service replaced my AP1 Camera Friday- that seems to have fixed the random AP errors. so my 2015 is now working the same as my wife's 2014! Yay!

Yeah as far as I can tell, the change remains limited to the inability to pull up release notes and the front display booting each time I get in the car now. Phantom braking still here with a vengeance. I also get the occasional streaming song skipped in the middle, but I got that before as well. I haven't even bothered with the browser since I can pull anything up on my phone quicker than i can even get the browser to load in the car. Otherwise still feels about the same or slightly worse. I just had the eMMC recall done, I was hoping at least that would help a bit.

Also a new app update is available, likewise I see no change there (but that may be due to my car's vintage)