Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021.24.28 Rolling out to MCU1/FSD MS/X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2017 MS with MCU1/FSD

First significant firmware update in over a year!

Old firmware 2020.48.37.8 (0.6% of TeslaFi Fleet AWT upgrade)
New firmware 2021.24.28 (0.4% of TeslaFi Fleet running this version)

Guessing no FSD Beta access but I'm 6 months closer than 2020.48. Lol.

1644965828566.png

I h

add my name to the list of the browser actually works now and putting a destination in the NAV is now MUCH faster when it does the routing. Obviously i hope this behaviour sticks around.
Occasionally, I'll install a software update, and release notes will come up instantly, browser-based features will be snappy and responsive, etc. for a few days... before going back to being nearly nonfunctional. The problem is, it never stays fixed no matter what you do.

Reactions: dbldwn02
Well, I spoke too soon- today when we returned to the car after going into a store the MCU was black- and I had to reboot it to get the car to even turn on had the "Please wait " message on the IC- afterwards I had two errors one "Center Display can't communicate" and another "Autopilot features unavailable " The 2nd reboot ( thumb wheels and brake pedal) cleared the AP error, but the Center display error was still there- Powered the car down, Left it and came back, still have the error- I just scheduled service ( hopefully I don't actually have to go in) to get the error cleared - I still wonder if my MCU has a eMMc problem still even though it was replaced
This sounds related to the failure I had the other day, where the instrument cluster went black and Autopilot simultaneously disengaged. They either have a serious networking driver bug or they finally bogged the MCU CPU down so badly that it can't even tickle the watchdog timer often enough to keep other parts of the car from freaking out.

Either way, the current state of these cars is a serious safety issue, and I just filed a NHTSA complaint. I would encourage others to do the same.

This sounds related to the failure I had the other day, where the instrument cluster went black and Autopilot simultaneously disengaged. They either have a serious networking driver bug or they finally bogged the MCU CPU down so badly that it can't even tickle the watchdog timer often enough to keep other parts of the car from freaking out.

Either way, the current state of these cars is a serious safety issue, and I just filed a NHTSA complaint. I would encourage others to do the same.
FWIW- They rescheduled my service appointment from today till the 9th so they could do more remote troubleshooting. We had the MCU crash a couple of more times on a long drive last week- It's not crashed in the last 5 days, although we've only driven it about 50 miles in the last 5 days vs 1700 in the previous week

Not impressed. Slacker has not played a complete song to the end since this “upgrade”. Stops early. Starts the next.
Shortly after posting the above Slacker resumed playing complete songs.

But now I can’t seem to keep a small music panel at the bottom of the screen above the fixed control panel. Totally disappeared when I return to the car. Reopen Music to a large panel, drag it down to the small size, leave the car and return, no music panel. Music resumes playing as expected just no display.

I had a particularly bad experience last night. While exiting at Lawrence Expressway from 101, my instrument cluster computer started showing "Take over immediately" with warning beeps, but Autopilot did not disengage. I had to force it out of Autopilot mode. A few seconds later, the IC rebooted, and when I tried to reengage Autopilot, I got another "Take over immediately" from the main screen while the IC was rebooting.

And this can't be a data problem. I did a complete factory reset Wednesday night when I got home (which at least temporarily fixed the browser, but probably not for long).

This release is really seriously broken and should never have shipped. I've only seen the IC crash prior to this maybe twice in 4.5 years, versus three crashes out of roughly four driving days.

Also navigation maps currently going from EU-2019.21-12489 to EU-2021.8-12875 (only 1 year out-of-date better than 2.5 I guess).

20220305_182128_HDR.jpg

Holding off on a hard restart until that’s done. Also have MCU2/DAB+ upgrade soon, so 9 days to evaluate this as limited warranty ends (original eMMC).

Last edited:
My browser is still usable. Some pages took forever to load but I'm thinking that was more of a data connection as simple pages like song lyrics and such loaded fairly quickly (for the Tesla browser, that is).

Updated to this build overnight, and my backup camera stopped working completely - just black is shown. 2016 refresh S75, MCU1, AP1. Have done the scroll wheel reset but nothing else yet.

Anyone had similar problems/resolution for this? I have an SC appointment in 2 weeks for unrelated stuff and have messaged them about this now too, lets see what they say...

Since the new firmware, my 2016 MS MCU1 with AP3 now automatically initiates cruise control without me touching any buttons! It's done it every morning when driving to work.
You mean it starts the CC? It starts cruising?

Or do you mean the CC remains on and ready to be engaged between drives? That is how my pre-AP 2013 has always behaved. One with the old Mercedes-Benz steering column.

Because of the poor reports I am holding off installing this version. It doesn't seem to add anything, with too much risk.

However... I previously had the eMMC recall replacement board done, which moved me to LTE wireless. Which it always displayed since then. I was wary if the AT&T 3G change would require me to install this software version, but didn't think so since I was on LTE anyway. Well, this week I now see that instead of displaying LTE it now shows 3G with one bar. It does work (I see the traffic, TuneIn works, and occasionally the browser works if parked). Has anyone else seen this behavior?

I have now driven with this version about three weeks and almost all seems to be fine. The installation and upgrade ended fine, which I was most afraid off. And it performs well, although it‘s still downloading new maps. Funny, all functions on the GPS have nothing wrong.
Interesting part now is that it appears that this new version allows it to be driven without driver (no help from Autosteer), automatic parking brake just does not apply if you open the drivers door and unbuckle the seatbelt and lift you butt off the seat. Basically the driver can get out and the car keeps driving as none of the previously existed safety constraints never comes on! The car does stops if the drivers door will be closed, but until that it is missing the actions that have been there previously. I have only tested this on very low speeds, below 10km/h but this has not been possible to do previously. It only happens if driving forward, trying to do this in reverse will act like it should. I have not dared to test it above that speed.
Does anyone know how to contact Tesla about this?

I'm continuing to see serious problems with this release. The MCU freezes randomly for half a minute at a time, during which it is completely unresponsive to touch events, window controls do not operate, autopilot chimes do not sound, etc. It eventually goes back to normal as if nothing went wrong (no reboot, for example). These failures started right after this update.

I found this version has great improvement on my car's ( 2017 modelx with MCU1 and AP3.0 ) vampire drain, it used to loss 7-10km per day (with all power consuming options off, say temperature control, uncheck always on connection , no 3rd party tesla app installed etc), now it only drops 1-2km per day. Vampire drain is the most annoying thing with my car in the past 6 month, it was solved by this update 2021.24.28, amazing.

I found this version has great improvement on my car's ( 2017 modelx with MCU1 and AP3.0 ) vampire drain, it used to loss 7-10km per day (with all power consuming options off, say temperature control, uncheck always on connection , no 3rd party tesla app installed etc), now it only drops 1-2km per day. Vampire drain is the most annoying thing with my car in the past 6 month, it was solved by this update 2021.24.28, amazing.
Or perhaps it’s just that winter ended???