Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021.32.22 Autopilot worse than driving without it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2021.32.22 drives WORSE when I engage autopilot. It tells me I'm over my lane when I'm not, I couldn't take a curved road and when it got to a roundabout (Jones Beach NY water tower) it wanted to stop like it was hitting a red light. 3 times autopilot disengaged THREE times as I went over the Robert Moses Causeway over the Great South Bay. Just would crap out when I was doing anything. And where is this insurance driving score on the app?

Unfortunately I had the same experience today. Winding road that I usually take and autopilot didn't slow down like it used to, actually threw up a collision warning. I always am ready to take over so it was fine, but between that and the USB error I'm not thrilled. And I am not seeing the driving record in the app, although I have Android.

Reactions: markn455
Unfortunately I had the same experience today. Winding road that I usually take and autopilot didn't slow down like it used to, actually threw up a collision warning. I always am ready to take over so it was fine, but between that and the USB error I'm not thrilled. And I am not seeing the driving record in the app, although I have Android.

For Android, you have to look under Safety Score on the 4.1.0-663 version of the Tesla app. You also need to take a drive after installing this version for your score to come up.

I couldn't take a curved road and when it got to a roundabout (Jones Beach NY water tower) it wanted to stop like it was hitting a red light. 3 times autopilot disengaged THREE times as I went over the Robert Moses Causeway over the Great South Bay. Just would crap out when I was doing anything. And where is this insurance driving score on the app?

The roundabout (Jones Beach water tower) is what FSD is for NOT autopilot. As for “curved roads” Autopilot will not do angle that’s greater than a 30 degree angle (a gain you’ll need FSD for such curves) I drive on the Southern State and MeadowBrook a lot and autopilot has yet to disengaged on me.

Lastly, you need the latest version of the as of today 4.1 to see your score (that’s if you have FSD and have pressed the button)

For Android, you have to look under Safety Score on the 4.1.0-663 version of the Tesla app. You also need to take a drive after installing this version for your score to come up.
Gotcha. I actually just saw this on another thread, too. I'm considering loading it via apk, but some of the grief I'm seeing about scores being impacted by random driving events, maybe I'm better off just not knowing! 😆

Reactions: ModLTh3
32.22 is much worse on AP than 24.11 was.
It wanders around in the lane, heads for side exist. Even worse is that FCW is much more prone to false positives.
When I leave the house I drive out on a two lane road that meanders left/right, previous AP would occasionally give FCW warnings but every change from left to right and back again now gives a FCW.
What sucks is that this crappy FCW system is what the "safety rating" is using.

32.22 is much worse on AP than 24.11 was.
It wanders around in the lane, heads for side exist. Even worse is that FCW is much more prone to false positives.
When I leave the house I drive out on a two lane road that meanders left/right, previous AP would occasionally give FCW warnings but every change from left to right and back again now gives a FCW.
What sucks is that this crappy FCW system is what the "safety rating" is using.
See if your paying attention maybe

Agreed, I'm on 32.21 and the first intersection I went through, which for some unknown reason it swerves slightly always as it enters, like it thinks it needs to center on the intersection with no lines on the right side, especially in the left/right far lanes of a 3 lane intersection. I was in the far right lane, and the car makes a drastic swerve towards something to the right thinking it maybe needs to center itself, when the lines (which obviously mean nothing drawn next to the car) show you need to keep going forward. Then it swerves back right as I'm about to manually force a disengagement. A few times on curves on the same road, 6 lane hwy, divided, the car could barely keep in the lane while trying to maintain the sweeping curve. Sketchy and dangerous to say the least especially big arse trucks and vehicles literally a few feet away. Yeah, I know, Auto steer is Beta. But we are supposed to be moving forward and getting better, not going backwards and getting more dangerous and sketchy.

Don't even want to start with FSD and it's issues and no update to .22. Us May-July Vision M3 owners have gotten shafted with updates and now bad AP with this update.

Sounds like .22 is no better. Hopefully, it is just some calibration thing after the update and it will get better and stop the madness.

• Helpful
Reactions: Twiglett
found a new one today - this is comparing 24.11/12 to 32.22
Driving along a road that was previously confident and solid.
Passing a driveway where the solid white line on the right breaks - car now makes a disconcerting lurch to the gap before figuring it out.
Same happens for junctions where there is a line break, except the lurch is more pronounced.

Several corners that were previously smooth and confidence inspiring are now jerky learner driver level cornering.

Something took a step backwards.
This same thing happened going from 4.15 to 4.18 when they tested the new neural nets, 4.15 was sublime and 4.18 terrible in comparison, thankfully that didn't last long.

I’m currently on a road trip in my 2018 Model S running 2021.32.20, and I haven’t noticed any new AP issues. Did any of you who are seeing these issues in 32.22 upgrade from an earlier 32.x build that did not have the issues?

I actually have an update pending but I haven’t had access to WiFi on the trip. Even if I could download the update, I’d probably hold off given the problems people are reporting. I don’t know which version is waiting to download -- the app doesn’t tell me, but maybe the Controls > Software screen does.

The roundabout (Jones Beach water tower) is what FSD is for NOT autopilot. As for “curved roads” Autopilot will not do angle that’s greater than a 30 degree angle (a gain you’ll need FSD for such curves) I drive on the Southern State and MeadowBrook a lot and autopilot has yet to disengaged on me.

Lastly, you need the latest version of the as of today 4.1 to see your score (that’s if you have FSD and have pressed the button)
I wasn't trying to do the roundabout. I was in the rightmost lane to take me onto the Wantagh Parkway

I wasn't trying to do the roundabout. I was in the rightmost lane to take me onto the Wantagh Parkway
AutoPilot will not make this curve highlighted in red for you. You will need FSD for that!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-12 at 9.47.25 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-12 at 9.47.25 AM.png
    331.9 KB · Views: 82
Reactions: Jeremy3292
Glad to see I'm not the only one wondering why this version made me feel like my cameras were dirty or something was seriously wrong with the AP system.

I also keep having "Cruise Control Unavailable" which others users have also reported on this version. AP will not work for the whole drive and won't come back after a reset, etc. Have to physically park the car and get out for a few mins and then it will start working again.

Glad to see I'm not the only one wondering why this version made me feel like my cameras were dirty or something was seriously wrong with the AP system.

I also keep having "Cruise Control Unavailable" which others users have also reported on this version. AP will not work for the whole drive and won't come back after a reset, etc. Have to physically park the car and get out for a few mins and then it will start working again.
Just got the “Cruise Control Unavailable“ message for the second time now on this version… I am still waiting for the next round of FSD releases (99%) to happen so I guess we will be stuck on this version until we get it, or they stop letting people into the beta…