Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021.32.22 - No FSD Beta button

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not getting the FSD Beta button on my 2021 Model 3 w/FSD package after receiving the 2021.32.22 update. Initially after updating, the release notes said only that there were bug fixes, and various Autopilot features were disabled with a note that they are not available in my region (I’m in the Chicago suburbs). They had worked fine before the update. I drove around a bit and the Autopilot features came back, but still no FSD beta button. I did a power off under Safety and Security, and now the release notes describe the FSD beta button, but it still does not appear in the Autopilot menu. I scheduled service but the first available date is a week out.

Anyone have any ideas? Thx

Autopilot features require some initial calibration, which the car does when you drive it. If your system was somehow accidentally reset, then it will require recalibration. IIRC, Autopilot becomes available before Navigate on Autopilot, so it's conceivable that the FSD Beta "button" would take longer to appear, too. If so, driving some more should make it available. When I had my FSD computer upgraded a few months ago, I had to go through this recalibration process, and I seem to recall there being a progress bar buried somewhere in one of the menus, so you might go looking for that.

Upvote 0
I am not getting the FSD Beta button on my 2021 Model 3 w/FSD package after receiving the 2021.32.22 update. Initially after updating, the release notes said only that there were bug fixes, and various Autopilot features were disabled with a note that they are not available in my region (I’m in the Chicago suburbs). They had worked fine before the update. I drove around a bit and the Autopilot features came back, but still no FSD beta button. I did a power off under Safety and Security, and now the release notes describe the FSD beta button, but it still does not appear in the Autopilot menu. I scheduled service but the first available date is a week out.

Anyone have any ideas? Thx
It’s at the top of the autopilot screen. I found it a little hard to find at first.

Upvote 0
I am In a similar situation to you PEEBS. I live in the west Chicago suburbs and have not received the FSD button on my 2017 100D model X. I haven’t had any issues with my FSD up to this point. Tesla upgraded my computer this summer. I have no clue why the car hasn’t received the button? I went into the app and it says my car has all the software upgrades, current version (2020.48.37.6), strange. Good luck with figuring out this problem.

• Disagree
Reactions: mark95476
Upvote 0
I am In a similar situation to you PEEBS. I live in the west Chicago suburbs and have not received the FSD button on my 2017 100D model X. I haven’t had any issues with my FSD up to this point. Tesla upgraded my computer this summer. I have no clue why the car hasn’t received the button? I went into the app and it says my car has all the software upgrades, current version (2020.48.37.6), strange. Good luck with figuring out this problem.
You have have an old software version in your car. To improve your chances of getting updates, park where you have both cellular and WiFi coverage, and set the software update setting on the Controls > Software screen to Advanced.

Upvote 0
You have have an old software version in your car. To improve your chances of getting updates, park where you have both cellular and WiFi coverage, and set the software update setting on the Controls > Software screen to Advanced.
The car is parked in my garage and gets a very strong signal from my home WiFi. The car has been set exactly the way you said for ages. I reset the computer and still nothing. Just frustrating after all this waiting to just have this issue. Thanks for your input. Hopefully I can figure this out soon.

Upvote 0
The car is parked in my garage and gets a very strong signal from my home WiFi. The car has been set exactly the way you said for ages. I reset the computer and still nothing. Just frustrating after all this waiting to just have this issue. Thanks for your input. Hopefully I can figure this out soon.
Do you have MCU1 or MCU2? MCU1 with HW3 cars are not getting any updates yet.
If you had your car upgraded to MCU2, open a support case and tell them that you’re stuck on an old FW.

Upvote 0
So you have good cellular coverage too? You didn’t say.

Upvote 0
If you had your car upgraded to MCU2, open a support case and tell them that you’re stuck on an old FW.
I had the computer upgraded to the latest FSD computer in July of this year. I do have an update from Tesla. I went to Tesla service today to schedule a air filter change and to fix a trim piece over the wheel (front passenger side). they actually had an opening and the car went straight in. I told them about the update issue and after lots of back and forth it ended up my car is not currently available for the FSD button request. They said the FSD button isn’t going to all cars, mine is not included. They actually said that my current 2020.48.37.6 is the latest current version. This really does not sit well with me. I have a new Plaid model X and and my wife has a new X long range on order. May be time to cancel these and try something else. We had a 2016 S P100D we bought at the end of 2016, then the current 2017 100D model X. The same thing happened with both cars. When a new model came out with newer tech these cars got pushed WAY down the the list for updates. So, early in and support gets you pushed to the back of the line. Service couldn’t even give me any idea or locate any info on when my car will be able to even request the FSD button. Good luck to anyone else having this issue.

Upvote 0

I had the computer upgraded to the latest FSD computer in July of this year. I do have an update from Tesla. I went to Tesla service today to schedule a air filter change and to fix a trim piece over the wheel (front passenger side). they actually had an opening and the car went straight in. I told them about the update issue and after lots of back and forth it ended up my car is not currently available for the FSD button request. They said the FSD button isn’t going to all cars, mine is not included. They actually said that my current 2020.48.37.6 is the latest current version. This really does not sit well with me. I have a new Plaid model X and and my wife has a new X long range on order. May be time to cancel these and try something else. We had a 2016 S P100D we bought at the end of 2016, then the current 2017 100D model X. The same thing happened with both cars. When a new model came out with newer tech these cars got pushed WAY down the the list for updates. So, early in and support gets you pushed to the back of the line. Service couldn’t even give me any idea or locate any info on when my car will be able to even request the FSD button. Good luck to anyone else having this issue.

A2Sirbill, 2020.48.37.6 is the latest release for MCU1 cars which is the one your car came with from factory (2017 100D model X) . If you had the MCU2/HW3 computer upgrade done to your car this July, talk to the SC re being stuck on an old software version; make a point that you have an MCU2 car now. Momo3605 is 100% correct. BTW, FSD button requires 2021.32.22 car software or newer as well as the 4.1+ version of the Tesla app (iOS or Android).

Upvote 0
Like @Sandor mentioned above, seems you are on MCU1. If you’re willing to pay to upgrade to MCU2, you will start getting newer upgrades. Unfortunately it seems you have the old computer.

FSD computer is a different thing btw. You need both MCU2 and FSD computer in order to get the latest upgrades

Upvote 0
Same here, 2017 Model X with FSD purchased, no button. Now I just activated the "Enhanced Autopilot" so maybe I need to drive it around a bit for calibration purposes. I'll take it out later and let everyone know if that was it.

Upvote 0
A2Sirbill, 2020.48.37.6 is the latest release for MCU1 cars which is the one your car came with from factory (2017 100D model X) . If you had the MCU2/HW3 computer upgrade done to your car this July, talk to the SC re being stuck on an old software version; make a point that you have an MCU2 car now. Momo3605 is 100% correct. BTW, FSD button requires 2021.32.22 car software or newer as well as the 4.1+ version of the Tesla app (iOS or Android).
Thanks for your help. I guess I am a little confused. So, it sounds from what Sandro said the computer may still be a MCU1? When we bought the car in Sept, 2017 we were told that if the computer or anything else needed to be upgraded for full self driving Tesla would take care of it. So, we were contacted and told we would need the computer upgraded for full self driving and scheduled a service appt. i didn’t realize there are two different computers. All they said was they would be upgrading the computer to the FSD computer. So, if the car still has a MCU1 computer will it be able to ever handle FSD? Thanks again for everyone input!

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the suggestions on my issue. Driving around more didn’t help, but the service team pushed the update to me again a short while ago and this time it went through with no weird issues and I got the FSD button. So, happily, my issue is resolved. Seems something just went wrong with the update the first time around.

Good luck getting your issue figured out, A2Sirbill.

Upvote 0
PEEBS, Thanks for your original post. Sorry I kinda hijacked it a bit. Glad you are all fixed up on your end. For me it is just frustrating know knowing our car has in a way been pushed to the back of the line. Now with the help of posters in this thread I know I have the MCU1 W/FSD upgrade. Nobody at service can even give us an idea on when MCU1 will be able to get access to the button? So, pay out for the FSD and nobody knows anything about what is happening with the MCU1 cars. It has only been a few days so I shouldn’t get to upset. I am somewhat surprised Tesla hasn’t pushed out a standard statement to the service centers on how, what, why & when for MCU1 owners that have paid for FSD.

Thanks again for your original post. If nothing else thanks to people like Sandor I now know my car technically has two computers. Always nice to learn something new, LOL.

Upvote 1
PEEBS, Thanks for your original post. Sorry I kinda hijacked it a bit. Glad you are all fixed up on your end. For me it is just frustrating know knowing our car has in a way been pushed to the back of the line. Now with the help of posters in this thread I know I have the MCU1 W/FSD upgrade. Nobody at service can even give us an idea on when MCU1 will be able to get access to the button? So, pay out for the FSD and nobody knows anything about what is happening with the MCU1 cars. It has only been a few days so I shouldn’t get to upset. I am somewhat surprised Tesla hasn’t pushed out a standard statement to the service centers on how, what, why & when for MCU1 owners that have paid for FSD.

Thanks again for your original post. If nothing else thanks to people like Sandor I now know my car technically has two computers. Always nice to learn something new, LOL.
Is the current software version on your car 2020.48.3x? Also, I suppose your car says LTE and not 3G. If it says the latter, you might want to read about the LTE upgrade article as AT&T will shutdown 3G on February 2022.

Lastly, if you truly have MCU1 on your car (you can check this by tapping Software then Additional information. If it says NVIDIA Integra, it’s MCU1 anything else is MCU2 or later), you will not receive the button update as the MCU1 computer is not powerful.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don’t think your sc knows anything about software updates. It might just not have been pushed out to your car yet. You bought FSD correct?

Upvote 0