Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021.32.22 Software Update Failed! What to do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Kosmo886

Aug 15, 2020
MA
I got the software update alert this morning and clicked install. It took a while and hung on 30% for a bit then I got another message that said software update ready and clicked that as it seemed like the original install had stopped? Finally I got a software failed message saying something to the effect of wait for the update to be sent to the car again.

Has anyone had this happen before? Would really like this one so I can opt into FSD Beta. Thanks.

I got the software update alert this morning and clicked install. It took a while and hung on 30% for a bit then I got another message that said software update ready and clicked that as it seemed like the original install had stopped? Finally I got a software failed message saying something to the effect of wait for the update to be sent to the car again.

Has anyone had this happen before? Would really like this one so I can opt into FSD Beta. Thanks.

Firmware update failure does happen from time to time. Sometimes you just make sure you are connected to wi-fi and it will prompt you to install again. Sometimes you have to open a Service Center ticket on your app so they can push that prompt to you again.

Reactions: JeffnReno
I’m in the same boat, stuck at 28%. Used up all my mobile hotspot data too. I looked at the logs and have a repeated 450mb download 20 times. It’s in some kind of loop and just keeps downloading, probably internally erroring, and then downloading again. They really need to give people the option to clear a bad partial download so the system can try again fresh.

24 hours after the first update failed, I still don't have a new one pushed. I did the scroll wheel reset a few times and turned the car all the way off and back on yesterday. Still nothing...
safest thing is to open a service request in the app. They may need to reset it and force a reinstall for you.
Thankfully only had that happen once, but they took care of it pretty quickly - and all remotely.

safest thing is to open a service request in the app. They may need to reset it and force a reinstall for you.
Thankfully only had that happen once, but they took care of it pretty quickly - and all remotely.
What sucks is that service isn't open until Monday and might not get to it until mid week, and by then I'll be placed far behind in the back of the queue :'(

My update failed multiple times. Scheduled a mobile appt through the app - got a message back saying that they were able to view my logs and my "issue" was beyond the scope of a mobile service. I'm scheduled for a service appt about two weeks from now. Sigh, but at least the car is fully functional and driveable.

• Disagree
Reactions: T-Mom
My update failed multiple times. Scheduled a mobile appt through the app - got a message back saying that they were able to view my logs and my "issue" was beyond the scope of a mobile service. I'm scheduled for a service appt about two weeks from now. Sigh, but at least the car is fully functional and driveable.
That sucks. I scheduled an appt and never got a message, but my car all of a sudden told me the update is ready to install (and it's not connected to WIFI, so not sure what happened there). I just cancelled the appointment that I had. I hope you get it resolved soon!

That sucks. I scheduled an appt and never got a message, but my car all of a sudden told me the update is ready to install (and it's not connected to WIFI, so not sure what happened there). I just cancelled the appointment that I had. I hope you get it resolved soon!

That happens sometimes when they are able to fix the issue, and remotely push out the software update regardless if you're on Wifi or not. I've had that happen over LTE a few times as well.

Thanks. When I checked my car in for my service appt, they said that my SD card had to be replaced (on a 2020 MXP??). A couple of hours later, they said that they manually pushed the update, and that no hardware replacement was necessary. Odd, but OK.

• Disagree
Reactions: FlyF4