Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021.36.5.3 (Beta 10.3.1) Observations from the North East

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in Massachusetts in the northern Boston suburbs (aka the North Showah). I got fsd beta yesterday and started trying it out today. I get there is no neural nets in this area but this thing is straight banana land. All it seems to do well is drive straight (well so far). In the cars defense the networks of roads around here look like they were drawn by a 2 year old with a crayon. Makes me wonder who the hell drives like this in real life. I had to disengage several times because I was repeatedly receiving the "your numbah one ked" hand gesture. Here's to hoping it gets a lot better quickly (once the neural net gets some more information).

anyways - excited to help make this thing better and will keep plugging along.

Peabody? lucky you living right next to the service center :D

My wife's Model S needed the eMMC replacement so we took 2 cars down to drop it off. My Model 3 did really well on FSD getting to the service center. I was expecting it to struggle in the parking lot region of the mall. I also thought the offramp from 128 would cause issues but really good execution.

Reactions: Runduck
I downloaded 2021.36.5.3 before a roundtrip to the Sierra from Sacramento on Interstate 80. I noticed very little difference in FSD beta from the previous version– except for multiple phantom braking episodes that had not occurred on that drive before. A couple of them were HARD braking that required me to jump on the accelerator. I gotta say I'm disappointed.

Looks like electrik has picked up on the brake check issues. Maybe Tesla will put some priority on the brake check issue. Mine has become unusable due to this.
The chance that Tesla "will put some priority on the brake check issue" because of Electrek is zero.

Surely they know about the issue - they would be getting thousands of reports on it daily. That is the reason they will continue to work on it.

Last edited:
Reactions: nvx1977
Completely agree with @EVNow. Record button needs to be larger and in a better location.

Lots of the behavior everyone has described in center city Philadelphia with the addition of some really aggresive attempts to always be in the center of the street. If there is a wider space on the street due to an open parking space or outdoor dining the car steers hard for it even if it is only wider for 5 feet.

Large, well marked traffic circles/roundabouts like Logan Circle and Eakins Oval are always a challenge of wrong lanes and exits.

I watched a YouTube from Dirty Tesla a couple days ago indicating camera recalibration improved his FSD. I recalibrated my cameras and the phantom braking is significantly improved. Two lane roads I drive daily where I was always getting phantom braking is mostly gone. Only an oncoming car sometimes triggers a short brake, but then goes back to normal quickly.