Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021.36.8 Adds Remote Sentry Live Footage on App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else having extremely poor camera quality? My cellular service is great and I’ve checked it in multiple locations. The video on the in car screen is much, much better than on the app. The app is absolutely dreadful - see pics below.

F0A01967-56DA-4490-9E40-2CFBCA8413B8.jpeg

B95F5A09-35DE-4EFF-B7AE-456EE78F76B7.jpeg

Reactions: Huskyf
Anyone else having extremely poor camera quality? My cellular service is great and I’ve checked it in multiple locations. The video on the in car screen is much, much better than on the app. The app is absolutely dreadful - see pics below.

View attachment 727540
View attachment 727541
From a tech perspective, they may have throttled back the data rate as this is on their dime. I think the purpose (I could be wrong), is to give a good enough visualization. The best quality will be from the flash drive.

From a tech perspective, they may have throttled back the data rate as this is on their dime. I think the purpose (I could be wrong), is to give a good enough visualization. The best quality will be from the flash drive.
No, I completely understand that. But it’s not like it’s just 480p and not HD. Look at those pictures! It’s not even the right colors. It’s a feature you might as well not even have if the quality is unwatchable.

No, I completely understand that. But it’s not like it’s just 480p and not HD. Look at those pictures! It’s not even the right colors. It’s a feature you might as well not even have if the quality is unwatchable.
The camera are RCCB not RGB because they are designed for Autopilot/ FSD. I agree that the images you shared are pixelated, but I am sure the car’s LTE signal wasn’t optimal when you took the screenshot.

Also, I believe that the remote sentry mode is 480p while the cameras are 960p

Reactions: Rmchrger
The camera are RCCB not RGB because they are designed for Autopilot/ FSD. I agree that the images you shared are pixelated, but I am sure the car’s LTE signal wasn’t optimal when you took the screenshot.

Also, I believe that the remote sentry mode is 480p while the cameras are 960p
Look at my screenshot. I have 4 bars of 5G outside in the fresh air with no obstructions. I also streamed HD YouTube TV from my car in the same spot. It’s clearly not a cell service issue. I checked it in other spots as well yesterday and it was also bad then too.

I would love the sentry mode cameras to stream in 480p. That would be great and I wouldn’t complain at all! But clearly I’m streaming in 120p lol.

Good tidbit on the RCCB and not RGB color scheme also btw - thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: Marty3SR+
Not sure I understand the point of this comment. It is objectively very terrible. You are suggesting it will magically get better tomorrow or the next day?
My point is it might improve over time. Magically as you say, No. Has your car not improved with updates before or is that magical? My point was to be patient, its only been 1 day and your already complaining. "Objectively" I could also say some people are never happy with anything, even if its FREE. Someone gets $10 for free and they complain its not $20. Sorry it got your panties all bunched up...
Thumbs down all you want, whatever makes you feel better...I'm done and won't respond further.
Maybe after a few updates and sentry live has "magically" improved a bit. I will look back at this and laugh,
Have a great day.

My point is it might improve over time. Magically as you say, No. Has your car not improved with updates before or is that magical? My point was to be patient, its only been 1 day and your already complaining. "Objectively" I could also say some people are never happy with anything, even if its FREE. Someone gets $10 for free and they complain its not $20. Sorry it got your panties all bunched up...
Thumbs down all you want, whatever makes you feel better...I'm done and won't respond further.
Maybe after a few updates and sentry live has "magically" improved a bit. I will look back at this and laugh,
Have a great day.
Objective criticism is not complaining. The video feed is objectively bad by any standard. I love Tesla as much as anybody else but there are plenty of places where criticism is warranted with Tesla and this is one of them.

Also what is the point of this forum? Is it not to discuss problems, issues, praises, and criticism of Tesla?

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Huskyf and Rmchrger
For the android folks, I was able to get app V 4.2.3-742 from Google Play this morning but no joy on remote sentry viewing yet. Yes, I have 2021.36.8 and it's enabled in the car. Sentry is not enabled when at home, but I turned it on manually with the app to see if I could view it. No joy. Supposedly, all you need is app V 4.2.1. I'll keep playing with it.

For the android folks, I was able to get app V 4.2.3-742 from Google Play this morning but no joy on remote sentry viewing yet. Yes, I have 2021.36.8 and it's enabled in the car. Sentry is not enabled when at home, but I turned it on manually with the app to see if I could view it. No joy. Supposedly, all you need is app V 4.2.1. I'll keep playing with it.
Sighhhhhhh

I received the update on 10/30. Usually, I get updates when I see about 4000 or so have been noted on Teslafi. This time, my update came thru at about 1000. Waa it something I did or said? Nice feature - needs better light sensitivity at night.