Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021.36.8 Adds Remote Sentry Live Footage on App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Look at my screenshot. I have 4 bars of 5G outside in the fresh air with no obstructions. I also streamed HD YouTube TV from my car in the same spot. It’s clearly not a cell service issue. I checked it in other spots as well yesterday and it was also bad then too.

I would love the sentry mode cameras to stream in 480p. That would be great and I wouldn’t complain at all! But clearly I’m streaming in 120p lol.

Good tidbit on the RCCB and not RGB color scheme also btw - thanks
5G is irrelevant, as Tesla doesn't use 5G. The bottleneck is the uplink speeds for the 4G LTE which is on AT&T for Tesla AFAIK. Note uplink speeds will tend to be a fraction of download speeds and is not symmetrical.

Reactions: drtimhill
It seems like Android versions of the Tesla app come about a week after the Iphone version, based on the last few updates.
It's partially true. The Android app has taken a week to be available on Google Play. But it was available on apkmirror (side loading site) the same day as on iOS. Not this time though. Or actually, the 4.2.2 version is available on both platforms, the difference is that they're not having the same feature list this time.

5G is irrelevant, as Tesla doesn't use 5G. The bottleneck is the uplink speeds for the 4G LTE which is on AT&T for Tesla AFAIK. Note uplink speeds will tend to be a fraction of download speeds and is not symmetrical.
The deprecation of 3G (backup to LTE in Teslas) occurs next year. LTE (I guess "long term" is relative) similarly will eventually give way to 5G, so Tesla would be wise to upgrade its radio module.

The deprecation of 3G (backup to LTE in Teslas) occurs next year. LTE (I guess "long term" is relative) similarly will eventually give way to 5G, so Tesla would be wise to upgrade its radio module.
I don't think 4G LTE will phase out anywhere near the same timetable. 2G and 3G had to be phase out because they need to clear out the spectrum for more room for 4G LTE. But the various 5G implementations largely operate on new spectrum so they aren't really competing for the space. Adoption of 5G also seems to be much slower as it doesn't offer nearly as much advantage as the jump from 3G to 4G LTE.

I don't think 4G LTE will phase out anywhere near the same timetable. 2G and 3G had to be phase out because they need to clear out the spectrum for more room for 4G LTE. But the various 5G implementations largely operate on new spectrum so they aren't really competing for the space. Adoption of 5G also seems to be much slower as it doesn't offer nearly as much advantage as the jump from 3G to 4G LTE.
The same issue with LTE bands eventually needed for 5G. From 600MHz to millimeter wave, you're right: 5G is more diverse with respect to spectrum. But data hungry devices and applications of the near future may bring LTE to its knees that would militate the shift to 5G.

Last edited:
I now have live sentry on my Android. I just now got Ver 4.3.0-766 from Google play and it works great. The car is running 2021.36.8. Love it. Woo Hoo!
Yep. Just got the app update as well! Finally have live view!!!! Now, if they can send a notification when something gets close to the car, so we can turn on live view to see what's going on, that would be awesome!

Edit: For those on Android, what carrier and phone are you using? Might help if it's a staged rollout. I'm on Verizon with a Pixel 6 (unlocked Google variant).