Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021.36.8 and lack of support for Android Users

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems as if Tesla prioritizes those that are on iOS devices over those on Android devices. I wonder why? My wife's iPhone works flawlessly with the latest 2021.36.8 update and she can indeed see live cam footage from her phone. Me on the other hand....Nope! My Android device does not support it as of yet. Anyone else a bit upset about this?

meh - I'm betting they found an easy way to do it with iOS that will need more work on Android. No doubt there are features the other way.
The phone apps are on their own independent release cycles so features will appear at different times and often do.

Reactions: Transformer
ios is a closed ecosystem so its easy to implement updates to that platform first.

android (im the biggest android fan ever!) is such a fragmented platform it takes devs a bit longer to make an app properly for the android -verse plus it has to go through googles testing and then the update is released in stages.

i feel your pain about this as well!

It seems as if Tesla prioritizes those that are on iOS devices over those on Android devices. I wonder why? My wife's iPhone works flawlessly with the latest 2021.36.8 update and she can indeed see live cam footage from her phone. Me on the other hand....Nope! My Android device does not support it as of yet. Anyone else a bit upset about this?
It’s always more work to deploy on Android than iOS. Testing alone is an order of magnitude more complex. Developers need to cover a wider range of versions of Android and a wide range of manufacturers tweaks to Android. Lots of conditional code based on version and manufacturer.

Reactions: ItsNotAboutTheMoney

Not just Tesla... You will find any cross brand apps will come out for IOS first for the reasons posted above this. I have always had Android and IOS and IOS cross platform apps almost always come out IOS first. Never seen Android get something before IOS.

Reactions: ModLTh3
It would also be interesting to know what percentage of Tesla owners use iOS vs. Android. If there is a higher percentage of iOS using Tesla owners than Android, I could understand why priority would be given to iOS development. Even though Android has a higher worldwide market share (71%) than iOS, it is a fact that, statistically, iOS users have more disposable income.

PS. I am a Tesla-owning Android user. ;)

Reactions: CSGeekme
Releasing sooner on one platform does not imply priority.

It's common to have separate development teams and separate implementations for Android and iOS apps. Even if they delayed releases until both apps were ready, the two app store approvals differ. Might as well push them out when ready. That way also gets feedback sooner which the other app can benefit from.

It would also be interesting to know what percentage of Tesla owners use iOS vs. Android. If there is a higher percentage of iOS using Tesla owners than Android, I could understand why priority would be given to iOS development. Even though Android has a higher worldwide market share (71%) than iOS, it is a fact that, statistically, iOS users have more disposable income.

In the USA iOS out sells Android 53% to 46% And if you limit it to top tier phones (which is all Apple sells) iOS is even much higher. Someone did a poll once on the forum and most Tesla owners own iPhones.

Here is some data on it.

US Smartphone Market Share: By Quarter: Counterpoint

Not necessarily, it's more of personal preference. The most expensive Android devices cost exactly the same as iPhones. I have a flagship Android device for instance (Galaxy S20 Ultra).

• Funny
Reactions: FOOLSLFDRVNG
Same with Kardashians.
Right. Like I'm going to do or buy something just because the effing Kardashians do or buy something? There is a massive abundance of social media pressure on the masses to do this or do that. I can do my own thinking. I don't need someone else doing it for me. But it's hilarious to sit back and watch the herd of sheep follow.