Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021.36.8 and lack of support for Android Users

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right. Like I'm going to do or buy something just because the effing Kardashians do or buy something? There is a massive abundance of social media pressure on the masses to do this or do that. I can do my own thinking. I don't need someone else doing it for me. But it's hilarious to sit back and watch the herd of sheep follow.
It was a joke.

iPhones were by far the best phones years ago and Apple locked people into their ecosystem early on. These days they are, at best, equal to a flagship phone from Samsung and in many ways still lacking certain hardware that was available on Galaxies years ago (in-screen fingerprint readers, power sharing, etc). When you upgrade an android, you just take the MicroSD out of the old one, put it in the new one and voila! all your pics, music, and videos are transferred instantly. But once you're deeply rooted in the ecosystem its incredibly difficult to get out. I got out early after my 3GS got updated to iOS 5 and became super laggy. But I was into jailbreaking and stuff like that back then and Androids were much easier to play with.

I have an iPhone from work and an Android (as well as iPads) for personal use so I can easily compare the phones and OS's. For all intents and purposes they are the same, they get you on the web, get texts, and make phone calls. But if you have an iPhone and want to switch to android (or vice versa), you'll have to rebuy a lot of apps and have to reload a lot of files.

Many people who upgrade their phones tend to stick with their ecosystem and if you've been buying high end phones for the past decade, you're likely an iPhone user. I would guess, without any data, that most Tesla owners use iPhones. Out of my circle of friends who have Tesla's, about 80% are on iOS.

I know nothing about the app development process, but know there are a lot more variables with Android devices. I could see how Tesla prioritizes iOS over it. That said, I cant wait until I can do Live Sentry with my phone :)

Reactions: rxlawdude
iPhones were by far the best phones years ago and Apple locked people into their ecosystem early on. These days they are, at best, equal to a flagship phone from Samsung and in many ways still lacking certain hardware that was available on Galaxies years ago (in-screen fingerprint readers, power sharing, etc). When you upgrade an android, you just take the MicroSD out of the old one, put it in the new one and voila! all your pics, music, and videos are transferred instantly. But once you're deeply rooted in the ecosystem its incredibly difficult to get out. I got out early after my 3GS got updated to iOS 5 and became super laggy. But I was into jailbreaking and stuff like that back then and Androids were much easier to play with.

I have an iPhone from work and an Android (as well as iPads) for personal use so I can easily compare the phones and OS's. For all intents and purposes they are the same, they get you on the web, get texts, and make phone calls. But if you have an iPhone and want to switch to android (or vice versa), you'll have to rebuy a lot of apps and have to reload a lot of files.

Many people who upgrade their phones tend to stick with their ecosystem and if you've been buying high end phones for the past decade, you're likely an iPhone user. I would guess, without any data, that most Tesla owners use iPhones. Out of my circle of friends who have Tesla's, about 80% are on iOS.

I know nothing about the app development process, but know there are a lot more variables with Android devices. I could see how Tesla prioritizes iOS over it. That said, I cant wait until I can do Live Sentry with my phone :)
It's just easier to develop on Xcode with Swift (the programming language used to create iOS apps) than it is to develop in Android Studio using Kotlin.

Right. Like I'm going to do or buy something just because the effing Kardashians do or buy something? There is a massive abundance of social media pressure on the masses to do this or do that. I can do my own thinking. I don't need someone else doing it for me. But it's hilarious to sit back and watch the herd of sheep follow.

I'm with you. I've always been a bit of a contrarian. I have a 13 pro max sitting in its box. My daily driver is my pixel 6 pro. I can wait for this feature to make its way to Android. I'm used to being the red-headed stepchild. I embrace it. ;)

Green bubbles FTW!

In the USA iOS out sells Android 53% to 46% And if you limit it to top tier phones (which is all Apple sells) iOS is even much higher. Someone did a poll once on the forum and most Tesla owners own iPhones.

Here is some data on it.

US Smartphone Market Share: By Quarter: Counterpoint
Not to start a peeing match, but given a system that intentionally blocks other manufacturers/OS from fully communicating is not one I will EVER voluntarily move to. Apple tends to be a bit (!) dickish in the name of supposed privacy, but anyone with enough neurons to form a synapse knows its for anticompetitive purposes.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: EVNow and CSGeekme
I'm not that happy about this feature, but I'm more unhappy about their general attitude toward the phone app.

There is a feature that used to work fine for Android, but they broke it last update or so. From the app's map showing the location of the car, if you press the top button of three that's supposed to run Google Maps with the current location, it gets an error saying it "Failed to open maps app for directions." It's been confirmed by a few other users, and when I recently got a new Pixel 6, I tried installing only the Tesla app first, and it got the same error.

Do they even know about it? No way to tell, because the email address from the app store is unmonitored, the support chat told me to report it using the phone's service appointment, and that wants me to bring the car to a service center far away. And my wife uses the car for commuting, so I guess they expect her to miss a day at work, all to report a bug in a phone app that has nothing to do with the car. And of course, if I were to do this, I'm sure they'd tell me they know nothing about the phone app, so tough.

If they communicated with the app users, I'm sure they could do a better job with the app, but I don't think they really care. If Elon really has an iPhone, then they probably only care about impressing him.

Reactions: CSGeekme
And here it is finally

Screenshot_20211118-070938_Google Play Store.jpg

I'm not that happy about this feature, but I'm more unhappy about their general attitude toward the phone app.

There is a feature that used to work fine for Android, but they broke it last update or so. From the app's map showing the location of the car, if you press the top button of three that's supposed to run Google Maps with the current location, it gets an error saying it "Failed to open maps app for directions." It's been confirmed by a few other users, and when I recently got a new Pixel 6, I tried installing only the Tesla app first, and it got the same error.

Do they even know about it? No way to tell, because the email address from the app store is unmonitored, the support chat told me to report it using the phone's service appointment, and that wants me to bring the car to a service center far away. And my wife uses the car for commuting, so I guess they expect her to miss a day at work, all to report a bug in a phone app that has nothing to do with the car. And of course, if I were to do this, I'm sure they'd tell me they know nothing about the phone app, so tough.

If they communicated with the app users, I'm sure they could do a better job with the app, but I don't think they really care. If Elon really has an iPhone, then they probably only care about impressing him.
it's still broken in 4.3 I just tried it

I sent an email to customer service with screen shots about how I couldn't set scheduled charge time
and how others had been reporting similar issues in forums
It was reverting to 12:00AM instantly on the previous build, it's still not working on 4.3 but that's another story

Customer service contacted me and said they were unaware of this issue and had looked and online as I had said
and had seen others were having the same issue. They said they were going to pass this issue on to app team

Reactions: Marty3SR+