Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021.36.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are many reasons, some of which are:
  • You want the charge to finish just before you leave so the battery is warm when you leave. (Full regen and more efficient in cold weather.)
  • You want the charging to match the amount of energy generated by your solar system.
  • You want to limit power because of other usage in the house so as not to overload things. (Coordinating charging multiple cars without compatible Tesla Wall Connectors.)
The information is somewhat murky but what I was able to gather is that it is balance between several things:
- Trickle charge is usually better because it keeps the battery cooler. However, too small current may have negative effect on the individual battery anode/cathode.
- When you charge the car is awake and writing logs to the memory. That should have been fixed by now but every flash has a limit.
- Lower currents keep the battery cool, so the car may not use the battery cooling system that has moving parts (pump, compressor).
So, what seems to be optimal, from battery/system longevity POV, is about 24-32A.
(The sources are too many to list here).

I'm pretty certain if you're on the FSD beta button build (32.22) or the actual FSD beta, it hasn't been rolling out to those yet.
Not true anymore. I went from 2021.32.22 (FSD request) to .32.26 (FSD 10.2) to 36.5.2 (FSD 10.3) to 36.5.3 (FSD 10.3.1) and I’m certainly not the only one.

4D3EC258-D28E-4F4D-B110-643D995EC659.jpeg

The information is somewhat murky but what I was able to gather is that it is balance between several things:
- Trickle charge is usually better because it keeps the battery cooler. However, too small current may have negative effect on the individual battery anode/cathode.
- When you charge the car is awake and writing logs to the memory. That should have been fixed by now but every flash has a limit.
- Lower currents keep the battery cool, so the car may not use the battery cooling system that has moving parts (pump, compressor).
So, what seems to be optimal, from battery/system longevity POV, is about 24-32A.
(The sources are too many to list here).
I use the feature to time high-percentage charging (charging to 95% or more SOC) to be complete when I am ready to depart. It is not good for the battery to stay at a high SOC for long periods of time.

I use the feature to time high-percentage charging (charging to 95% or more SOC) to be complete when I am ready to depart. It is not good for the battery to stay at a high SOC for long periods of time.
Yes, that is the best approach when going to a long trip (I never charge above 90%). But for daily driving, when SOC is lower (I keep it at 60%) the question of appropriate current arises.

Has anyone noticed the car making clunking sounds when waking up? Since I have upgraded to 2021.36.5.6 my cars screen is very slow to turn on when entering the car. The car also makes the same clunking noises like when it is upgrading the software but it does that every time the car wakes.

Do not install 2021.36.5.8. I installed it 2 days ago on my 2016 Model S with upgraded FSD hardware.

Today was the first day that I used Autopilot on a 120 mile trip. Everytime I came up to a flashing yellow or a green light. The car would say it was stopping in XXX feet. I would press on the accelerator to ignore the green light and continue to drive through it. It would give me the same warning again 2 more times. Each time I pressed the accelerator, it would not do as I requested and give me the warning message again. I then tried to cancel the warning bu using the stalk to ignore the green light, but the stopping in XXX feet would continue to happen.

This defect makes the Autopilot totally unusable.

Has anyone noticed the car making clunking sounds when waking up? Since I have upgraded to 2021.36.5.6 my cars screen is very slow to turn on when entering the car. The car also makes the same clunking noises like when it is upgrading the software but it does that every time the car wakes.
I upgraded to 2021.36.5.8 last night. The screen turns on quicker and quieter. Now it responds like it did before. Maybe I had a bug on the previous version.

Do not install 2021.36.5.8. I installed it 2 days ago on my 2016 Model S with upgraded FSD hardware.

Today was the first day that I used Autopilot on a 120 mile trip. Everytime I came up to a flashing yellow or a green light. The car would say it was stopping in XXX feet. I would press on the accelerator to ignore the green light and continue to drive through it. It would give me the same warning again 2 more times. Each time I pressed the accelerator, it would not do as I requested and give me the warning message again. I then tried to cancel the warning bu using the stalk to ignore the green light, but the stopping in XXX feet would continue to happen.

This defect makes the Autopilot totally unusable.
Handling of flashing lights has been a problem for some time. Upgrade or not I don't think I've had a version with stop light control that didn't do this.

Reactions: Battpower