Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021.4.11 bricks the Model S ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi!
A couple of weeks ago I went to my 2018 75D Model S to take a drive and suddenly neither screen was working. I had no error messages before hand what so ever.

I hard reset the car a couple of times and the main screen came to life, but not the screen behind the steering while. Further more, it seems my car had reset itself to a Model S 85 with a different color than mine, and was in Tesla HQ in US as well (I'm in Oslo, Norway).

I could use the main screen, but the options didn't work, i.e. turning the headlights on and off.

It ended up with getting my car towed and Tesla had to do a 12V reset. They turned the power off and back on. This effectively resets the car and I had to enter my account details in Spotify again, all my map favorites was gone etc. No parts were replaces.

My Tesla invoice showed that this would be fixed in a future software update.

But, only a couple of weeks later the same thing happens again. I get a visit from mobile service and they reset the 12V battery again. I'm then able to drive to the nearest service center. Both screens and everything is working just fine at this point.

The service center guy then tells me that they can't take the car or give me a loaner as there isn't any fix for this. I asked him if this was a know issue and he says yes, the guys in the US are working on it. In my mind this must affect thousands of cars then, but he shrugged it off with "it depends on the vehicle components bla bla" as if I'm a complete idiot.

So, basically Tesla needs the car to get towed again, whenever that happens, before they are able to have a look at the car again.

Has anyone else had any issue like this?

Notes:
  1. I have a Midnight grey 2018 Model S 75D, the car reset itself to a red S85
  2. My Location is Oslo, Norway
1616694750663.png

1616694782506.png

1616694677245.png

Well then that is a strange problem there, my first guess was eMMC also but i guess thats not it.
have you tried doing a factory reset?
also when it craps out next time try and do the HV power reset. roll down the drivers window, pull the front storage unit out, disconnect the 12v ground then pull the firemans loop and let it sit for like 30 min then back together in reverse. that has fixed a few of my weird glitches

Well then that is a strange problem there, my first guess was eMMC also but i guess thats not it.
have you tried doing a factory reset?
also when it craps out next time try and do the HV power reset. roll down the drivers window, pull the front storage unit out, disconnect the 12v ground then pull the firemans loop and let it sit for like 30 min then back together in reverse. that has fixed a few of my weird glitches
Factory Reset: Yes
HW Power reset: Yes
Shutdown (via the in car menu): Yes
Software: Has been upgraded to 2021.4.12

Also: After this happened the second time, after the 12V reset, the car was not a red S85, but the color, VIN etc. was displaying correctly.

Do you have a USB key plugged in? I had a similar issue and was told that my USB key was not formatted correctly. (Instead of fat32 they said iit showed up as vfat which is not supported). Weird thing is it showed as fat32 in my PC when I checked it. Decided to ditch that USB key and get a new one in case it was faulty and I let the car format it.