Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021.4.12.2 SW Issue? Jumps back in Lane at lane change

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi
I used to have this lane change abort problem in my 2018 T3 in 2019 and after many emails (with logs and videos) with Tesla, they were able to fix it. Fast forward to 2021.4.12.2 SW a month ago, The problem is back. Mostly seen in NOA mode when changing lane out of the left lane , starts blinkers, starts to move to adjacent lane (no traffic around) and midway into the move aborts the move, gets back to the left lane, blinkers still on, settles down and then tries again and usually makes it, on second or third try.

My reason for posting here is that hopefully tesla monitors these sites and knows it is a real problem.

I have 2018 Tesla 3 with around 24K miles and FSD option paid (and awaited).

One thing I noticed on a road trip last fall was that Auto Lane Change would often fail (either not engage or abort), because the car couldn’t see the outside lane marker if the target lane. If the car doesn’t see both the dashed lane marker between your lane and the target lane, and the lane marker on the other side of the target lane, it won’t Auto Lane Change. You can tell when the car sees both lane markers because they’re rendered in the driver visualization.

I don’t know if this is your issue, but it’s one possibility.

Mine does it very often when a car is next to me 2 lanes over. It also does it when pavements are different colors.

I can only use NoAP for a few minutes before it does stupid stuff and I have to turn it Off.

Does yours change lanes for no reason? Like my exit is coming up while in the middle lane, but will change lanes to the left, and then try to change two lanes to the right to get off the freeway.

I was also stuck on carpool lane and missed my exit because NoAP wasn't aggressive enough to make the lane change.

I’ve never disabled NoA lane change confirmations because the lane changes are unreliable (for me). I haven’t found proposed lane changes to be as erratic as what @sperkin described, but annoying enough at times to disable NoA.
Just happened this morning again. Lots of time to make the change but waits until the last minute. Also, if the car is half way in the lane it might as well finish.

NoAP lane change

Happened to me today on NOA on 12.2. Realized it was trying to make the lane change over a solid white line in a construction area and refused to do it. The blinker stayed on and the blue target stayed on and the lane change happened after the solid white line ended.

Happened to me today on NOA on 12.2. Realized it was trying to make the lane change over a solid white line in a construction area and refused to do it. The blinker stayed on and the blue target stayed on and the lane change happened after the solid white line ended.

That seems like the correct way to handle that situation. What do you think the car should have done differently?

Reactions: sperkin
12.2 has been a strange release for me in a RWD-LR Model 3.....

It does as you describe and also does a strange regen braking highway exit ramps when exiting.... I get 3 braking events.... a slow down at around 200 yards... then again right before exit and then again on the exit ramp.....

More strange is that I haven't seen allot (if any) 12.2 cars get the .15 firmware yet....

12.2 has been a strange release for me in a RWD-LR Model 3.....

It does as you describe and also does a strange regen braking highway exit ramps when exiting.... I get 3 braking events.... a slow down at around 200 yards... then again right before exit and then again on the exit ramp.....

More strange is that I haven't seen allot (if any) 12.2 cars get the .15 firmware yet....
I strongly suspect 12.2 is a test build, hence some of the strange behavior. I drive a lot of back roads and I am forward collision warnings on almost every drive, where I had never gotten them before. My suspicion is that they are testing vision-only forward collision warning (which apparently still needs some work). Perhaps they are testing some other features as well. I get the slowing before the exit now too, which I like. Previously, especially on short ramps, the car had to brake way too heavily around exits to slow to a safe speed. Now it does it sooner.