Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got this one last night too. The cold weather reference may relate to the reported poor performance of the 2021 3P in cold temps. The last update helped by lowering the voltage floor resulting in more power in cold weather at a low SOC. This is being discussed in the battery thread. Perhaps this is an evolution of that. Do people actually skip these updates? I’m new to all of this.
Some of us really dislike the new UI. I always used to install updates, but had to pull the plug because of the 'holiday update'.

Reactions: clerks
A guy on Teslaownoeronline mentionned :"Also, I don't think I've seen maximum drive unit power more than ~210 kW before the update - and today it reached 225kW, making my 2019 SR+ a 300HP car"

Have you heard of that elsewhere? It should be easy for anybody with scanmytesla to verify this. Would be amazing!

something needs to be adjusted for regeneration and traction control to work together more safely during normal winter driving in the north east. a couple days ago, driving in temperatures around 18F with snow falling and coating the roads, lifting foot off the accelerator caused the rear end to slip toward the downhill slope of the road and the front end to slide straight on. had to correct with steering until the wheels caught up with the new speed and pulled the rear tires back behind the front.

• Informative
Reactions: Transformer
Something's doesn't sound right. The stability and traction control on these cars is absolutely amazing, to the point where you can't even have fun with them anymore :) There is no way to make the car lose control. Yes, lifting your foot off the accelerator "quickly" might temporarily block the wheels (because of regen), the few milliseconds the system needs to detect the blocking wheels and adjust regen downwards, which it does very well. What you have to realize is that lifting your foot quickly off the accelerator is the equivalent of hitting the brakes pretty hard. You wouldn't typically do this on the snow...although if you did, the ABS system would help you, after a few milliseconds to react to the situation.

Something's doesn't sound right. The stability and traction control on these cars is absolutely amazing, to the point where you can't even have fun with them anymore :) There is no way to make the car lose control. Yes, lifting your foot off the accelerator "quickly" might temporarily block the wheels (because of regen), the few milliseconds the system needs to detect the blocking wheels and adjust regen downwards, which it does very well. What you have to realize is that lifting your foot quickly off the accelerator is the equivalent of hitting the brakes pretty hard. You wouldn't typically do this on the snow...although if you did, the ABS system would help you, after a few milliseconds to react to the situation.
i did not notice you sitting in the back seat. must have been one of those awake dreams i'm so prone to. or

See here: Increased Regen starting with Software Build v10.2 2021.4.11

Max Regen and Max charging power is now higher than before at cold battery temperatures. It's still zero under freezing temperatures but it ramps up faster than before when you cross over freezing. I've observed similar results on my car, with ScanMyTesla.

See here: Increased Regen starting with Software Build v10.2 2021.4.11

Max Regen and Max charging power is now higher than before at cold battery temperatures. It's still zero under freezing temperatures but it ramps up faster than before when you cross over freezing. I've observed similar results on my car, with ScanMyTesla.
As you can see on the curve he linked to the car now accepts some regen even when celltemp min is -1,5C, but no regen below -1.5C. 0C cell temp min gives 15-20kW regen.

A guy on Teslaownoeronline mentionned :"Also, I don't think I've seen maximum drive unit power more than ~210 kW before the update - and today it reached 225kW, making my 2019 SR+ a 300HP car"

Have you heard of that elsewhere? It should be easy for anybody with scanmytesla to verify this. Would be amazing!

the 2019 SR+ was overrated from the factory. It actually had higher HP on the german car passport to reflect that. (like 20 or 30 more hp?)

As you can see on the curve he linked to the car now accepts some regen even when celltemp min is -1,5C, but no regen below -1.5C. 0C cell temp min gives 15-20kW regen.
Yes, I saw that. However, What I had noticed on prior drives, and what I saw yesterday while specifically looking at this, is that I had 0 regen until my min battery temp touched 1C. At that point it started ramping up quickly, at 2C I already had 21kW of regen. Yesterday I hit the full 85kW of regen at a 10C min battery temp. Maybe there are other factors that affect the regen value, not just the battery temp. For example, I went from 65kW to 19kW of max regen going down a steep but relatively short hill with a stop sign at the bottom. Thus, as you use regen, the actual max value lowers, until you accelerate again at which point it goes back up. That is while the battery's cold, I think the max regen value doesn't go down when you regen (or not as quickly) when the battery's warm. Obviously as others have said, SOC also has an influence. My drive started at 79% SOC and ended at 68% SOC, on a 2020 LR AWD.

Good question. There were reports of erratic regen braking (I had this, but went away). Maybe allowing faster charging when the battery temps are colder. Who knows really. Maybe a heated steering wheel 😎
I only wish a heated steering wheel could be added via over-the-air update. Alas, I believe that requires a hardware update, i.e. a steering wheel with heating elements.

Reactions: APotatoGod
I was surprised to see 2021.4.12 downloaded to my M3P this morning, since I didn’t see it on the sites I usually track (Teslafi, teslascope, notateslaapp, etc.) and it’s been a long time - as in, years - since I was the first to get any new update (I usually get them a few days after first discovery).

So if you’re subscribed to Teslafi updates and received an email stating “Software version 2021.4.12 was just detected on a Model 3 Performance in California”, that’s me!

Anyway, the only thing besides the typical bug fixes are “cold weather improvements”, whatever that is. No sight of any “Download FSD Beta” button, sadly.

View attachment 643823
I was just notified about that update about an hour ago. I've scheduled it to download tonight at 8PM EDT. Any cold weather improvements will be appreciated here in New England.

What changes with regen in cold temps? Does anyone who has an app like Scan My Tesla have the update to report on changes in regen braking levels in colder temps? Right now we've found that below about 70° regen starts dropping significantly. With a battery temp of 68° or below approximately regen drops to around only 35 kW or less. Regen dashes on our Model S appear once the regen drops below 35 kW I believe.
I don't have Scan My Tesla, but an hour ago I got in my M3 when the outside air temp was 54 degrees. I had full regenerative braking. I'm currently on v. 2021.4.11. But prior to that update, I would have had reduced regenerative braking when the outside air temp was 54, so I think things are improving. At this moment I am updating the car to the newest version. Let's see what's different...

Elon mentioned in a Tweet that those who want to join the FSD Beta (like you’ve seen on YouTube) testing will be able to download the Beta via a “button” on the screen. This is because he’s a doofus and just tweets things and the customer service side of the house didn’t know ahead of time and they got SLAMMED by requests of how to join the Beta.

So, there’s going to be an update release and it’ll have a button you press and you will be able to then download the FSD Beta and let the car do city streets driving on its own.
Doofus? Ok. Let’s see, he’s worth billions because he’s running several high tech companies with killer vision. Doofus. Don’t think so.

Reactions: iamnid
Damn this system hanging and delaying and not posting then posting both attempts! 🙄

anyhoo, saw your follow up to another poster. I get it that some don’t like the way he tweets, but it’s the way to connect with people without having to go thru handlers. Personally haven’t been bothered by anything he says. To the contrary, I appreciate the guys relative accessibility.

Doofus? Ok. Let’s see, he’s worth billions because he’s running several high tech companies with killer vision. Doofus. Ok.
You be a worth billions and still be a doofus. Don’t put the guy on a pedestal. He’s had plenty of bone headed moves because he thought it’d be “cool”. That in my book earns him the title of a doofus, even if he has run several high tech companies...

Reactions: APotatoGod
I only wish a heated steering wheel could be added via over-the-air update. Alas, I believe that requires a hardware update, i.e. a steering wheel with heating elements.
I think the poster you are referring to was talking about activating the heated steering wheels that have been delivered in many new cars, but not yet activated in the firmware.