Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They just opened a new V3 charger near my house last week. The stalls are labeled in the same place as the V2 chargers
And to be crystal clear the v3 ones you see are labeled 1, 2, 3, 4, etc (ie. no letters) and not 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, etc which were for sharing of two pedestals for v1 or v2 types of superchargers. Correct?
i.e. lettering would be illogical because every Supercharger V3 stall will have its own independent power supply — no sharing of power across paired stalls.

Last edited:
They do still share. And are normally labeled A-D per cabinet. So 1A, 1B, 1C, 1D, 2A, 2B, etc.
Wow, that will be confusing for many. ie. even on a v3 supercharger someone seeing a car at 1A may not go to 1B because they think the kW will be split between them (one ramps up while the other ramps down).

My point about sharing was that in v1&v2 two pedestals both connected would *noticeably* limit the power and vary based on who plugged in first. I've tested this with 2 cars and looked at TeslaFI charging 1 minute incremented charging points between the two cars.

The general consensus with v3 is they each pedestal works independently for the amount of power available (150-250) like the urban superchargers (72).

Hope that helps explain my answer from the end-user charging practical perspective.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Wow, that will be confusing for many. ie. even on a v3 supercharger someone seeing a car at 1A may not go to 1B because they think the kW will be split between them (one ramps up while the other ramps down).
Agreed.

Although I'm still very surprised by the number of Tesla owners that still don't know about power sharing between stalls. It seems like nearly every other time I supercharge, the place can be just about empty, and a guy will park next to me and share the power. Most of them are completely shocked to learn about the power split. It's probably due to the very large influx of new owners over the last few months.

It would help if Tesla would put an information sign at each supercharger explaining how stall power sharing works at that facility.

The general consensus with v3 is they each pedestal works independently for the amount of power available (150-250) like the urban superchargers (72).

Each V3 cabinet has a 350kVA input, so if all four stalls are occupied it can only supply ~80kW to each by itself. The saving grace is that it also has a 575kW DC input from other V3 cabinets or batteries. So if a V3 site fills up with all empty cars at the same time, and doesn't have battery packs, charging would be limited to ~80kW per stall. However since that is unlikely to happen you can normally get much more, and the stall you are next to doesn't matter near as much. ("Small" sites have all the cabinets linked, while I think the most number of cabinets that can be linked together is 7, or 28 stalls.)

Agreed.

Although I'm still very surprised by the number of Tesla owners that still don't know about power sharing between stalls. It seems like nearly every other time I supercharge, the place can be just about empty, and a guy will park next to me and share the power. Most of them are completely shocked to learn about the power split. It's probably due to the very large influx of new owners over the last few months.

It would help if Tesla would put an information sign at each supercharger explaining how stall power sharing works at that facility.
The look they give when you move the car is kind of like "What you think I was going to do something." I am of the mind don't speak unless spoken to lately. Yet I have explained so many times shared charging. I would guess many people aren't looking for speed efficiency as they could. Which is unfortunate if someone views it as a negative situation when it didn't have to be. Maybe a popup that could be declined for future viewing explaining such sharing. Wouldn't count on it.

I saw many of the stall 1ABCD's on some of the newer V3's last week on a 5k drive week. Others have said look in the loop. It's there. My guess they start labeling more as it makes no sense to see then have to walk up to each one to visually inspect if they are telling us what stall is down.

The look they give when you move the car is kind of like "What you think I was going to do something." I am of the mind don't speak unless spoken to lately. Yet I have explained so many times shared charging. I would guess many people aren't looking for speed efficiency as they could. Which is unfortunate if someone views it as a negative situation when it didn't have to be. Maybe a popup that could be declined for future viewing explaining such sharing. Wouldn't count on it.
The obvious thing to me would be a graphic that showed up on all our screens when we're driving up to a supercharger that showed the layout and highlighted each pedestal with a fast, faster, fastest label or some similar concept of a color scheme. Perhaps there are too many layouts to consider. I've been to about 145 unique superchargers in my travels and most are similar.

Got the update today, now my car is making all kind of noises when parked. Fans whirring, pumps pumping, clunks clunking... I've been sitting here for an hour listening to it since the update confirmed completion. Is this typical after an update? This is my first since picking up the car 3/25.

after all this hyping by elon i wonder what he actually meant with the holiday update... i would have assumed he did mean some v11 elements but maybe things got more complicated and hence they couldnt release that. what speaks against it that the new Model S all seem to run V10.
The holiday update he was actually referring to was April 1. 🥳

Got the update today, now my car is making all kind of noises when parked. Fans whirring, pumps pumping, clunks clunking... I've been sitting here for an hour listening to it since the update confirmed completion. Is this typical after an update? This is my first since picking up the car 3/25.
I’ve sometimes had that after an update. Do a hard reboot (thumb wheels, buttons above the thumb wheels and the brake pedal) and it should clear

Reactions: Sigterm
I’ve sometimes had that after an update. Do a hard reboot (thumb wheels, buttons above the thumb wheels and the brake pedal) and it should clear
Thanks! Yeah, it chilled out about 15 minutes after my original comment, until a random clunk made me jump. Wondering if it's some kind of recalibration it does with a fresh firmware.