Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021.4.18.2 on new MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well since no-one was confirming one way or another. I am happy to confirm that after updating my Model Y (with radar), it does NOT require Auto High Beams for auto-pilot. And no mention of anything about internal camera in the notes.
My concern is: will autopilot still work if the cabin camera is covered? I have a sticker over my camera because it gives me the creeps, and am hesitant to update to the new software version because I don’t want to have to choose between autopilot and privacy (and yes, I know they claim that camera data stays local unless you opt in to sharing, still don’t want camera uncovered)

I saw a bug with the rear/back-up camera. My display showed an old static image when I was reversing instead of updating in real-time. I switched to drive and reverse again and the back-up camera (or display) started working again.

I tried to replicate the bug to capture it with my phone, but wasn't successful.

My concern is: will autopilot still work if the cabin camera is covered? I have a sticker over my camera because it gives me the creeps, and am hesitant to update to the new software version because I don’t want to have to choose between autopilot and privacy (and yes, I know they claim that camera data stays local unless you opt in to sharing, still don’t want camera uncovered)
My understanding is the cabin camera is being implemented on the radar-less cars, and once implemented I’m positive you can still cover it and just keep a hand on the wheel. Camera is if you don’t want to touch the wheel. At least eventually, in future updates!

I also had the same issue on my M3 when backing up. It was only one time but it was 2 months ago which was before this update and evening the previous. Hasn’t happened since

Reactions: Giraffe950
My understanding is the cabin camera is being implemented on the radar-less cars, and once implemented I’m positive you can still cover it and just keep a hand on the wheel. Camera is if you don’t want to touch the wheel. At least eventually, in future updates!

I also had the same issue on my M3 when backing up. It was only one time but it was 2 months ago which was before this update and evening the previous. Hasn’t happened since
I'm not so sure - given all of the "look at how stupid I can be" videos on youtube, as well as consumer reports highlighting how easy it is to get around the AP nags. I'd be pretty sure that you will not be able to engage AP if camera is blocked - because the holding the wheel is supposed to mean attentive driver but really isn't.
Imagine the CR report that all you had to do was cover the camera and hang a chain/water bottle from the steering wheel to override- then the camera becomes required for AP. It will be here sooner than you think, not because its safer, but because CR sales and youtube likes are more important.
Seems cynical but you know its true :rolleyes:

Reactions: CapsEngineer
Drives about the same overall as the previous vision-heavy build… dropped out of AP with a panic twice this morning in similar spots. Also does the same annoying thing where it will slow down before random intersections even though the light is green, it’s clear to go (green line on the screen), and there’s no apparent obstruction ahead. One had a pedestrian off to the side and the car seemed like it was ready to give him the right of way, but I couldn’t figure out the other times.
My MY has always slowed down to a stop at flashing yellow lights (signal ahead signs) and green lights. I thought that is how it was supposed to work.

I have been on 18.3 for a couple of weeks now.

My MY has always slowed down to a stop at flashing yellow lights (signal ahead signs) and green lights. I thought that is how it was supposed to work.

I have been on 18.3 for a couple of weeks now.
Yellow light - sounds like a bug, though mine might try the same considering how many irrelevant stop signs it is picking up lately. Green lights - normally it should slow down and stop if you don’t acknowledge it (red line on screen), but should keep going without slowdowns if you’ve acknowledged it with a stalk or accelerator pedal (green line on screen)

Reactions: Lightbulb
Well since no-one was confirming one way or another. I am happy to confirm that after updating my Model Y (with radar), it does NOT require Auto High Beams for auto-pilot. And no mention of anything about internal camera in the notes.
Auto high beams are no longer mandatory for autopilor on Vision cars either. Its enabled at the start of AP but can be disabled without a kickout.

edit: this is as of 2021.4.18.10

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
@Twiglett

Well as of right now you can technically put a weight on the steering wheel while In AP and go hands free. I just thought from sales and people being freaked out by monitoring camera standpoint, it would make sense to be able to disable the camera. Would make the most sense that if you disable the camera you can go back to just touching the wheel and still be able to use AP. I could totally see it being a law or a push to go the camera route as it’s for sure safer and harder to trick. Dumb people will always find a way though, no matter what! 🤷🏻‍♂️

Looks like a whole bunch of 4.18.2 folks got updated to various other versions.
There was a rapid uptick in 4.18.11 but that seems to be fading out, looks like they have enough telemetry on that version now.
Then there is the 4.21 branch that also seems to have stalled.
So difficult to tell what's happening.

So what's the final verdict with this update? If you cover the cabin camera lens, will you lose AP functionality? I have my lens covered but as of date I still have refused to update to this version. Although it has been stated the data doesn't leave your vehicle unless you data share, if you rely on google maps with traffic enabled, and some other features, then you must data share. So they got you there!

So what's the final verdict with this update? If you cover the cabin camera lens, will you lose AP functionality? I have my lens covered but as of date I still have refused to update to this version. Although it has been stated the data doesn't leave your vehicle unless you data share, if you rely on google maps with traffic enabled, and some other features, then you must data share. So they got you there!
its slowly being replaced by any one of the eight newer versions out there :D
As an aside, Tesla is the most connected car out there, so the data sharing option just covers the privacy aspects of your data. Saying "No" there doesn't stop all the other online activity of the car, your car remains fully connected.