Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021.4.18.2 on new MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks! Sounds like this vision-heavy build is a regression in your opinion. But i'm glad no DMS and auto-on high beam requirement is there. If you were me, would you stick to the older autopilot or update to 18.2 if you want consistency

I’d say it’s fine to update unless you rely heavily on AP / TACC on city streets. The vision releases have had a higher rate of forward collision warnings for me, and I just remembered that today 18.2 also decided that the correct stop line for a traffic light near me is actually at the furthest edge of the crosswalk. I’m mostly engaging / disengaging it to check out the progress as only a couple streets in my area work well for AP (eg clear lane lines for more than a few blocks).

if its the same as 4.15.12 then I'm happy with that. Much better than the 4.18 my car updated to - knew I shouldn't have updated :)

Yep, feels the same for me :)

Just want to add, I plunged in and updated my model 3 with radar to 4.18.2, and drove directly into the sun on the freeway yesterday evening for about 20 miles (I could barely see myself) with no phantom braking events or warning sounds. Looks like a good update so far!

Other than that more or less the same as previous AP builds. Doesn’t seem like there is any new NNs making driving decisions at this point.

Reactions: powertoold
Efficiency drop after 2021.4.18.2?

I have a 2018 M3 LR Dual-Motor; took a little (~180 mile total) trip this last Thursday 17-Jun-2021. Reached the destination about 13:00, and installed the new patch. On the way back home didn't notice anything particularly different; but I did use a few Wh more per mile than usual & arrived home with ~35 miles of remaining range instead of the usual ~50. Over the life of my car (since I picked it up originally on 22-Oct-2018) I have covered about 36000 miles in moderately flamboyant fashion & I have averaged ~296 Wh per mile. In the time since, my efficiency has been markedly worse than usual, with no change in my driving habits; the last 79.6 miles (since my last charge) have averaged 330 Wh per mile. I have had a couple hours of worse-than-average weather... but it doesn't feel like enough to account for what I am seeing.

Has anybody else noticed this?

So we can confirm that the 2021.4.18.2 update only has to do with the cabin camera ?

I am avoiding doing the update till I confirm it won’t mess with my auto pilot in regards to needing auto high beams on. Auto high beams have never worked for me as they always just flash at the worst times and I rely on auto pilot a lot. I’ve heard the update doesn’t affect radar 3/y but I would like to confirm before doing the update.

So we can confirm that the 2021.4.18.2 update only has to do with the cabin camera ?

I am avoiding doing the update till I confirm it won’t mess with my auto pilot in regards to needing auto high beams on. Auto high beams have never worked for me as they always just flash at the worst times and I rely on auto pilot a lot. I’ve heard the update doesn’t affect radar 3/y but I would like to confirm before doing the update.
I just updated yesterday. Have 2021 MY April build. With radar. No cabin camera setting after update. So I think depends on your model

My concern is that even if it is confirmed that this update doesnt mess with any of that, the code could be there, and potentially enabled at a later date (without another update).

is it confirmed that Auto High beams is a requirement after this update even on with radar cars?

Cabin camera updates are a part of 2021.4.18.3.x release. I am on a MY built in may picked up about 2 weeks ago, and received the .3 update about a week in mentioning cabin camera updates specifically in that minor release. So to my knowledge not until the .3 minor release is downloaded will it be monitoring driver attentiveness via the interior camera. What I notice is that on AP the notification to apply pressure to steering wheel is not just the standard blue one, it is a blue/red one further down on the screen when I am on the highway and actively actually looking at my phone or something —again the visual is different when it detects inattention via interior camera. More about .3 update/experiences in MY community threads.

Cabin camera updates are a part of 2021.4.18.3.x release. I am on a MY built in may picked up about 2 weeks ago, and received the .3 update about a week in mentioning cabin camera updates specifically in that minor release. So to my knowledge not until the .3 minor release is downloaded will it be monitoring driver attentiveness via the interior camera. What I notice is that on AP the notification to apply pressure to steering wheel is not just the standard blue one, it is a blue/red one further down on the screen when I am on the highway and actively actually looking at my phone or something —again the visual is different when it detects inattention via interior camera. More about .3 update/experiences in MY community threads.
Confirmed in my new AWD. Interior cam also penalizes you for looking in your mirrors, which you have to do when AP is locked 10mph below the flow of traffic.

but I did use a few Wh more per mile than usual & arrived home with ~35 miles of remaining range instead of the usual ~50
I have covered about 36000 miles in moderately flamboyant fashion & I have averaged ~296 Wh per mile. In the time since, my efficiency has been markedly worse than usual, with no change in my driving habits; the last 79.6 miles (since my last charge) have averaged 330 Wh per mile. I have had a couple hours of worse-than-average weather... but it doesn't feel like enough to account for what I am seeing.
I'm hearing two things.

1. Less efficiency on a return trip compared to the outbound.

2. Generally less efficient.

On the first, perhaps wind? Traffic density also plays a part - in heavier traffic you will gain some drafting effect without trying even following a largish vehicle on AP set to 3 or 4. Maybe try TeslaWinds.com.

On the second, normal degradation?

Just spit ballin here.

Just went with a friend to pickup his new MY and upon arriving at home, it downloaded 2021.4.18.2 and then we proceeded to install. I'm guessing this is for the radarless MY? My MY is still on 2021.4.18

I just got this update too on Saturday, I drive a 2021 M3 LR (with radar). On my commute the stop and go traffic is waay better, the adaptive cruise control is spot on with other cars and I can tell it's reading the distances correctly with the car ahead and braking precisely to take advantage of Regen. 2021.4.18.2 has made significant progress and Autopilot is actually dependable in heavy traffic — when Before I had doubts whether the Tesla saw the car ahead and did some weird late braking which was unnatural.

I just got this update too on Saturday, I drive a 2021 M3 LR (with radar). On my commute the stop and go traffic is waay better, the adaptive cruise control is spot on with other cars and I can tell it's reading the distances correctly with the car ahead and braking precisely to take advantage of Regen. 2021.4.18.2 has made significant progress and Autopilot is actually dependable in heavy traffic — when Before I had doubts whether the Tesla saw the car ahead and did some weird late braking which was unnatural.

I also have a 2021 M3 LR (with radar) and I haven’t done the update yet. Can you confirm that you don’t need auto brights on at night when using AP? As I previously mentioned in my experience auto brights dont work worth crap so I want to avoid needing them on if I can

Just got this update today and two drives in I feel like auto steer is a little smoother but it still does the thing where it slows down for way too long after someone has made a left-hand turn in front of me and then takes way too long to accelerate back to speed.

Just got this update today and two drives in I feel like auto steer is a little smoother but it still does the thing where it slows down for way too long after someone has made a left-hand turn in front of me and then takes way too long to accelerate back to speed.
Just hit the accelerator once to confirm it’s safe to pass.