Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021.4.18.2 vs. 2021.12.25.7 Battery Range Estimation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is not a question about why my 2021 M3P (no FSD) isn't getting advertised range, ways to re-calibrate the battery, driving habits, etc.

I'm simply asking if anyone noticed that their displayed estimated range dropped significantly with the update from v2021.4.18.2 to 2021.12.25.7. I've also noticed with this update the car taking what I would call about a 5 mile or about 10-minute "warm-up" period where the energy usage is very high as displayed in the car when first starting a drive.

You'll notice this drop happened literally overnight, at the 8,574 mile mark. Same 84 mile round trip commute, same temps, same non-aggressive driving behaviors, same weather, same 65MPH cruising speed.
battery_test.png

Whatever 3rd party app you use is useless. That is why Tesla doesn’t recognize any of that.

From the look of it, its probably teslafi, but I dont know for sure. In any case, while I personally mostly share your apparent disdain for third party monitoring tools, and what they tend to drive many users to do or assume, thats not THIS particular post.

I am very (very) active in moving posts about range, etc to the master thread, unless they are markedly different than the "regular" question. This one happens to be different than the "regular" question and I thought it was different enough to let it stand on its own.

The OP is very clear in that they are not talking about range loss in general etc, but asking a very specific question about any differences people might have noticed between specific software versions.

As long as the discussion stays around what the OP asked, and not the general topic, in question, I think it can stand alone.

On that note, I am asking people to please address the question asked, and not the generalities around this topic that normally happen.

This is not a question about why my 2021 M3P (no FSD) isn't getting advertised range, ways to re-calibrate the battery, driving habits, etc.

I'm simply asking if anyone noticed that their displayed estimated range dropped significantly with the update from v2021.4.18.2 to 2021.12.25.7. I've also noticed with this update the car taking what I would call about a 5 mile or about 10-minute "warm-up" period where the energy usage is very high as displayed in the car when first starting a drive.

You'll notice this drop happened literally overnight, at the 8,574 mile mark. Same 84 mile round trip commute, same temps, same non-aggressive driving behaviors, same weather, same 65MPH cruising speed.View attachment 700953
Sorry, no to the drop and no to the "warm-up". I just got back from a long road-trip, where my software updated to 12.25.7 right in the middle of my trip, and I noticed no change.
IMG_2271.jpeg

The update occurred right after 22,000 miles, and I suppose I had one outlier at 306 and 23,500 miles, but it immediately bounced back up above 310, right after.

Giving it more thought, sometimes these odd results affect specific models, so you have a P, I'd ask specifically about P models. And, just to add another datapoint, but Andy also seems to have a P.

From the look of it, its probably teslafi, but I dont know for sure. In any case, while I personally mostly share your apparent disdain for third party monitoring tools, and what they tend to drive many users to do or assume, thats not THIS particular post.

I am very (very) active in moving posts about range, etc to the master thread, unless they are markedly different than the "regular" question. This one happens to be different than the "regular" question and I thought it was different enough to let it stand on its own.

The OP is very clear in that they are not talking about range loss in general etc, but asking a very specific question about any differences people might have noticed between specific software versions.

As long as the discussion stays around what the OP asked, and not the general topic, in question, I think it can stand alone.

On that note, I am asking people to please address the question asked, and not the generalities around this topic that normally happen.
Thanks for this reply, I appreciate it. I've been a software developer / engineer / manager for over 20 years now, and I totally geek out over data like this, especially since it's available via Tesla's API.

Yes, you are absolutely correct. I'm really just trying to determine if there is any trend or significance to this data based on software version. I'm anxious for the next OTA update so I can dig through the numbers.

Great community here. Appreciate it.

I noticed a drop too, but I am still within my 10% expected initial degredation over 15k miles on my 2021 LR.

Tesla is more aggressive than most other EV manufacturers in terms of usable range and charging speed, so I am suffering the consequences of that. I won't have the car forever, so it's not too important to me.