Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021.4.18.3 Many more false alarms, some positives

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a 2018 Model 3 and just picked up a 2021 Model Y 10 days ago. The Model 3 is on 4.18.2 and the Model Y is on 4.18.3. The difference between the two cars on Autopilot is remarkable, and not in a good way. The Model Y (presumably without radar) is VERY sketchy, has many false positives, and just seems hesitant all the time - to the point that I don't even bother with NOA on the Model Y right now until a new version comes out. It's also CONSTANTLY nagging to tug the wheel, and it sometimes kicks me off Autopilot with the "Take over NOW!" screen and disables AP until the next drive for seemingly no reason. By contrast the 3 is confident and smooth. I'm REALLY hoping I didn't just buy a $60k car that will never be good at Autopilot because it's missing the radar.
So far my Vision Only Model Y works great, no problems with Autopilot (or NOA). I'm on 18.3. Only issue I've had is the auto wipers constantly going on while driving back from Hood River, turned out a bug was mushed in front of the camera and the wipers were unable to clear it.

Reactions: powertoold
I too, have had more FCWs and flashing red steering wheel alarms. My solution is to disable NoA for intersections, off ramps and critical situations. Maybe future updates will improve things. My $10,000 for FSD, at this point, seems like a waste of money.

I’m curious. 2021 MY. I’m at 18.2 With no invitation to download or install 18.3.

How are these updates rolled out? Is there a state by state preference? Did I anger someone? Does anyone know how roll outs are scheduled?

I’m curious. 2021 MY. I’m at 18.2 With no invitation to download or install 18.3.

How are these updates rolled out? Is there a state by state preference? Did I anger someone? Does anyone know how roll outs are scheduled?
Updates do not go to the whole fleet at the same time (in case there is an issue with it, you don't want it bricking all the cars at once). Also, some versions only go to certain cars/hardware configurations. For example, no reason for my non-heat pump car to get a bug fix for a heat pump car.

Can you point me to the instructions to get the dash cam footage? Thx
that looked like a photo of the in car viewer. its in the manual under dashcam - or tap the dash cam icon and select viewer ;)
Alternatively, pull the USB drive and plug it into your computer then look at the raw footage on your computer.
There are a couple of different apps that will ingest the footage off the the USB and build nice looking videos for you.
Lastly and most complex, grab TeslaUSB for Raspberry PI which will auto upload the video when you get home 🤓

18.3 sucks. Phantom braking that I have hardly had in my regular travels and something new I have never had, the 5 beep take over alarm for no reason at all. I hope 18.4 fixes this or the Tesla Vision actually makes an appearance and have it work. If you have 18.2,I suggest no updating.

Scratch this--AP will still follow the leading car, even into turning lanes at intersections. :(

AP (set to 53 mph) followed the lead car into the left turning lane this afternoon. It was the first time at this particular intersection. They were braking, drifted left, and didn't signal, but that shouldn't have mattered. AP panicked, beeped at me, and I took over.

Another notable 4.18.2 enhancement/fix:

AP proceeds straight through lights and doesn't follow the leading car into the turning lane.

AP has always followed the car ahead of it reliably, however, in previous releases sometimes it'd follow the lead car into the turning lane. Now it proceeds straight through and doesn't follow the leading car into the turning lane. It's been ~1 week and now I feel that I can relax and trust my car when I'm following someone and come to a set of lights.

I had no phantom braking at all in my driving area with 18.2 and that all changed with 18.3. No on my average 14 mile autopilot drive it will kick in at least twice at different locations. 18.3 also changes my lane change settings to vibrate steering wheel every time it did a lane change, I was able to turn that feature off with the help of a forum member. Not sure why the update turned it on in the first place.

FSD v9 beta as expected and history has showed was moved up again. This time just a week so maybe by November it could actually happen Will see what this "Mind Blowing" update will do. Hoping for the best for sure!