Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021.4.18.3 Many more false alarms, some positives

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mods, not sure this should go here or in the software/firmware forum. Apologies and move if necessary

I updated to 2021.4.18.3, 3 or 4 days ago. I've noticed while on and off autopilot I've gotten "Forward Collision Warning" (or w/e) about 6 times in those days when absolutely nothing is around me

And while not on autopilot I get "Take Control Immediately" warning much more frequently. I think that's the lane departure warning and on occasion its true but on most its not

On the positive side Autopilot is no longer false braking in several spots, like in school zones not in session and a couple of areas where I had no explanation for the previous braking. It also takes a sharp curve on a rural road beautifully now. It used to not slow down at all from 45MPH but now slows to 30-35MPH and doesn't sling me against the door or cross the center lane divider.

Curious of others impression and experiences

I have been getting this for several versions now, documented in other threads. Apparently I was getting some of the test versions (2021.4.xx.yy) and these warnings started on those branches. My thought is that forward collision warning was being tested using pure vision, resulting in the increase in false positives. However, I am back on the master branch (2021.4.18) and am still getting all of the false positives. My thought is that the forward collision warning using pure vision has been merged back into this master.

Reactions: Koolio46
Same with forward collision warning, getting false positives. On 2021.4.18.3

Just yesterday, at night, NoA took a highway off ramp at full speed (65mph). It didn’t slow down as it approach the off ramp. I had to take over and slow down.

I'm on 4.18.2, but I've already noticed a fantastic enhancement from 4.18. AP/FSD isn't timid around cyclists anymore and drives right past them without any fuss.

There's a lot of cyclist traffic on Foothill Expressway. Cyclists have a wide cycling lane and there's little risk, however, I generally drive in the left lane due to AP/FSD slowing/braking when passing said cyclists while in the right lane. I was in the right lane today and 4.18.2 smoothly took a green light at an intersection (S Foothill Expy and Arastradero) that used to give me problems and passed a cyclist as well. All as if I were driving and not AP/FSD.

AP_Foothill_Arastradero_right.jpg

Tesla's SW engineers are working on things and can't be bothered to break this out from their usual "minor bug fixes and enhancements" log, but this was a truly great enhancement. I'm a very happy customer.

I picked up my MY June 8, still a newbie but every day on way home from work, if on AP I am getting a drastic slowdown when it says SCHOOL on the pavement … nobody is at school and no humans slow down for it at this spot … was it actually full on breaking and this slowing is intended behavior, or am I still seeing this issue others encountered in prior versions?? All this is to say based on my experience this week on 4.18.3 I still see it acting up immensely at school zones … very frustrating also at parts of roads in my regular commute where nobody actually slows down for construction because it bas just been there for 500 years … is the slowing behavior at SCHOOL still happening for those that experienced what they feel is a bug that is fixed ??

I got a FCW warning on 4.18.2 this past weekend.

The weather was nice and there was tons of traffic, including a lot of motorcyclists, and you'll have this happen occasionally -- a motorcyclist splitting lanes into oncoming traffic. :eek: I was driving and squeezed right.

View attachment 675832
It seems to me that's a good thing, right?

Any idea on differences between 4.18.2 and 4.18.3? We have been on 4.18.2 for several weeks. Having stepped up the 4.15.x branch, I am finding AP behaviour of 4.18.2 quite similar although whilst some unexpected FCW's, not as many as one of the 4.15.x builds (.8 or .10). Just trying to see the state of things autowipers and AP behaviour wise as I had quite a poor experience in the wet yesterday and I'm kind of hoping that 4.18.2 is not where we are currently at.

Same with forward collision warning, getting false positives. On 2021.4.18.3

Just yesterday, at night, NoA took a highway off ramp at full speed (65mph). It didn’t slow down as it approach the off ramp. I had to take over and slow down.
I frequently have to take over when approaching an off ramp especially many of the tight exits. Hitting these ramps at 60mph+ is crazy fast and not safe.

Any idea on differences between 4.18.2 and 4.18.3? We have been on 4.18.2 for several weeks. Having stepped up the 4.15.x branch, I am finding AP behaviour of 4.18.2 quite similar although whilst some unexpected FCW's, not as many as one of the 4.15.x builds (.8 or .10). Just trying to see the state of things autowipers and AP behaviour wise as I had quite a poor experience in the wet yesterday and I'm kind of hoping that 4.18.2 is not where we are currently at.
Don’t know the exact differences but in my experience behavior seems about the same between 18.2 and 18.3. I haven’t driven in the rain, but I get the same nervousness on city streets (frequent phantom braking when passing parked cars or pedestrians waiting at intersections etc) and similar amount of AP freaking out and deactivating in similar conditions. Maybe fewer false FCWs, but not sure I spent enough time on 18.2 before getting bumped to 18.3 to properly compare that

• Informative
Reactions: MrBadger
We have a 2018 Model 3 and just picked up a 2021 Model Y 10 days ago. The Model 3 is on 4.18.2 and the Model Y is on 4.18.3. The difference between the two cars on Autopilot is remarkable, and not in a good way. The Model Y (presumably without radar) is VERY sketchy, has many false positives, and just seems hesitant all the time - to the point that I don't even bother with NOA on the Model Y right now until a new version comes out. It's also CONSTANTLY nagging to tug the wheel, and it sometimes kicks me off Autopilot with the "Take over NOW!" screen and disables AP until the next drive for seemingly no reason. By contrast the 3 is confident and smooth. I'm REALLY hoping I didn't just buy a $60k car that will never be good at Autopilot because it's missing the radar.

Update on my end: drove last night in the (light) rain and it handled it quite well. NoA was not available due to the 'poor visibility' but AP was fine in maintaining the lane and adjusting speed with TACC. Overall, it was a pleasant experience.

I have also noticed a few more of the 'take over now' and red beeping sounds when I'm using AP and going through certain types of traffic lights. It'll flash the 'take over now' message for a second but then it'll go away and still be in AP. Seems like the vision system freaks out for a hot second b/c it doesn't know what to do but it usually follows the road fine. A few times, I took over b/c it didn't seem like it'd do the right thing. I didn't experience this before 2021.4.18.3.

Another notable 4.18.2 enhancement/fix:

AP proceeds straight through lights and doesn't follow the leading car into the turning lane.

AP has always followed the car ahead of it reliably, however, in previous releases sometimes it'd follow the lead car into the turning lane. Now it proceeds straight through and doesn't follow the leading car into the turning lane. It's been ~1 week and now I feel that I can relax and trust my car when I'm following someone and come to a set of lights.