Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is involved to convert my usb music to streaming.
As @qdeathstar noted, the easiest way is to set up playlists on Spotify with your songs. I spent some time last year setting up playlists of all of my (200+) cassette mixtapes from the '80's and '90's - I can think of only one or two songs that were not available on Spotify - and I have a lot of underground punk and new wave on those tapes. Really great to be able to access them without a bulky tape player in my office - and on the go! I'm not sure whether you need to have a Premium Spotify account to do this or not - but it's only $9.99 per month (or $12.99 including Hulu, the plan that I have).

My update is installing now.

Hello everyone, new here. Recently got a 2021 Model 3 Standard Range in late January.
While nothing has been definitively proven, the general consensus is that it is smart practice to do the Touchscreen Reset* after updates. A surprisingly large number of post-update issues are cleared up this way. And you can do it while driving if needed.

*Touchscreen Reset is the term Tesla uses (see page 51 of the NA Manual) and is commonly referred to as a "reboot" - holding the two scroll wheels down until the screen goes blank. There is also the next level: Power Cycle as described on page 52. Holding the brake pedal while doing a the double scroll wheel reset does nothing different. There is also the Mountain Pass reset, but that's a little more hardcore.

As @qdeathstar noted, the easiest way is to set up playlists on Spotify with your songs. I spent some time last year setting up playlists of all of my (200+) cassette mixtapes from the '80's and '90's - I can think of only one or two songs that were not available on Spotify - and I have a lot of underground punk and new wave on those tapes. Really great to be able to access them without a bulky tape player in my office - and on the go! I'm not sure whether you need to have a Premium Spotify account to do this or not - but it's only $9.99 per month (or $12.99 including Hulu, the plan that I have).

My update is installing now.
I did the same except I used Apple Music - I have a bunch that wasn't on Spotify or Apple, but ripping it and adding to iTunes sends it up to their cloud so I can stream it later.

Reactions: DanDi58
Tesla's spotify support is bad. I got my 18 TM3P- in Feb '21 and saw the built in spotify support. I got spotify premium because of my Tesla

I used it for about a week, and canceled it. There is no playlist support at all that I could find. It would only play your 'liked' list
I’ve been using playlists for a long time. The UX isn’t intuitive (the Spotify app isn’t much better), but all the goods are now there and working, but maybe hard to find. I use Spotify exclusively for all music in my TM3. When I’m out of cell range, I play cached songs from Spotify on my phone through Bluetooth. Everything is available in both places, and when on the grid the phone app even syncs w/ what the car is currently playing. I’ve seen lots of improvement to Spotify from Tesla, all much appreciated!

Reactions: bpjod
My almost 3 month old 2021 Model 3 updated to 2021.4.18 overnight. We just ran a few errands, no problems.

I could tell from TeslaMate that the update took 31 minutes. And the next hour was "online" then back to sleep.
I'm using TeslaMate as well and I thought the update was coming because I saw A LOT of online time the day before - hours long for most of the sessions. After the update it's back to what looks like a normal cycle of waking up and going online for a few minutes at a time.

However, since I've only had TeslaMate running for a couple of weeks, I'm not quite sure what "normal" is.

Did you notice anything like that?

I'm using TeslaMate as well and I thought the update was coming because I saw A LOT of online time the day before - hours long for most of the sessions. After the update it's back to what looks like a normal cycle of waking up and going online for a few minutes at a time. However, since I've only had TeslaMate running for a couple of weeks, I'm not quite sure what "normal" is. Did you notice anything like that?
I've only been running TeslaMate for about two months so I'm still learning too. Lots to learn.

I did not notice a lot of online time the day before. On 5/18 around 9 am there was two hours of "offline." Not sure why that occurred, our internet connection and WiFi has been fine.

On 5/19 it was online for 27 minutes starting at 6:38 pm. Maybe that was the download? We got the update notice on our iPhones after that, and the update was applied starting at 9:54 pm for 31 minutes.

Because they trashed our UI months ago and then walked away and went completely silent. If they had just left the UI in a good state and just done normal bug fix updates for the last 5 months almost nobody would be complaining.
As a new owner of a 21' Model 3 that has zero complaints with the UI so far...can you elaborate how they trashed the UI? Genuinely curious as I have no idea what the software looked like prior to taking delivery.

Reactions: BDV300
As a new owner of a 21' Model 3 that has zero complaints with the UI so far...can you elaborate how they trashed the UI? Genuinely curious as I have no idea what the software looked like prior to taking delivery.
There are good comparisons on YouTube from when the new UI was introduced (December 2020). Ben Sullins did a decently fair comparison video on it specifically, but there are others.

As is often the case, there is a bias that's difficult to get over on forums. Only people that have problems or complaints post, the majority is silent and happy. I know some people have been very vocal about the changes being negative but I for one don't find them that bad. Make your own opinion by looking at the videos @smogne41 refers to.

I created playlists on Qobuz of the top 1043 classic rock songs of all time (104.3 in NYC) in increments of 50, and then also combined them into one big playlist that I can throw on shuffle. About 50% of the songs are in a hi-res, better than CD, format, 24/44, 24/96 or 24/192. What I really want is to be able to play these directly in hi-res, but we are limited to using Bluetooth on the phone to the Tesla.

I don't need Spotify if I use this but would like a hi-res service to be added with the next big update. Tidal has been rumored.

Probably a good thing since you bought your car with the current UI. It used to look like this picture. Speed display front and center, and with a lot more symmetry than the jumbled mess that it is now.

The map display shrunk to make the driving visualization portion larger. On cars with HW2.5, it's a huge wasted space since HW2.5 cars don't display traffic light and such, so those cars now have a huge blank display in the driving visualization and with a shrunken map.

Attachments

• speedo.JPG
    speedo.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 104
Probably a good thing since you bought your car with the current UI. It used to look like this picture. Speed display front and center, and with a lot more symmetry than the jumbled mess that it is now.

The map display shrunk to make the driving visualization portion larger. On cars with HW2.5, it's a huge wasted space since HW2.5 cars don't display traffic light and such, so those cars now have a huge blank display in the driving visualization and with a shrunken map.
I got mine last month with older UI and it didnt bother me.

Wow! This update made a good improvement to NoAP. My car now speeds up a little to make a lane change when cars are behind me in the lane I want to get into. Before others would flash their high beams at me to tell me it was okay to change but AP will never do it.

One thing it hasn't done is be more aggressive when merging. It still tried to take an on ramp at 48mph while others are flying by at 70-75mph. I usually take the ramp at 55mph and power out at the end to 65-70 while looking for a gap to either slow down or speed up to merge. AP took it all the way to the end of the lane and I was getting leap frogged. I had to manually take over.